Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Wuvvums' Random Ramblings on the Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This was made as to not derail Grak's topic. I also don't intend to rant as much, but I do have a bit to ramble on about. I'm going to do my best to not be offensive, and focus on roleplay rather than singling out people or groups.

That being said the first rant off topic was about...

Lesbians and stereotyping

I know some people feel more comfortable rping as a woman, and feel more comfortable being paired with women, but there's something about the lesbian roleplay that doesn't sit well with me. Perhaps, because as it's implied, it seems people are making roleplay centered around lesbians as a genre rather than just have a character who happens to be a lesbian. I am not involved in any of this personally, but it seems that it's made out to be a gimmick.

Oddly enough I've seen the inverse of this as well, but not on CotH, perhaps because the male models don't lend themselves well to this. I have more than once seen a pair of girls roleplay yaoi together in public comments on deviantart and they pretty much end up ERPing (yes, in public comments). Almost always the girls are rping out the uke/seme stereotypes (pretty much submissive/dominant) and always making the men so effeminate you can barely recognize them as men. They're always one being shy and blushing while the other is sort of being forward and suggestive.

Either way there seems to be a lot of stereotypes and fetishizing applied to both lesbian and yaoi roleplay. It seems a lot of lesbian rp is cutesy, naïve and flirty while yaoi is very feminine, and both are rather lustful. I could see why others would choose to bash this type of roleplay, it has less to do with being gay and more to do with how the rp is centered around the orientation, and to some extent done in the most fan-servicey way possible.

Some people are probably going to say “but I'm in a lesbian rp that's really deep!,” but I feel like this argument still stands. Some people just want the kind of relationship that's the most attractive and appealing to them.

I wish I could articulate my argument in a more coherent way than that.

Maybe we should just be friends

I've decided to avoid romance in general lately. I really like pairings and I am such a mush for romance, but I realized that it seems that pairing a character definitely leads to a lack of interest in it later. Then again I am an alt-a-holic.

I found with Carana I can have roleplay where the character can enjoy the same intimacy or bonding with another character and still not date, and be just friends. I think it makes things less complicated and puts less pressure on logging onto the character just to hang out with their significant other.

Friends can offer a close bond and relationship. They can be someone to hang out with. They can be your shoulder to cry on. They can be there when you need them to be and it just feels like from a roleplaying standpoint a friend can do everything my character could want. I think I've felt a lot less pressure on a character when I know I don't have to log in to keep their significant other interested.

That being said I think I may retcon most of these relationships if we have a server restart in Cataclysm.

Spoiler:
I know I'd like to keep Taeva with Tzekel if Hawk doesn't mind because their relationship is actually rather fun and quirky. I'd also like to keep all pairings with Rigley because of obvious reasons <3

That's not to say that I won't avoid all romance. I think it just won't be the first option for my character's relationship for someone unless I go roll a married couple with a friend.

How I roll

I'm starting to think that in PvE events there really shouldn't be much reason to roll against the DM. Unless you're going up against something special, the cannon fodder shouldn't really need to be put on equal par with the player.

I came up with some simple idea of how a fight could be like if it's PvE. Imagine it as a rolling scale.

1-20 is a complete miss
21-49 is a weak attack, one that really wouldn't be detrimental to the foe
50+ is a standard or strong attack.

The idea is that you don't have to beat the DM's rolls to hit. It also gives this idea that more often than not you'll hit your foe but maybe you won't hit hard enough, or maybe the foe is sturdy, or maybe you're physically weak. Either way, I think it gives the player more morale than missing almost every turn of the event, especially when the event is large enough that you may have 5-7 minutes between each attack you can get.

The idea is that constant hits, even if they are weak, are probably a more accurate representation of the character's competence and ability towards fighting. I think most people with a weapon are likely to hit a few times but not hit hard enough. The case where you have to beat a DM's roll and miss if you don't gives the idea that your character can't hit the broad side of a demolisher with their sword. I think a sliding scale would be a much more fair and balanced system considering how simple it is.

I remember when I played dungeons and dragons we usually never had to roll against the DM's rolls to see who made the hit. We just had to beat their armor class, and we had a bonus to our rolls depending on our character's skills and abilities. Sometimes we missed completely but sometimes when we failed the roll the DM would describe that our blow glanced right off the enemy. I wanted to sort of match that concept.

I hope an idea like this for PvE will catch on. At least then the effectiveness of the fighting won't be entirely based off of who rolls better.

The Island of Indulgence

Perhaps I'm not in the right clique or seeing the right rp, but when I go to Asholme it feels less like it's an evil island and more like it's indulgent. I guess the idea of villains getting their own haven and utopia feels rather strange. Perhaps it's because I feel like it's more compelling to face adversity, and it's more compelling to be the underdog. And I am definitely one to like villain rp, but I think I would rather prefer the types that are fighting for some cause(it could even be a misguided one) than just vie for the greatest amount of power that they have.

That being said I don't mind Asholme. I know I can't say whether I love it or I hate it without stepping on someone's toes, but I've been using it for rp from time to time and haven't had much problem with it. I do feel uneasy, however. Asholme is like Duke Nukem Forever. It had a long time of planning, and a lot of anticipation, and I don't think it would be able to live up to the hype that surrounded it. I'm just afraid for all that's been put into it it'll either peter out, or some drastic measures will have to be done to pump life and interest into the rp spot.

I don't wish for it to fail, however. I wish well for Asholme, even if it's rather controversial and indulgent. To wish any less would be.. well, mean-spirited and I don't have any reason to want to see the place fail. On the most part I am uneasy but I want to see good happen to it.

Prestiges

I must admit I am one of the many that was rather excited to see a new prestige system come out and I was definitely eager to try... except I didn't know which prestige I wanted to do and for what character. And after awhile I thought of some but realized that overall, I didn't want to take the time and the effort involved for it.

I'm not really offering any feedback or criticism to the prestige system. I'm just saying that I realized that I lost interest in prestige characters. I am even considering retiring my steamwarrior, Railey, though I will still offer her as a teacher to people seeking the prestige. I believe if we have a restart for Cataclysm I won't be remaking my prestige character.

Does anyone else feel the same about any of their own prestiges, by the way? I'm just curious.

Anyways, that's all I have for right now. I hope I didn't step on too many toes and I hope everything came across as clear as I would want to.

((Also I don't mind if you find a topic that derails this thread. I don't expect everyone to need to make a new thread just because another subject came up))

Edit: Some more thoughts

Antisocial Awkwardness

This one has been bothering me a bit lately. I have a hard time playing characters that are awkward, shy, quiet or antisocial. It feels like every time I want to rp someone who is inept at social skills I end up being very outgoing and chatty with other folks ICly. I think that may be my nature, it may be because I want to be a part of the roleplay, or I just may be forgetting that I'm not rping the character the way I want to.

Because of that if you notice Maya becoming a little more quiet and different it's because I'm trying to turn her back to what she was before I had that spurt of social roleplay. It feels awkward doing a complete 180 like that but I accidentally had a few days where I rped her as I hadn't intended.

And I don't mind playing social butterflies but I'd like one character that's asocial and a weirdo.
MUST... MAKE... RANT... TOPIC... MUST... DERAIL...

Jokes aside, the DM system you proposed has been incorporated in the Demonifuge. And it does make more sense than rolling against the DM.

(And I bet my soul that it'd make Hawk and Grakor happy not to miss in every event they participate in.)
Ohmygah why didn't I find this out sooner? D:
Wuvvums Wrote:I found with Carana I can have roleplay where the character can enjoy the same intimacy or bonding with another character and still not date, and be just friends. I think it makes things less complicated and puts less pressure on logging onto the character just to hang out with their significant other.
I've been through both sides of this statement. It's kind of nice when Irogh flirts (and is shot down) with Krona, though I'm pretty sure neither one of us wants to peruse a relationship. In fact I think it annoys her, meh, we're still more or less co-workers than friends away.

I don't like finding myself in the relationships mentioned in bold. Especially if it's an every-day-all-day thing. This applies to non-romance too. If you need a break from me, you're not going to hurt my feelings. There are days when I need to break from my main and grab an alt. You know what a salad tastes like when you've been eating cow for a week? Yeah that.

To throw a wrench: Hey where's the middle-road? I don't think I've seen/heard or participated in any one-night-stands, one single date, blind dates, or double dates. It's either a commitment or a chastity belt.
Man, I almost posted a rant here. BUT! I don't actually care enough.

Basically, men can play heterosexual women and women can play heterosexual men without violating their precious moral blocks. Heck, you don't even have to ERP ever, just be a character. I know from experience that playing the opposite gender is tough, but it can be rewarding if you find a character you really enjoy through it.
(08-02-2011, 10:14 PM)Ural Wrote: [ -> ]To throw a wrench: Hey where's the middle-road? I don't think I've seen/heard or participated in any one-night-stands, one single date, blind dates, or double dates. It's either a commitment or a chastity belt.

Actually I've been having characters who can still be rather cuddly and affectionate to their friends. I've also had friends with benefits. Sometimes it's far from being chaste, I just don't want to feel like my character is in a romantic relationship with someone else.

And Kaghuros: I can relate. I only have a tiny handful of male characters and I don't log into them often. There's only two I like to keep rping.

Spoiler:
And of those two one's a MtF transsexual and the other is a eunuch.
Quote:Some people just want the kind of relationship that's the most attractive and appealing to them.

"So?" Honest question there, why does it matter so much? For some it's just a fetish, others may engage in really deep romances.. As I posted in the other thread, I don't let it bother me because it's just RP. I'm fine with any kind of RP as long as both parties are comfortable with it, even if it's something as a lustful lesbian scene.. Heck, I just have fun. Anything I do in here isn't related to RL and shouldn't be for anyone else. As such, any respect and toleration of lesbians that I have, stays the same even if people ended up ERPing all over the place in normal chats. (We all know that ain't allowed nor should it be, just saying.) If people want a simple relationship like that, let them have it.

Bashing anyone's RP itself, is quite disrespectful if done in the improper ways. Loose comments in say regarding players in x location, or that there are too many of Y always annoyed me. Perhaps we all know it, but why do you have to say it? People enjoy the RP, and don't take kindly to comments aimed that their RP should be less, or in a other location. (This is actually a quite decent post, so it's not aimed at this one but just in general.)

Quote:I've decided to avoid romance in general lately. I really like pairings and I am such a mush for romance, but I realized that it seems that pairing a character definitely leads to a lack of interest in it later. Then again I am an alt-a-holic.

Though, I admit that pairing characters for me have been an issue as well at times because I was overly-active and the other wasn't. I find it hard to RP somebody, who's made to RP with somebody else from the start. Hence why I love Kyl, she's of such chaotic nature that she can do what she wants, where she wants and possibly, with who she wants.

How I roll bit ;

Interesting, I feel like I have to try it out some point. From one point of view, it's more fun if you don't have to beat somebody's roll, but on the other hand, the numbers might be too easy. I like a challenge, so I'd say the normal attack to be 60+ but hey, that's for everyone to tinker at for themselves.

Asholme ; Can't say anything about it, haven't read the entire thread or visited it once.

Prestiges ; I think my opinion about this is pretty well known, I'd be more tempted if it would be less work at least, but still, the temptation to actually try one would be too little. But hey, I won't go that far into it again like I've done in the previous posts.

Quote:I have a hard time playing characters that are awkward, shy, quiet or antisocial. It feels like every time I want to rp someone who is inept at social skills I end up being very outgoing and chatty with other folks ICly. I think that may be my nature, it may be because I want to be a part of the roleplay, or I just may be forgetting that I'm not rping the character the way I want to.

The thing is here, as you said. You want to be part of the roleplay, not near the roleplay or at it. Antisocial characters, aren't made to be actually part of any RP as the difficulties they face alone of just opening their mouth to talk, are too big to over come and thus they stay quiet. I never truly got the idea of rolling an antisocial character myself, because I would always be on my own. Where's the fun in that?

Shy is something else, you can be shy yet social. It's all about the balance you put into it. Maybe the character can talk, but the moment it comes too close she gains a major blush and runs off. Maybe she's actually too afraid to ask things, but whenever she doesn't need to ask questions she's decent at talking. Maybe she isn't the one to open up conversations herself, and rather listens till somebody actually talks to her and so on. ^^

I do believe people are free to rp what they want, but others are just as free to hold their opinions and feelings on it. I think part of the bashing towards lesbian rp is mostly because the stereotyping of women can become offensive quite easily. I think I gave a rough equivalent with yaoi rp, some of these people get a little carried away with how they stereotype gay men.

And stereotypes aren't something we can avoid 100%, but at the same time we shouldn't expect people to passively accept others indulging in the stereotypes. I just feel like it's bringing apart this idea that women are just more likeable if they are passive, shy, naive and sexually inclined. To some extent it doesn't seem to fit in with WoW that well either. Not saying that such a thing couldn't exist on WoW, but a scantily-clad, half-naked woman shouldn't really be considered a typical or normal thing to so. It'd be like if you walked out in the middle of town wearing nothing but a metal bikini. You'd probably be regarded as strange.

So yes, they are free to rp that but I also feel like I'm free to "bash" or feel offended by it. It doesn't really sit well on me when my sex is portrayed like this... and it's seen as alright to view women as things you can make for the sake of being appealing to have more appealing roleplay.

As for the antisocial bit I do find rather quiet characters that face adversity to be rather fun. I was part of the roleplay when I was social and upfront, but I had a more fun time when my character was facing a lot of scorn or being bullied for being such a strange character.
Quote:I do believe people are free to rp what they want, but others are just as free to hold their opinions and feelings on it.

Absolutely, everyone is allowed and has an opinion regarding everything, but in my opinion ; Opinions should only be freely passed out when it does not offend or hampers people their RP. You are free to have the opinion, but why express it when the only thing it will achieve, is to either annoy people, hurt them, hamper their RP and so on.

I'm sure others will feel differently, and as such is the joy with opinions. ^^ There are many out there, in many different sizes, shapes and forms. Each one is different then the other.

Quote:So yes, they are free to rp that but I also feel like I'm free to "bash" or feel offended by it. It doesn't really sit well on me when my sex is portrayed like this... and it's seen as alright to view women as things you can make for the sake of being appealing to have more appealing roleplay.

But why do you chose to be offended by it? Why is it such a big offensive thing towards you that you can't just.. Look away? That you can't just tell yourself that you don't have to like it, and move on? I don't think anyone that is active in these lesbian nuances, see women as playthings in any way. What people RP, is not what they think in RL. Now do not take this the wrong way, as I do not mean it badly at all but ; I get the feeling from the lesbian thing, that you chose to be offended because you simply want to and/or can be.

I've seen plenty of things that I don't like, yet I haven't made a big deal out of it at the same time. Please don't take it the wrong way Wuvv, if I'm wrong then by all means say so why.

Quote:It'd be like if you walked out in the middle of town wearing nothing but a metal bikini. You'd probably be regarded as strange.

I personally always believed that if you wear so little as that, that at least human guards fine you for it or possibly throw you into jail for public indecency. All races are different and it's debatable how each race responds however ; But I agree, it wouldn't be a normal thing. Then again, what stands for a "Bikini plate outfit" is debatable as well. On one side, it covers everything no? On the other, it shows a lot. For some too much, for others too little. *Shrug*

But hey, it is a fantasy game and in a lot of fantasy games, these things are acceptable. There are no rules on CotH thus far stating otherwise so in a sense, it's allowed. It might have IC consequences, but who's around to hand those out? Not many people that pay attention to it, or that have complained about it to make it known as a problem.

Quote:but I had a more fun time when my character was facing a lot of scorn or being bullied for being such a strange character.

Fair enough, I can't say I ever truly tried a 100% to shape a character that way. ^^ My characters may have had some stingy spots, or quiet moments but.. In general each is rather social.
I never like the idea where we should simply ignore the things we are offended by and find to be wrong. It breeds complacency and doesn't solve the issue of stereotyping and placing a group under a certain image. I'm not sure if it happens specifically with the lesbian rp here but I can say plenty of time I've seen female characters played by males where they are in the metal bikinis and scantily clad for no particular reason. I've also seen female characters who were describe as being "innocent as a baby" and were made to be so naive they looked like idiots.

It's just perpetuating this idea that it's okay to make a woman like this because people will find it more appealing and like it more. I just don't like the idea that naively stupid women are going to be more popular, but then again I'm probably just cynical at the bigger picture that I'm living in a culture where women are constantly being sexualized and used specifically for appeal. What I see in the rp is just a smaller part of a big problem in our culture.
*Nod nod* I understand then. Mhm..

I guess it all comes down to with who you RP with. I've ignored plenty of things, not being bothered by them but granted, my RP friend's group is quite small at this stage. I guess that's the side effect off it. ^^

But hey, maybe there are others who share your view and maybe it's an actual problem that's arising on the server. I'm never sure about such things so it's probably best to let others into this topic now. Teehee.

*Hugs Wuv and runs off*

.. Still, this thread reminded me of guard guidelines again. Perhaps a guide to dressing sense to what you can wear without IC consequences, and can't.. But that's best left in the hands of the GM's, for each player has a different view. (And while GM's have that as well at times, they could probably reach a middle ground for all of us better then we can.)
I'm glad you can understand to some extent. I don't mean to put down any specific rp, I just feel bothered and it's something that few people can understand unless they are a woman and have grown up as one. What I'm seeing on CotH is a small bit of that culture leaking in where the ideal woman is one like we're seeing with the scantily clad.

I'm not sure if it'll ever become a "problem" for the server but it's so much bigger than CotH itself.
(08-02-2011, 10:37 PM)Kaghuros Wrote: [ -> ]I know from experience that playing the opposite gender is tough,

I isolated that portion for one reason:

IT IS!?

I play mostly female characters (especially on WoW) for multiple reasons:

1) I grew up with aunts, girl cousins, Britney Spears, Shania Twain, Shakira, P!nk, and all of them to boot.

2) From ^ listed experiences, I am more used to females.

3) I am a writer at heart, therefore I try to make myself as equal with both sexes as possible.

4) IMHO, all the male models in this game look like they do drugs and steroids in a dirty toilet stall in New York (save for Tauren men, I love my moomoo on Retail)

5) ???

~~~

Now with all this, I am a boy, I can play a male, and I will, honestly, but I don't very often because I can't play the heroic, dashing, daredevil, chivalrous paladin. That's not who I am at all. Period. I am sarcastic, a joker, from a post by Squirrel on Rate the Person Above thread a deergirl, liar, and I won't cease to do something if I know for a fact that it annoys someone I am really close to.

~~~

Onto playing gay/lesbian characters.... I wish they didn't happen if it only for one thing: the term "gay" used horribly.

Quote:gay   [gey] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
adjective
having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.

Gay is not a bad word. I will not cease to stop all conversation to tell someone that gay means happy.
Quote:Onto playing gay/lesbian characters.... I wish they didn't happen if it only for one thing: the term "gay" used horribly.

Quote:gay   [gey] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
adjective
having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.

Gay is not a bad word. I will not cease to stop all conversation to tell someone that gay means happy.

I'm... Afraid I don't follow you, on this part.

Are you saying people shouldn't participate in such relationships serverside because the original meaning of the word Gay is, "happy?" To describe homosexual relationships as gay relationships doesn't necessarily mean we're making gay into a bad word... Or am I not following properly?

Would you rather we use homosexual? That's so formal... Bleh. I'd prefer to use the words gay and lesbian, personally.

I dunno. Personally, I describe myself and a number of my characters as romantically indiscriminate. But that's just 'cause it's fun to say and type out.
I am not sure if this was already a given answer, butfir the lesbian RP argument you gave:
I make characters with an already given orientation, and then let others decide if they would like to join. I do not force it upon anyone, as well as the fact I don't do it for the sake of having a "hawt lesbi/bi" relationship... I do it because I honestly feel more comfortable and at ease RPing a character that connects to me.

P.S. If you don't get what I meant you can PM me for an explanation to the last line
Pages: 1 2 3