Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: The Song of the Sun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What entails below will be the story that will at long last begin to unravel the past between Aryeon and Urameil...

~Act I~

Ethereal drapes, silken and blue, blowing in the slight breeze from open windows.

Extravagant decorations adorning a forlorn wall. Plaster peeling at the corners of the walls.

None had walked these halls for centuries. It had been abandoned; forgotten, sitting idly as it was from the day it was left to rot. No one had come since. No tax collectors. No state officials. No distant relatives. Not a soul.

For the first time in almost a millennium, someone dared disturb this peaceful limbo. The massive front doors thrust open, a hefty draft bellowing through the foyer. Dust and broken glass tumbled across the floor, the molded curtains flopping. Then a silence, followed by heavy footsteps. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. At the entrance, there stood the last sons of the house, one limp and cold in the arms of the other: Aryeon and Urameil Sunsong.

Aryeon’s face was as still as a pond. His expression blank, almost in disbelief, did not waver once from the gust of wind at his back, or at the memories his heart was flooding full of. Eyes narrowed, brow furrowed, lips pursed to a frown, he merely walked into the empty halls before him. His gait was just as still and stiff; he never limped or stumbled. He merely kept his modest walking pace with no change, arms outstretched with the body of Urameil cradled in them.

Urameil’s own face left no betrayal as to his condition. It was white and sickly, cold to the touch. His eyes were blank, showing nothing of what his final thoughts may have been. His mouth was exposed, instead of being covered by a scarf as it usually is; it too held no expression. Indeed, it was hard to even believe that he was a corpse; he could have easily passed off as a mannequin. Following behind both men was a lone scraggly cat, mewing hoarsely as it kept pace nearby.

”Aryeon! Come quickly!”, a voice exclaimed from a room nearby, down a long hallway.

Aryeon remembered this hall. The arrangement of the rooms, the artwork adorning the walls, the now-ruined furniture hardly changed from the day he left.

”Where is he, where is he?!”, a child yelled as he excitedly ran into the room he was called. He was a lad of no more than ten years old, an amount that meant next to nothing to most Quel’dorei. His hair was a reddish brown, eyes wide and full of joy. He dropped aside his arcane contraption toy at the door and scurried over to the bedside, hopping up and down with eagerness.

Aryeon stared down at the bed. It is, or rather, was, a luxurious king-sized setup with silken curtains and decorative pillows. He silently lowered Urameil’s body down, placing it on the moldy, dusty mattress with a great creak as it supported the body’s mass and weight. The cat ran over and jumped up, nuzzling itself against a lifeless, open palm. It purred within a few seconds, although the purring sounded like grating pieces of metal together.

”Aryeon, this is your new baby brother”, said an older looking elf with floating arcane orbs around his head. He kneeled beside the boy as he spoke to him beside the bed, showing him a newborn infant elf in its mother’s arms. The boy looked at the infant curiously and crooked his head, then was silent for a moment. At last, he spoke, “Why is he so ugly looking?? I thought babies were cute!”

Sur enough, the infant was not the best looking child around. His eyes were a bit lowest, and the face was rather long as far as newborns go. Regardless, the man reprimanded his child, “Aryeon! Don’t say such mean things about your brother. He was just born, is all. He’ll look better as he gets older.”

The boy looked at the man, then the newborn babe again. He shrugged and smiled, “Alright, I’m sorry that you’re ugly because you’re just born, little brother… uh…”, he paused mid-sentence, looking confused. “… what is my brother’s name, anyway??”, he finally asked aloud.

“A name, hmm…? Well…”, the elderly man began to speak.

“What about… Urameil?” the mother piped in, still cradling the child in her arms. “Urameil Sunsong. I think it a good name, don’t you, Aryeon?”

The boy stroked his chin in faux thought, and then grinned widely. “Yeah! I like it, mama!” he exclaimed happily as he picked back up his arcane toy. “That’s a good name, almost as good as my name!” he added on with a laugh, which was soon joined by the two parents in the room…

Aryeon’s expression finally broke. Tears streamed down his face as he held aloft his truesilver stave, gathering holy magic in every part of his body. The entire room rattled as feeble glass knick-knacks fell and tumbled across the floor, a divine wind filling the room and ruffling the curtains violently. He stood over the body of Urameil as it lay on the bed, the sudden change in mood scaring the cat off with a defensive hiss and spat. Aryeon continued to focus all of his energy into his being, all of him glowing with Holy Light as it shone through his eyes, and then his mouth as he began to chant feverishly in Thalassian tongues, all the while failing to hold back his sobs.

He swept his stave over Urameil’s profile, focusing the holy power into it from within his own body. A surge drove through them both, Aryeon’s religious chants continuing as he neared the completion of the resurrection ritual. It was all very noisy and upsetting to the ears, yet amidst it all, a distinct beat is heard. Thump. Thump. Thump. The distinct beating of a heart. The flow of blood through the body’s veins. The flesh was becoming healthy once more, as Aryeon fell to his knees, the tears now dried on his face. He stared at Urameil’s body for what could have been the longest minute of his long-lived life. The flesh was willing, but now the question was the soul? The heart would beat, but Aryeon watched stilly as he waited for the lungs to once more draw breath.

“… Brother.”
Dust dropped from the ceiling as it was disturbed from the healing light, gathering atop of the corpse as the chest struggled to rise. Urameil's fingers curled, his dirty nails clawing into the fabric of the blanket beneath him. Air sucks in through his lips, his green eyes blinking with fel-tainted light. He gasps throatily, his chest heaving as he sits up in a jerk, his whole body shaking in convulsions. As the Light enveloped around him, he cries in great pain, though as soon as agony shot through his body, it quickly left him as it was replaced by a rush of adrenaline-fueled anger. Seeing Aryeon by his bedside, he immediately sat up, sweat dripping from his brow as his fingers wrap around his collar, a death grip on his robes.

"Curse...you...." he mutters shakily, unaware of where he is. His eyes are fixated onto his brother, teeth bared as he snarled. "What have you done?.... I had a Soulstone I could have used..."
Aryeon rose to his feet as Urameil's body convulsed. His expression soon turned back to his stern gaze, betraying any heartache he had previously been showing. He waited for the warlock to sit up and speak before saying anything himself.

"If you had a soulstone, I am curious to know why you did not use it as soon as Torr threw your body down. Regardless... I feel this is better, don't you? Say all you will against the Light, but its benevolent energies are far more respectable means of restoring life than whatever profane fel-crafts that are needed to use something as perverse as a soulstone," Aryeon said sternly to Urameil as he drew his staff back underneath his cape.
"I care no longer for the Light. It has done little to me then, and it would not be needed even now," Urameil says as he shoves Aryeon weakly before collapsing back onto the bed, grasping his chest. Pain shot through his body again, especially his trunk, where he was fatally stabbed. He looks up, seeing the ceiling and the walls around him. Turning he his head, he glances onto the bed, finally recognizing his location. "You... fool. You brought me back.... here? Of all places.... why?"
Aryeon said nothing for a few moments. Why did he bring Urameil here? Was it some petty nostalgia? Some fleeting attachment to his memories? Did he think it poetic? All of these are senseless, impractical reasons...

"... I just did. Seemed better a choice than, say, some church in Silvermoon, no?" he finally replied, half-lying through his teeth. "Here you can be left alone to recover. I'm sure the memories of this place... mean little to one such as you", he continued coldly.
"They do mean little," Urameil says as he lays back, his eyes narrowing at his surroundings. "I wish to be rid of this place and your presence. Get out."
"In due time, Urameil. In due time. You are in no condition to be storming out of here in a flurry. Regardless, my being here will likely just provoke you into stressing your wounds further, so I shall leave you be. I'm sure your cat will provide adequate company, should you actually feel any desire for companionship", Aryeon sneered as he turned his back to the bed, walking for the door.
(OOC Note: I was lazy and took too long writing this. ICly, this would happen just a short while after Urameil's second resurrection.)

Months passed. It is said that time will heal all wounds... but this really depends on how one defines "healed". It is true, that the grief has long left Aryeon's heart. When he carried Urameil's body in secret to their ancestral home, it was as if his entire chest would burst with sorrow. Then, soon after his ritual was completed, as quickly as he could, the warlock took his leave. Aryeon was left alone, abandoned as the dilapidated mansion he stood in. Silently, he stayed there, awaiting some sort of pain. Anticipating it, even. Yet, there was nothing. Nothing what so ever. His heart was not healed, it was not filled with joy. Yet, neither did it hurt. Is this what it means when it is said time heals all wounds? A vast, apathetic, gaping hole? Or perhaps, has the elder elf just experienced too much time altogether? Was this the burden of centuries of wisdom? He found himself asking that question to himself over and over as he moved on with his life. Are his emotions but flashes in a pan, sparked by a situation? Has all sense of emotional investment finally began to take its leave? Without a stimulus, he does not even feel his heart stirred when he learned of his brother's second death as much as it was just months ago. Death is a horrid tragedy, yet he only feels his soul weep when he sees it? How has the high priest come to this...

~Act II~

"Papa, I'm bored! You said you'd show me some magic today! Come on!", declared a teenage Quel'Dorei slouching over a lavishly decorated, ornately designed desk. He sprawled his arms outward, idly flicking his fingers at an arcane trinket. His hair was long and parted by the ears, braided slightly and decorated with some pieces of jewelry. Sitting his opposite, was a tall, imposing, aged looking elf, hair receding, and sporting a long beard. He frowned with all the discontent he could muster, furrowing his brow as he put down his quill pen, staring down the obnoxious adolescent.

"Aryeon!! I am quite busy right now with these important documents! I told you, I do not have time for magic today! I'm sorry, but please! Stop disrupting me! Go play with some of your friends, or something, but let me be to finish my work!", he bellowed aloud, rising from his seat, making his imposing presence even greater.

Aryeon shrunk back from the desk, peer his face over the corner. He frowned sadly before finally speaking up. "S-Sorry, dad... I'll... go play somewhere else", he trailed off as he slouched down and walked off, leaving the room. His father merely mutters a short "Good", before seating himself back down and resuming his paperwork.

The teenage elf walked down the halls slowly. He kept his posture slouched, sighing heavily, looking at the floor. "Play with what friends? What friends?", he scoffs to himself, "Everyone here my age is always busy with my uncles, or cousins... or whatever. Can't ever hang out..."

Aryeon goes through much of the mansion, everyone he looks at busily going about. Maids cleaning the furniture. Older men talking incessantly in Thalassian. Women gossiping over clothing and hairstyles. Yes, life inside Silvermoon's golden spires. It had something for everyone, it seemed... except for this one, sole young man. He continued to walk aimlessly, occasionally seeing out a window and looking into the gardens or courtyard. He saw some boys his age, from time to time... but always accompanied by some older men, and often busy looking. Swordplay, artisan crafts... no one with time to spare. Defeated and bored, Aryeon walked outside, sitting himself on a bench. He sighed heavily, crossed his arms, and slumped back.

Was there nobody who would spend time with him?
The blurs of time would lift.

A very young boy sat at the corner, looking onto a book far too large for his small frame to carry. He sat on the ground now, looking down as the page would flip without his doing. Pah. A small, gray kitten was tugging the page, gnawing on the edge as she did. Then a second kitten. She sat on the book. Then a third. He crawled on the boy's lap. The boy's perpetual scowl did not change. His sunken eyes stared forward, little lips neither lifting nor pursing with frustration. Instead, he just tugged on the cats by the nape, pulling them off the book then closing it. No more arcane reading for now. This bores him.

He passes the busybody adults, all of them too occupied to noticed the bored child. His arms remain on his side, back stiff, legs barely striding as the boy stiffly walked--his robe and long, scarlet hair was far more excited in movement than he was. He kept walking, his cats following closely as he would eventually meet outside. His eyes meet his elder.

Aryeon.

The little boy stepped forward, then he sat onto the step. The cats surrounded him, nuzzling the child until he would absently stroke them. His voice, even then, was monotonous, cold, emotionally stunted. But his choice of words represented the child more than any non-verbal cue could provide.

"This place bores me," he says. "Everyone is too busy to do something else. I am not busy enough. And neither are you." His tone almost dripped with arrogance, if it could. The corner of his mouth lifts with a smirk. "Do you feel the same way? Has Father ignored you again?"
Aryeon was in the midst of saturating himself in his teenage angst, head leaned up to the sky, letting loose a hefty sigh, when his younger brother came forth. He turned his eyes downward, looking at Urameil from the corner of his eye, then quickly regained his composure, shifting his posture upright before leaning forward at the young elf boy, siding his arms into his lap.

"Ah, hey there, squirt", he says with a smile, suddenly his mood lifting now that someone was talking to him. He pauses soon after, considering what was said to him.

"... Dad's just busy. You know how he is. He didn't ignore me... just busy", Aryeon trails off before shaking his head. "Frustrated, though... he was going to show me advanced conjuration for two weeks now. But noooo, always busy. You'd think with all the servants we have, one of them would help him do his work... what's he do that's so important anyway??"

Aryeon huffs to himself, then stands from the bench he was seated.

"Come on. Let's go do something. Anything is better than just sitting here ."
"What is there to do?" Urameil says as a fourth and fifth kitten starts approaching him. Damn. He picks one up, a black one. His current favorite. He cradles the kitten in his arms, though he otherwise seems largely disinterested in playing with his pets. "Most everyone in the home is occupied... unless we find someone else in the city to bother."
"You know what? That sounds like a good idea to me. We'll hit the markets, and buy lots of curiosities!", Aryeon says with a grin as he checks his robes for money, which he of course has plenty of, being the son of a nobleman and all. "Maybe... just maybe... we'll meet some girls too, ha", he continued. Why he was declaring this to a pre-teenage boy is anyone's guess.
The child blinks. Then scowls. Well, more than usual. "I have no interest in girls," he declares. Nevertheless, he readies himself to follow his brother, ready to snark the whole way.
(You know what I love? Updating a post after 2 weeks and then the internet not posting it. NOW I MUST REWRITE IT.)

Aryeon grins, reaching over to Urameil's head and ruffling the boy's red hair. "Not now, you don't! But just you wait... Heh", he trails off for a moment. "... Maybe that ranger girl will be there. I hope she is!", he proclaims excitedly to none in particular.

And with that, the two brothers were on their way to the Silvermoon City proper. There they beheld the shopping district, bursting with activity and magic. Sorcerers bartering for trinkets, peddlers trying to sell their wares, shady individuals keeping to themselves in dark corners and alleyways. This was where all classes of elven life converged, where the wealthiest of magistrates and the poorest of thugs mingled together under the glow of the sun's shining rays being reflected off the magnificent pearl towers of the city metropolis, bathed in light.

"Ha ha, now this is more like it! How exciting, don't you think, brother? Come on, let's go have some fun!"
"'Fun?'" The boy muttered sardonically. "You consider mingling into a multitude of muddling muttonheads 'fun'?" Such a language is unbecoming of a boy his age, but one can suppose his elder brother is entirely to blame for that. Or he reads an unhealthy number of books. Nevertheless, he peers into the conglomerating crowds, stoic eyes staring while he retains an impassive expression. "You're talking about the green-clad ranger, yes? You know she'll just shoot your eye out, right? At point blank? With no bow? While sitting down?"
Pages: 1 2