Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Rigley Rants: On Criticism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This one is a serious one.

I'm really tired of criticism. Or lack thereof. I'm tired of criticism which comes only in the form of 'what you have spent a month of your time seeing to fruition -sucks-, and not getting any explanation as to why.

I don't put all of my effort into CotH, because god knows some of my attention has to be directed towards college. However I put enough into it for it to matter to me; enough to make me disappointed when my ideas and events fail, and happy when they are successful. There's enough of my effort into what I do at CotH that I honestly care what people think of my work. Many people feel the same about their characters and their stories, events, everything else-- and to have these things dismissed without explanation is just about the equivalent of spitting in the face of the creator.

So please, don't have the gall to tell me I should know better. Don't assume I dodge away from a better option for time's sake or effort's sake, because such things are usually out of my control. If you see something I've done on this server then take it as a serious effort, and respond to it as such-- So many times I've seen people explode into anger over a lack of X kind of events, or Y kind of RP; if you have a gripe bring it up, because believe it or not I read these things.

u mad? Yes, I am. Because I realize that to some this is all trivial, but those same people will become just as enraged over petty matters too. In the grand scheme of things my IC Currency pitch or my events may not bat an eye to me years down the line, but it's what I'm working with now and it's what I want to improve.

Improve is the key word here.

So if you have a critique of my building, or my posts, don't just sit back and expect me to get your magical epiphany and ascend to your level of intellectual brilliance. I may not view it the same way as you do and that's fine, but when you start to tear down my thoughts in your circles of friends at least try to back up your argument. At least try to explain to me why you hate my work. Because otherwise there is no improvement; just anger and anger, and eventually it will all just explode.

Which is what this is. I don't get angry often, but this cowardly stance assumed by people is something I can no longer stand.

Now feel free to run off and talk to one another about how Rigley's overreacting, and how trivial my anger is. I'll be there the next time someone is frothing at the mouth over a removed system or implemented restriction.
Hey, you know what? You're right.
What I keep noticing is how CotH seems to be terribly spoiled.

Frankly, rather than thinking back on how bad things used to be, the more it feels like people expect more. Just more, as if every single person responsible for how CotH works (Inb4 someone says "I'm just a forum helper and shouldn't get arrogant") and simply disregard the fact the server has improved over the course of years.

This comes down from the bottom of the hierarchy here, and flies to it's very top.

Nobody roleplays like I want them to, so I'll just sit around on an OOC zone and do absolutely nothing to change it. - Then proceed to blame the staff.

A GM announces an event for half an hour and five people show up, with fifty online. - Then complain about the lack of events (Seriously?)

...And forum helpers. I think insofar I've at least received the kindness of not being told people's actual opinion of me, to my face. Except for the few who have, and kudos for that.

I always remark how my feedback thread has fifteen or so people saying how utterly perfect I am (or almost) at my job, then people complain on how we're being too strict, too lenient - Or too slow (this honestly infuriates me. It used to take -one week-. Now it takes a single day. And you're complaining at us being slow. Nice.) on profiles.

I mean, honestly. Every single forum helper (or at least most) and every single GM (or at least most²) has a feedback thread. Why the hell those go unused if people have so many problems over how every little thing on the server is ran?

But hey, maybe I'm biased. Maybe I'm just unlucky to log into CotH and watch people b***h at one thing or another and do absolutely nothing to change it. Every day.

Maybe I just log in when all the pessimists are online.

Anyway, sorry to use your rant to rant more, Rigley. I've just wanted to say this for a while now, and it felt like a good opportunity.
The only thing that I can say on the matter, for you personally Rigley, is that you work a bit too hard. I may be wrong, and simply log on whenever you're on your down time, but I feel that over the course of the past year or two your time in-game has consisted of being thrust into the middle of conflicts, being called over to spawn something, or busting your ass to make an event which as has been said above, people seldom end up coming to despite a demand. It isn't you, it isn't what you're doing, it isn't what you're not doing: It's the simple fact that people, at times, are not interested.

That being said, the entire point of this thread, is that I personally feel that you work a tad too hard. Like I said, I may be online at the wrong times, but I hardly ever see you RP anymore. I miss times like the exchange between my bandit and Rigley in the tavern, or traversing the tunnels of Gnomeregan together back in the days of the GSF. That was fun for me, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that it was at least meagerly pleasant for yourself. That's why we Role Play after all, isn't it? So rather than some rant about how you need to do more, do better, think harder, or please everyone, I simply request that you ease your seat beat, hop onto a character you truly enjoy, and engage in a simple RP with a few friends.

Spoiler:
If not seeing you RP is simply a conflict of schedules then you can disregard this entire post Riggers. :3

(10-10-2011, 03:54 PM)Beltharean Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing that I can say on the matter, for you personally Rigley, is that you work a bit too hard. I may be wrong, and simply log on whenever you're on your down time, but I feel that over the course of the past year or two your time in-game has consisted of being thrust into the middle of conflicts, being called over to spawn something, or busting your ass to make an event which as has been said above, people seldom end up coming to despite a demand. It isn't you, it isn't what you're doing, it isn't what you're not doing: It's the simple fact that people, at times, are not interested.

That being said, the entire point of this thread, is that I personally feel that you work a tad too hard. Like I said, I may be online at the wrong times, but I hardly ever see you RP anymore. I miss times like the exchange between my bandit and Rigley in the tavern, or traversing the tunnels of Gnomeregan together back in the days of the GSF. That was fun for me, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that it was at least meagerly pleasant for yourself. That's why we Role Play after all, isn't it? So rather than some rant about how you need to do more, do better, think harder, or please everyone, I simply request that you ease your seat beat, hop onto a character you truly enjoy, and engage in a simple RP with a few friends.

Spoiler:
If not seeing you RP is simply a conflict of schedules then you can disregard this entire post Riggers. :3

I have realized this lately, actually. I'll admit I spend more time fretting over building or event planning/running more than RPing, but I have a certain paranoia which I have never been able to shake. It's one of inadequacy and in a way it slants my view of praise I get as being patronizing or insincere (in the friendly way, I assure you).

I suppose it's the reasoning that I would rather be seen as an overworking GM than one which is insufficient. But I do feel there is an amount of criticism which goes unspoken on, and only really culminates once someone feels the need to put out a ragepost.

...Uh. Similar to this one, I guess.

Glad I managed to mellow out again.
I'll toss this out here. I don't have a wall of text of intelligible thoughts and a rock solid position which I can amplify with a great deal of facts. That being said, I cringed. When I read the whole thing, it kind of felt like a nasty truth. I forced myself to read through, and frankly the rant seemed more aggressive then most, but maybe that's what makes it so effective? The best offer I can place in my so far neutral stand is a quote, and I apologize if this isn't very useful to you.

"A foolish man delves in the ten losses. A wise man comforts himself with one."

Either way, this rant was very pressing and to the point. Feel better!
Here we go again.

There’s a heavy sentiment around my area, geared towards people my age who like to talk about politics. In short it reads ‘if you didn’t vote, don’t cry about it’. I used to actually have some issue with that for a reason I can’t recall by now, but as I’ve grown up I’ve come to be pretty in-line with the message that they’re gunning for in it.

If you don’t try and change something, don’t complain about it.

See, I don’t think I’m an unreasonable person. I’ve never penalized anyone for saying anything negative about me— only explained the ground I take my stand on, and concede where it is needed. I do not attempt to ban people for criticizing me, nor do I attempt to suspend them or place any other punitive measure on them. I don’t even know of any instances where I have held any resentment, save those who feel the need to splice a valid point with profanities and bile. So I just don’t get it. Is everything fine? Evidently not if I have to keep receiving my complaints second-hand.

Allow me to reiterate. I consider myself many things— I am not a mind reader. I am also not perfect. I –cannot- know the best solution to everything. I –cannot- realize that one person prefers one style of event over another if it is not said. Silence is not an easily interpreted response. I cannot tell if it is meant to be taken as neutrality, or silent acceptance, silent condemnation or a simple lack of caring. And as of late I’ve come to begrudgingly accept that not everyone is vocal with their praise, or their issues.

However.

You’ve got an issue with something I do? Very well. That's fine. But if you feel the need to stir a discussion about it and berate my work with others? Why? What does that change? What does that accomplish? How are you expecting anything to approve if all of the criticism happens behind closed doors? If you've got an issue then -try and improve it-. Make your point, because I am not a brick wall. I have changed my methods before based on critique. I have taken matters into consideration, if nothing else. Never have I received a complaint and ignored it.

I do not make my events and wish for them to be bad. I do not build to offend or antagonize. I do not make posts and interact with others in order to make enemies, nor do I enter any of these activities with that purpose. I do them because I believe what I do is good. I believe that, unless told otherwise, I am doing the best that I can manage for a situation and for the server in general. I do not half-bake my efforts. I do not commit to a job with the intention of slacking off. And unless someone tells me otherwise, I can do nothing more than assume that I am doing my job well.

So do you disagree? Then by all means, share with me why. Talk to me upfront and forward instead of bickering about it to your friends. Because if you want to make me angry that’s how. Nothing is more infuriating and insulting to me than someone who will not back up their own words.

I’m Rigley. And I’m depressed.