Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: The Purge Event Feedback (and other stuff)!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
'Lo there.

As you may or may not be aware, this jolly group of lovable people (cough) has now run two events, the most recent being this past Tuesday. Though I wasn't around for the first event, I managed to make the second one, and I know a couple of people weren't exactly pleased with how things were run.

On that note, I'd like to place this here (though I considered putting it in the Storylines subforum first, but eh) for that feedback to be received! If you've got something to say about the guild/events/even people in it, I suppose, please post here. Positive, negative, "I was there but I don't even know what happened so /thumbs up", and anything in between, don't hesitate.
Although I suppose I should clarify; constructive stuff is preferred over "hargleblarghle your events are bad and you should feel bad", but if you need to vent, I can take it.

If you had a problem, we can't fix it for future events unless we know about it! If you don't want to post here, don't hesitate to PM me. Despite my in game appearance as a baby-eating witch, I promise, I don't bite.

And while I've got your attention, if you have any ideas for future events/clashes/meetings/alliances/what have you (looking at you, Lendri!) with the guild, feel free to either post here or PM me.

Thanks for your time!
I think it is fair that I give you my feedback seeing as I was the only casualty in the event.

The problems with the event was at the start of the battle, right before we all started fighting. On my side with Calin, everything was going fine, but on the fights involving death knights there were major confusions going on involving ghouls.

My suggestion, if the numbers are fair or just numerous in a battle, forget ghouls entirely for OOC convenience.

Now, about the CKs which were given, my death was legit but I couldn't help but notice that Kraine's health dropped to zero when he was fighting against Vaeth (correct me if I'm wrong) and he somehow evaded death itself.

Overall, the event was mediocre, lacked organization and caused mild confusion amongst some of its participants. It could have been better if it were more organized and had simpler rules.

Do take these points into consideration if you ever do organize an other event.
You don't need to have died to give feedback, heh.

I suppose I should preface this with the fact I don't play Kraine. Nor did I organize the event. I'm just collecting the words!

Huh, I didn't notice any confusion with the ghouls, honestly. From where I was, they were just to balance it out because the numbers were unfair. I ended up against two other players due to uneven numbers, so I had another ghoul to balance it out. Granted, I didn't see much outside my own fight, so could you clarify for me, please?

And I believe Kraine was healed, so the hit that sent him rolling down the hill took him to one, not zero.
And then Vaeth rolled a 2 to finish him. Something like that!

Yeah, I heard there were some...extraneous rules that were set out, but I missed them, having logged in quite late. I'll be sure to chat with Kraine about them next time I see him. Mediocre, though. Hmm.

Very well! Thanks for your input!

I ran Vaeth and Kiandel during the event. Sadly my performance was sloppy due to the ban of Tylein right before the event (since he was going to do most of Kiandel's emotes for me what with the whole twin shtick we had going on)...

But it was my job to run the "good guys" as Vaeth. Kraine did the main organization and, in my opinion, I feel the preperations on his part should have been started an hour earlier so that the event would have started on time and ran a little smoother. Everything ran smooth until the groups were reorganized andwhatnot and the actual fighting began. I think the ghouls did make quite an issue... Maybe next event we can attack them before they can do any killing to raise ghouls, thus removing them from the event entirely.

I also want to try and think of a way to reduce roll spam during the PvP roll fights. The first event was relatively small. Three groups of three people if I remember correctly... But anyways. My point. If the next event is as large as the second one was, we will keep two seperate raid groups. All communication between the two can be done by Kraine and myself since we're in the same room during these events (joys of brother-sister event holding) or something like that. Not sure yet. Gonna think...

And I still rage at the fact I didn't get Kraine at the end of the event. I had 3HP and Kraine had 0HP... And he just gets up, dusts himself off, and rides off into the sunset. His excuse being I called off the CW... Though I verbally told him otherwise. Ohwell.

Last thing I'll say on this note. I felt the event was a little chaotic, but that was simply because I was dualboxing it. I do not EVER plan to dualbox during an event I help host again. I will do my best to focus more on making sure the event goes along smooooooothly. :D

Not sure if I repeated myself in there anywhere. I'm a teensy too lazy to read over the post again. Too late in the night for reading over.
The late start was my fault. He was waiting for me.

I do hope to be able to help set up the next one. It'll happen eventually.

I'll jot a note down about the ghouls. I personally don't think removing them completely is a good idea, as some characters (mine) actually rely on them far more than others do, but I'll see what I can come up with. Again though, I hear 'ghouls made an issue' but nothing specific. Can you clarify? Did the turn order get messed up? Lost track of them without models? Unbalanced?

I agree with the rolls. I think making separate parties (not raids) in the future would be best, and communicate with the group as a whole in General Chat or something, perhaps make our own chat channel.

...And huh. I didn't know he hit zero. You should punch him. IRL.

And it really was a bit chaotic, what with a jillion "X rolls a 98" flashing by every half second.

It's getting late over here too. No worries.
Thanks for your time!
Understood on the late start. I didn't know he was waiting on you. I thought he was just being disorganized agian.

I had set custom rules on ghouls to keep from ghoul spam. Non-Unholy DKs allowed to summon only one while Unholy DKs get two.

I also had the rule set for DKs that unholy attacks on another DK with a roll that ended up with an evade would heal the targt DK instead of damaging or evading. A little custom rule I thought would help with the few DK vs DK fights.

And I will be sure to punch him IRL. I had 3HP and I went back to the Ebon Hold to recover. I'm sure Kraine went back and did whatever as if nothing happened. Vaeth won't be walking around for another day after nearly getting his arm removed by Erynn.
Yeah, my classes get out late on Tuesdays/Thursdays. My bad!

Huh. That's what ended up happening for me, with the ghouls. Zalth is unholy and I was up against two other players, so I was using two ghouls. Were others (non-unholy spec'd ones) using multiples?

And the unholy attacks vs. DKs makes sense.

And Kraine is getting zapped with unholy witchery by Zalthiel whenever she can spare it. She took quite a beating herself. Damn paladins/horrendously bad rolls.
Quote:Huh, I didn't notice any confusion with the ghouls, honestly.
If I recall, it took more than ten minutes to start the actual battle due to some OOC confusions. One of the confusions I recall involved ghouls and several other things.

(11-02-2011, 06:20 PM)JVNemesis Wrote: [ -> ]I ended up against two other players due to uneven numbers, so I had another ghoul to balance it out.
Sounds fair enough to me.

(11-02-2011, 06:47 PM)JVNemesis Wrote: [ -> ]Again though, I hear 'ghouls made an issue' but nothing specific. Can you clarify? Did the turn order get messed up? Lost track of them without models? Unbalanced?
One ghoul is fine, but when every death knight starts to rise up their own ghoul the battle just becomes a major clutter and during certain situations it just becomes ridiculous.

Now, I'm not sure if it was an issue in the event since I was too focused on my fight but I suggest toning down the ghouls a little to prevent unbalance in the future.

Ah, see that's why I needed clarification. The fight started about thirty seconds after I logged in and was ported. I missed all of the (seemingly extensive) OOC discussion that happened before that.

And that's the second part. I was pretty wrapped up in my own combat, and I didn't know anyone else (particularly non-Unholy DKs) were summoning additional ghouls. Thank you for clearing that up; I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Now I've got to head out for the night.

A big thanks to everyone for their feedback!
As far as I'm aware all non-unholy DKs summoned only one ghoul. I know Vaeth used only one and that was because he was one-on-one with Kraine who had a ghoul out.

Raid chat seemed spammed and everything Kraine said had to be a raid warning. Not much else I can think of regarding the event.
If I may give my comments; I was here as both Good(Dalikan) and Evil(Barregis 'Bane')...

If I recall, the numbers of players were incredibly equal, and those who seemed to have been 'Outnumbered' simply had their buddies starting up a 2v1 with another buddy to go attack a good guy or bad guy.

As Dalikan I had 3 enemies come after me, Maulin, my own Barregis, and I think his name was Kiandel... I'm not throwing any accusations of anything, don't get me wrong! I'm just saying, it would've been 3v1 (Plus Maulin was getting ready to raise 2 ghouls as an Unholy) if I didn't have a wily little elf-friend help me with pulling Kiandel (Nasty Knightses, Dalikan hates them!).

To Zalth, I do believe your buddies that would've evened out your fight were merely outnumbering me at the OTHER end of the battlefield xD

Also, for some of these locations that they are attacking, I would expect atleast a few of the locations defenders to still be alive, so perhaps have a few 1 HP good-guy aiders run out of the bushes yelling 'FOR GONDOR!'. This, of course, should only be used as a failsafe codenamed 'Big Red Button' if the Good guys feel that -THEY- are outnumbered.

The first few minutes of confusion were hectic, and I recommend simply building a rule system before the events ever start, as well as possibly removing Ghouls entirely. The reason for removing the ghouls are simple. The Bad Guys are already BA and all-powerful enough (This is an army of DKs we're talking about), I don't see why they should have 3 HP ghouls tagging along (Increasing in numbers depending on IC spec), as it makes a fair 1v1 fight into a hectic duel where the outnumbered man is pleading for good rolls.

If removing the ghouls is still too un-necessary for you guys, then I would suggest atleast lowering their HP (AKA 1 or 2 HP Ghouls would make it alot more fair) or making it so the DK cannot fight that opponent until his/her Ghoul is dead... Again.

Also, a thing about heals... I've noticed that in the outnumbering situations, heals were... A bit low... Not only were the healers being specifically targeted, they could barely get heals out, and the heals were 1 HP each, so people suffering 2-3 HP loss a round were kinda... Screwed... The healing was almost a 'Hang on Bobby, I'll try and pull you up this cliff with a very frayed rope!'. My suggestion for healing is doing it the old-fashioned way... Which is as follows;

'Hey you, healer. Tell me who you're healing. Then roll 1-3. (X Healer rolls 2). Okay, [Target] is healed for 2! (And yes, the old-fashioned way is standardly a 1-3 roll).

Also, I am neither Forum Helper nor GM nor Administrator, but I must stress as a fellow RPer who wishes to enjoy such events as you are putting forward... Make a chart of CWs and stuff. And respect CWs given to you(Talking to you, wily little bad guys!... And big steak-muffin...!). I'm not saying that CWs shouldn't be given or shouldn't be accepted... After all, we had Cassius over there as the ded fool... Just try and remember that CWs are a serious thing, and brushing them off or 'ironically forgetting' or 'oops, I didn't hear about it' should not be accepted and if Kraine actually DID(Not saying he did, just contrary to popular belief), then the leader of the event should give more respect to the CWs of his own event.

I hope some of this has made sense D: If it hasn't I can try and explain it better in another post, but meh for now.

Thank you for your time and I hope you consult this somewhat helpful advice/criticism.

PS: Despite all of the above, it was really d*** good! Keep it up!
Heh, you were fighting yourself? Talk about a conflict of interests!

As for evening out fights.../fist shake. I promise I'll be there to organize next time, and we'll fix all those issues (to the best of our ability), including the seeming...arbitrary arrangements. But we'll see!

I like that idea, actually; of NPC guards. Not Gondorians, though. That would be scary.
I have to remember to get my notebook later.

Yeah, I think getting a rule system down pat would be for the best. I'm totally going to go crazy with posting stuff if we end up getting ten members/a subforum, so we'll see!
Wait, I lied. We have eleven members. Huzzah!

The ghouls were honestly the only thing that stopped me personally from getting slaughtered. They were both dead by the second turn, having been crit twice. Each. So it's all in the rolls; sometimes they do great, sometimes...not so much.
As for healing...I'm honestly not a fan. I was up against two healers, and it was like those 2v2 arena bouts where the enemy team just kept healing each other. So if we're to keep the healing in play, we'll need to limit it. And I'm most certainly against it healing 1-3; in PvE that's fine, but if you suddenly get 60% of your HP back in a PvP fight with no chance of failure, against someone who can't heal themselves, that's more unfair than a ghoul, in my opinion.

We definitely do need to keep track of CWs, yeah; I remember, half way through my own fight, going "...Hey wait, are CWs live?" to my party members. This, again, is my own fault for showing up late, but it should be clear for everyone who was already there.

Thanks for the advice! I do appreciate it.
And I'm definitely considering everything that's said here.
I think the best thing to do with ghouls would be to allow only DKs who had killed an actual character and raised them as a ghoul should use them in the next event. Example. Zalth killed my alt Alandrel, therefore, she could bring along a ghoul BUT she would have to have the ghoul with her prior to the event starting. No raising next time... Depending if the baddies are vastly outnumbered or something then there could be ghoul raising.

Though removing them entirely would seem to be difficult. A lot of our DK players forget that in order to raise a ghoul you have to have a dead body somewhere. Only reason ghoul raising was allowed in this event was because they already slaughtered a bunch of peoples... So... Ghouls any unholy DK could take advantage of!

I think I'll help getting to writing more custom rules for the next event. Maybe something that will give Light users a slight advantage. Like instead of rolling 50+ higher than the target DK for a crit, make it 35+ higher or something? I mean, Holy is Unholy's worst enemy or something. Just a small idea to throw around or something.

EDIT: I know Kraine was keeping track of the groups, who was in each one, and their turn order. I'll tell him to keep tabs on CWs also for next time.
Then my suggestion yet remains; Keep the Ghouls, if it's absolutely needed, but at least lower the HP of them. (To, say, 2, or in some situations, 1 even). As for Zalth's ghouls getting owned... I lol at you. Trololololo- *Finds Zalth knife in chest.* Dangit... *Collapses*

*Gets back up as DK* Anywho! I think that using the high rolls against your ghouls as an excuse(If that's what that was... I hope not...) for keeping them at high HP is a bad excuse D: People get good rolls. Then the next event they'll get hammered. The Roll Gods are tricksy little beastards.

As for the healing. I realize your plight on the healers. So perhaps have a 'Roll above 50(0r 60 or above) to see if you successfully heal. And then if you -DO- succeed, roll 1-3 to heal.' Does that seem a bit more fair on that? Maybe even limit player heals to 2-3 a battle(AKA EVENT, NOT EVERY FIGHT)?

As for the NPC Guards. :3 I've been playing Battle for Middle Earth alot lately and so I get to hear alot of 'For Gondor!' and 'For Rohan!'s... Rohirrim and their high trampling ability is fun... MOVING ON.

In my outnumbered situatin on the other end of the battlefield, Zalth, I was the good guy being cursed with bad rolls(Understanding that over there you were the bad guy cursed with bad rolls). Thrown off my horse. Smacked in the face by a Gas Grenade that then released bad gases I breathed in. Slapped by my own shield by attempt-blocking. But the best part was that I actually had to pull off the deepest Pally failsafe in the book to survive... And I didn't actually survive... 'The Flame of Retribution'(AKA Ultimate Paladin Failsafe where premises explodes in holy wrath, making the caster go KO). I did of course ask Kraine beforehand if I could do this, and I rolled for it and all that fun stuff, so don't think I was just like 'Oh yah, you guys just got 'sploded'.

Oh, and Sach. Slap Kraine in the back of the face and tell him 'Dalikan sends his regards'.

Also, another thing about the Ghouls argument :/ But the good-guys are basically fighting an army of DKs... As a bunch of rag-tag adventurers and mercenaries(Few of which actually hold the power to truly combat them)... So it seems that Sach's suggestion(For the Ghouls) would be best so that the already overpowered(DKs are WAY stronger IC then all normal classes 'cept Pallies and occasionally priests) and sometimes outnumbered(Without realizing it) good guys would not be facing their certain doom(Presuming these events are made with the chance of the Good guys actually winning in the background).

But of course, the Roll Gods are tricksy and filthy little hobbits and so all of this, in the end, only comes down to who prays for good rolls more and who prays for them better.

I hope my further arguments are of more use, and maybe some of them make more sense. I do hope some of this is taken into account! :D Have a nice day everyone!

PSS: A man walks into a bar. Why didn't the second man stop? (Rhetorical Question/Funny joke FTW!)
I do agree on ghouls having less HP. They're not exactly the toughest things. They're just there to annoy us and distract us from harming the DK controlling it (which they do quite well actually.).. Unless you're Boan. Then they're there to eat you.

I'm sure all ghoul rules will depend heavily on the number of people joining the event on each side. I think instead of assembling people for the event in game, we start up a thread on the forum and advertise for it at least a week in advance. We can discuss rules, plot, and anything else there to prevent confusion. I suggested Kraine make a thread on the forum for the event we had on Tuesday, but that fell on deaf ears.

And I will be sure to smack Kraine for you. Hopefully he won't hit me back.
Pages: 1 2