Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Isolation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mika Mistwalker stares out toward the mountains, the clouds shift in a swirl of blues and purples. She looks down from the edge of a floating ziggurat as the poison and plague of undeath shifts on the ground far below. She purses her lips and walks over to her bedroll to sit. She pulls out a black leatherbound book and begins to write.

Spoiler:
Day One

I guess last night was, technically, my first day at this abandoned floating ziggurat, but since all I did was sleep as soon as Gavin walked through his Death Gate I'll designation this as my first day.

I've decided that I've become too mentally tired to deal with what's been going in my life. Cid disappearing again, Doyle trying to be very convincing, and realizing more that I am about useless when it comes to protecting those I care about. I tried taking a break before in Winterspring, but trouble followed me there. This ziggurat will prove to be better. At least only Gavin knows how to find me. If anyone else suddenly comes for me, I'd be tempted to shove them off the edge.

Waking up to Zul'drak's horizon was beautiful to behold, despite the death and decay festering on the ground below. Being this high up protects me from the nastiness below, thankfully. I still chuckle at Gavin "giving" me this floating fortress as a belated birthday gift. Now I can pretend I have my very own floating fortress; a Queen of her domain.

I felt lonely before, and I still do, but at least this is a loneliness of my choosing. I've got roughly a month's worth of rations to keep me alive out here. Gavin said he would stop by now and then to check up on me. I think this is exactly what I needed.

Doyle gave me this black journal to try prying information about how things were between me and Demitrius, so I'm going to use it to record my thoughts as I go through my isolation. I'm hoping that writing everything down will be beneficial to sorting my issues out. I've heard it can be from some of my friends.

Today has been rather quiet. As much as I enjoy this view, I think I'm going to pull my bedroll and the rest of my things further indoors in case any Gargoyles get curious. Gavin did warn me about those.

In fact, I will do that now and prepare for the evening. I will end this entry here.
(Ack, my internet was down all day and night yesterday so I didn't get a chance to post Day Two. I'll post both Two and Three below.)

Spoiler:
Day Two

I would much prefer to wake up to the sunrise of Zul'Drak, but I suppose it is much safer waking up behind some stacked up crates. No surprises. I slept like Hellfire, though. The nightmares were unrelenting. I will just have to suffer through them until they no longer bother me or I die from the delirium of not sleeping enough. Whichever comes first. The rations I packed taste like a mixture of bland and way too salty, if such a thing can happen, but at least it's food. I've had worse.

The crates are, oddly, completely empty. I guess they were just there in waiting to be filled with something sinister. It would explain why they're unusually clean amongst these rusted and blood-stained cages and siege weapons. I might store my food and water in these so there is no risk of contamination.

It's mostly been an uneventful day. I watched from above what I thought were some Argents fighting some of the Undead. It made me wonder if Doyle was down there, but then I remembered that he told me he never had any intention of entering these polluted lands. Still, if the organization that lines your pockets tells you to go somewhere then that is where you'll go. Afterwards, I decided to force him out of my thoughts for the time being. He isn't the reason why I am here. I am here for me. Or, at least, for my sanity.

The sunsets here are just as gorgeous as the sunrises. It's a shame one has to be so high up to appreciate such a thing. The cold is somewhat irritating, but I came prepared for it. I will test out the safety of starting a fire with what little I was able to bring with me.

The fire started well enough, but I didn't allow it to burn very long. I had to set it up far from where I sleep, away from anything that could still catch on fire. I will only have short-terms fires for when I am awake and seriously cold. I don't want to somehow bring undue attention to myself.

I will end this entry and sleep. Try to sleep, at any rate.

Spoiler:
Day Three

I woke up to a rather dangerous surprise: a curious Gargoyle that flew up into the ziggurat and started snooping around. Good thing I stashed everything away before I went to bed, and another good thing that I insisted on the safer sleeping spot. It didn't spot me before I was made aware of its presence. I put on what armor I could without making too much noise and held my halberd tightly, waiting for it to either vacate the area or come close enough for me to ambush it. Thankfully, the damned thing flew out. I was uneasy for the rest of the day. Neither food nor warmth comforted me after that close encounter. I don't know if I could handle a Gargoyle alone. I'll need to talk with Gavin on how to fight a Gargoyle when he comes to check up on me. I have no intention on dying here, not at the talons of a Gargoyle.

My thoughts are scattered. What if I did die? Would Gavin find out? And how long would it be for Cid to come around long enough for Gavin to tell him of my death?

Would anyone actually miss me?

I know Doyle wouldn't. He told me so.

There are small warped spots on the pages, either from water or tears.