Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: MisterNiven's Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player: I don’t know if you mean as a game player or as a role-player, so I’ll answer for both. As a game player, I focus on titles that are plot-driven over those that are just fighting for the sake of fighting. To me, a good game is something that pulls you in much like a good book; one you can’t put down because you’re so eager to see what happens next. Personally, I’ll always be a writer first, and a gamer second. So naturally as a writer I love to role-play. My most preferred method of writing cooperatively, however, is very much like a collaborative novel. What I mean is when I write I’m never lazy about it. I write long, detailed and immersive posts. I focus on character depth and growth, progression and conflicts; I always try to make things interesting, to keep the story going. In virtually everything I role-play I’m the one who’s relegated to driving the plot. Unfortunately. I personally wish sometimes that I could role-play with someone who was as able and willing to drive a story as I am.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?: My primary language is English, of course. I come from Canada, where I was born, and I’ve had a very solid grasp of the English language even when I was younger. In middle-school and high-school I would write short stories and snippets of scenes that would play out in my head. Unfortunately I rarely finish any of the stories I write on my own. It feels so isolated. I much prefer having another person to bounce my ideas off of. It’s interesting and fun to see how another person will react to an interaction I’ve written, which is the primary reason why I role-play in the first place.

How did you get into Warcraft?: I actually haven’t yet. Frankly, I’m still trying to install everything so I can play and eventually (hopefully) get onto this role-playing server. To be honest, I’ve been avoiding WoW like the plague for the longest time because of all the terrible things I’ve heard about MMORPGs in the past. Things like PvP, PKers, spammers and griefers. It’s one of the reasons why I’ve avoided any sort of competitive online game in the past. I’ve never been fond of playing against other people because of the way they tend to behave or react, and myself being particularly thin-skinned and a bit of a sore loser.

What made you seek our server over others? (Or how did you find us?): I friend of mine pointed me to your server, actually. He’s already a member here and he’s been telling me about all the exciting things that take place here, and how this server is so much nicer and friendlier (and freer) than the others. And it’s an RP server to boot. So I thought I’d come and check it out, to see if it might be something I could get into.

What kinds of role-play do you enjoy?: Genre-wise, I tend to lean towards fantasy and science fiction, but I’ve dabbled in other areas before as well, such as adventure and horror. As for writing style, I almost exclusively write in third-person past-tense. Anything else just feels awkward or too personal to me. I prefer to think of myself as the puppet master rather than the character themselves. It’s a form of voyeurism that keeps me in my comfort zone.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?: I’ve not yet familiarized myself with the character races and classes of World of Warcraft, but if I were to pick from the most common class traits, I’d have to say that wizards/mages and warriors/barbarians, have always been my favorites in the past. They’re two extremes I’ve always enjoyed. One has little to no defense and must rely heavily on magic, while the other has little magic and relies primarily on his or her own physical might. As for what race specific to WoW I like, I’d have to go with the only one I really know anything about, which is the Tauren. But then, I have a thing for cute fuzzy critters.

What are your expectations of this server?: I don’t really know what to expect from this server, to be honest. For all I know I could make this effort to get involved only to find it to hard or stressful or just difficult to maintain an interested in. Or I could be obsessed with it from now into the foreseeable future. I never go into anything with high expectations. All I expect from this server really, is to be accepted, and met by friendly people that are willing to help me if I lose my way. I guess what I expect is a well-rounded community. Which I suppose is probably a high expectation, but it’s also one that’s promised by this very site, so I can at least hope to expect it.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?: Frankly, I find the all generally appealing, since I agree with all of them, however specifically, I find the ones regarding tolerance, humility and grammar to be the most appealing. Some of the rules I see in there I know are only there because if they weren’t people wouldn’t have the common sense the know NOT to break them on their own. I’m also glad to see that a distinction between in-character behavior and out-of-character behavior is made very clear, because I was afraid role-playing as a bad character would immediately put me in danger of being banned. I sure hope to see these rules properly enforced and likewise universally understood on the server.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

For my example, I’m just going to use an introductory post from a role-play of mine, if that’s alright. I’d have thought of something else to write more in the theme of WoW, but at the moment I’m rather impatient to start playing. So I hope this’ll be okay. To be honest though, I don’t expect any opportunities to write as verbosely as this in a WoW role-play.

From atop her high perch, Moxy watched the human festivities below, the burning fire pits, the obnoxious hooting and howling, blaring music and drunkenness; an absolutely repugnant ritual that to this day she was unable to fathom the motive behind. At least a third of the twinkling fires in the evening landscape were host to these revolting social gatherings, and having to inspect each one had been an assault to each and every one of her senses, natural and unnatural. The real insult of course, had been the demand by her associate that she be on reconnaissance duty yet again.

As if her God-given gift of flight had made her the only choice for a survey of the local territory; any other of the four-legged brats her associate had acquired could’ve easily handled the ground cover. But no, the beast of a leader needed a quick, detailed survey. There was absolutely no patience in the scoundrel’s body, she was sure of it. Everything had to be done quickly, swiftly and efficiently with as little possible time wasted.

To make matters worse, right from the start of her intelligence gathering, she’d been targeted and hounded by a falcon local to the area; the bastard had swooped down without an inkling of warning and pulled several feathers it his attempt to snatch her on the initial strike. She’d managed to escape with calculated maneuvers and creative use of the forest’s foliage, but every time she’d thought she’d lost the monstrosity, he would rear his ugly head again. For now, though, the skies were clear.

The raven flexed her wings and cocked her head to the side to view the ‘merriment’ below with her unaltered eye. Even in the failing light she was still able to see the activities of the humans below and what she saw was a group of teenagers throwing scraps of food to a fox that was either having an aneurysm or soaring higher than a firecracker on the Fourth of July. Granted it wasn’t an unusual sight to see other animals pandering to the human flock in exchange for an easy meal; this fox however seemed just a little bit more than tipsy.

Cocking her head to the other side, she viewed the scene from a much different perspective. The ground below became aglow with a spectrum of colors as the cybernetic eye embedded in her skull and wired into her brain, whirred to life; the hot bodies milling about below glowed red, showing to her every body in the area that wasn’t obscured by the trees. In her field of vision she observed the humans as they tossed food, the fox as it rolled around drunkenly, and several smaller creatures near the perimeter of the camp.

Satisfied that there was nothing of interest, she closed her eyelids over the unnatural device in her eye-socket, cringing from the pain that burrowed into her head with every use. The less she had to use the infernal device the better, though it had proven useful in the past, both during tasks with her associate and back when she was a pawn for the humans that had replaced her natural eye with this perverted aberration of science. Ironically, back then she was used for the same thing as she was now: an eye in the sky, a spy, a reconnaissance drone; a stooge, a puppet, a tool.

Moxy grimaced darkly as a gust of wind brushed past.

Without warning the falcon slammed into her, flinging her off the tree branch she’d been resting on and out into the open air. “Found you, pretty!” he shrieked, triumphantly. “Now run! Give daddy the chase!”

There was little choice in the matter. The Falcon hadn’t attempted to snatch her up immediately, so she opened her wings and flapped frantically to regain her balance as she plummeted uncomfortably close to the earth. The wind caught her aloft just short of the peaks of the lowest trees, but there was no time to waste. Behind her, the falcon shrieked a battle-cry as he swooped down towards her. Larger and faster, he caught up quickly, but by then Moxy had calculated her next maneuver. Torquing the angle of her wings and tail feathers she veered sharply into the nearest tree, twisting and folding herself tightly enough to punch through a narrow opening in a copse of tree-branches.

Foiled for the moment the falcon shrieked a curse and proceeded to fly around to intercept. Meanwhile, Moxy struggled to remain aloft without wind and innumerable obstacles in her path. Swerving and ducking and swaying, she failed to navigate her way through the dense brush and eventually struck a branch broad-side and plummeted to the forest floor.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?: I’m just curious about one thing, really. And that’s whether this server focuses on JUST the aspect of role-playing or if leveling and fighting monsters/completing quests and the like, are equally valued. I ask because I’ve never actually had the opportunity the play the game itself, and if it’s only focused on story-telling (which I do appreciate greatly), it’ll end up taking away from other aspects of the WoW game itself.
Hello there MisterNivens, and welcome to CotH.

If you haven't done so yet, it's worth glancing over our Wiki to take a look at the rules, see our guidelines for making a character and perhaps even look over a few approved profiles while you're there. I waste far too much time reading as it is, and I still like to browse it every once in a while.

You are perfectly welcome to play through the game, but you may find that most other people's focus is on roleplaying and storytelling. The emulation core is still quite buggy, and a lot of quests still do not work. If you really want a decent experience when it comes to playing through the game, retail is your best, if not only, shot.

Thank you for the story!

I hope you enjoy your time here. Do feel free to PM me if you have any further queries. I'll try and answer to the best of my ability.