Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Parting words..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I debated whether I should post this in general, but I decided to put it here since I have a few suggestions before I leave, along with an opinion about the server.

I've been here for about a week, and from what I've seen so far, I've been satisfied. Everything seems fairly organized, and the process to join the community is a bit much, but I think its in good reason. As far as RPing goes, the area known as Aszara Crater (excuse the spelling if it's wrong) provides a nice place for people to gather and RP freely. Another great aspect of the community.

However, I've found it very difficult to develop any kind of friendship or RP as a new member. I feel as though the community has a very elitist/clique sort of aura about it. This may be due to the fact that there usually isn't too many members online at any given time. And the members that ARE online are not all that welcoming to 'newbies'.

I found it very difficult to get anywhere on the server, quest, grind, ect.... without difficulty. Many of the game mechanics on the server are different to retail, and obviously take much time getting used to (i.e How the mobs seem to rush you at 100 mph). Most of the 'fun' which occurs when you reach level 70 seems like it will take you longer than it would on retail. Even with the rates being higher.

I appreciate the amount of detail that goes into writing the rules about how 'your character's story must be approved to reach past level 40' and the business about 'vouches' (which I've never found out what in the world they are even after reading the forum and Wiki), but I think this is setting up for a very exclusive community of RPers who enjoy their small bubble. Hey, if that's what your aim is, you have achieved it marvelously.

All I'm trying to say is that if you're trying to create a larger community, or aim toward having more people join you in the RP, I think you need to do a better job at helping out and guiding the new commers. It just makes sense to me that out of all the private servers, a RP server would seem like it would be a 'instant-70' one, because if you don't have spend time to worry about spending countless hours grinding and leveling, you'll be able to devote your time to RP, right? Isn't that why we all came here? Just makes sense to me.

Only after I had to ask for a handout from 'Gregor' for 50g, did it make things a little easier. And I really appreciate his kind gesture, however, it shouldn't take others having to hand gold out. And just for the record, I didn't ask him, he offered in /chat and I said yes. I felt bad, but still I felt like I resorted to begging because it was impossible to get a sizeable amount of gold here on your own. There isn't any form of economy or reliable AH from which to earn your own, so that's my point. I think you need to make things more accessible to lower levels, and not just a rat race trying to save up a gold to buy a hat from the vendor.

Most of the people I came into contact with on the server really didn't want to have anything to do with me. It felt like you were not welcome in the community, and the only way you were really going to have fun is if you were already friends with them. Just a very exclusive and closed RP sessions I felt. Also, the very condescending attitude from the veteran's to the newer people with questions and so forth. Especially from a girl...I forgot her exact name, something like Syneria or something, but she seemed like she had to be rude and condescending to everyone who asked a question. So, I think improvements need to be made in that aspect, unless you enjoy the current state of things.

So, in conclusion, I'll be saying farewell to you all and wish you the best with your community and server. I hope you take some of my opinions into consideration and try not to take this as a big attack on the sever. I don't have any bitter feelings, I just have some opinions and suggestions I wanted to suggest before I left, and I feel I've done so in a professional manner.

Good luck to you guys! Bye!
Quote:but I think this is setting up for a very exclusive community of RPers who enjoy their small bubble. Hey, if that's what your aim is, you have achieved it marvelously.

Thank you!

Quote:All I'm trying to say is that if you're trying to create a larger community,

As far as I´ve understood it we do not look to expand too much, we prefer the smaller, more tightly knit community (let´s not forget the good old "quality over quantity" saying)

Quote:think you need to do a better job at helping out and guiding the new comers.

Saddens me that you say that, I try to welcome all newcomers in-game with a whisper where I tell them that if they do have any questions they shouldn´t hesitate to ask as well as a few tips about reading certain things. Unfortunately I miss a few new players due to time-zones or just un luck.

Quote:It just makes sense to me that out of all the private servers, a RP server would seem like it would be a 'instant-70' one, because if you don't have spend time to worry about spending countless hours grinding and leveling, you'll be able to devote your time to RP, right? Isn't that why we all came here? Just makes sense to me.

Does to me too! And thanks to the vouching(I hope this link can help you understand better, if not feel send a few questions my way) and character profile system players do not need to level, by simply role-playing they will "earn" their insta-70. This way we also keep the lolboys and the pure PvE/P players away.

As for getting gold, I recently started a lower level character and I have not had any problems of getting gold, killing a few humanoids will give you a tidy sum. Well, relatively speaking, it´s nothing like a thousand gold coins but... Well it was enough to cover my needs.

The attitude you´ve been met with is of course not acceptable (from my point of view at least) and I sure will work to improve that, we do point new players to read through the Wiki, forum stickies etc since most questions are answered somewhere there and it is more time efficient and simply easier for players/GMs to be able to point them there instead sitting answering questions all day long (I know at least I would spend a lot more time answering questions than I would role-playing, and role-playing is what I am here for).

Anyway, I hope you´ll have fun where-ever you´re going and that you won´t remember your visit here as completely fruitless.

~Regards, Alice.

PS; This is my own views and opinions so it -might- differ from the rest of the community and GMs.

Typical Grand Exit, there I said it.
MarkM86 Wrote:Most of the people I came into contact with on the server really didn't want to have anything to do with me. It felt like you were not welcome in the community, and the only way you were really going to have fun is if you were already friends with them. Just a very exclusive and closed RP sessions I felt. Also, the very condescending attitude from the veteran's to the newer people with questions and so forth. Especially from a girl...I forgot her exact name, something like Syneria or something, but she seemed like she had to be rude and condescending to everyone who asked a question. So, I think improvements need to be made in that aspect, unless you enjoy the current state of things.

I always do attempt to talk to new faces IC. I log on sometimes to find that many people are already involved in RP (Not being in a tavern, but out and about) on those days, I just log and come back an hour later to see if there's something going on in a town that would make sense for me IC.

The probllem with getting friends with other people...all I can say is it takes time. You're a new face, you're interesting. Nothing is known of you, give it time and you'll be up to your head in RP as well as friends.

As for the person you came in contact with being rude, not sure if you're saying she was rude OOC or IC, but people have their off days. I snap sometimes, although I don't do it in game, I just log out.

Sad to see someone leave with such a large goodbye, perhaps you will reconsider your option of leaving and come back in time.

- The crazed and insane troll,
...Tobala,Grink,Krahg,Trine. Think that's all his names. ::Glances around::
cothplayer1 Wrote:Typical Grand Exit, there I said it.
Stating one's feelings (and, very eloquently, without whining) shouldn't be looked down upon, even if the person is expressing displeasure.

I will echo Tobala by saying that Lokk and I always try to make time for any "newbies" (your words) that we come across - though we tend not to frequent Drudaen and the other more "popular" places. I'm sorry that we missed running into you, but due to a million unpredictable things, no one can meet everyone.

Unfortunately, CotH isn't for everyone, but I can see Mark's point of view. Thank you for stating your peace, Mark, and I hope that you find what you're looking for. I'm sorry that you weren't able to find it here.
MarkM86 Wrote:Especially from a girl...I forgot her exact name, something like Syneria or something, but she seemed like she had to be rude and condescending to everyone who asked a question. So, I think improvements need to be made in that aspect, unless you enjoy the current state of things.

You came close.

I can myself admit that I use a sort of "Matter of Factly" system, even if you're new, even if you're old.

I sincierly say sorry if I seemed or was rude, it is just how I react. Together with the sorry I want to say thank you for pointing it out, I'll remember it in future.
Quote:Typical Grand Exit, there I said it.

First I note, this was unneeded. Its not a typical grand exit. He's offering forth ideas and opinion's in a calm manner to try to help those who run and play on this server.

Next, I agree entirely with absolutely everything he's said (Cept the vouches, cause I know what they are). After even two or so weeks Sva and I still felt unwelcome and that it was very difficult to 'infiltrate the cliche'.

I find that the 'We'd rather have less then more" and "We dont Want it easy to join, we like our lil group" idea for the server.. well, to be honest, close-minded. Without more people around, its harder to Roleplay, because not everyone finds people to RP with during their time zones, or available playing times. You're essentially hurting the server more then helping it. But, its your server, and if thats how you like it then that's that. I believe at the moment the server has too small of a group for newer people to get into and be included, it takes far too much, and in the end those who have 'faults' compared to the rest of ya'll (By faults I mean, different playing times, different time zones, different way of RPing) really dont have a place to stay here.

I'll be back, myself. I'm going through some RL stuff and to be honest, the effort of getting into the 'in crowd' on the server is just too much for me right now. But hopefully when Dina does turn back up, she'll be able to sneak around more.

-shrugs and waves-
I don't have a lot to say on this, other than a formal apology for cothplayer1's unneeded comment and a small note on the server population and "cliques".

No, this is not a "grand exit". I count "grand exit" posts as overly dramatic, ranting, raving, accusatory posts where the player aims to upset certain people or the community as a whole. This post is carefully thought out, respectful, and approached in a calm tone. I respect that. A lot.

We CANNOT support a large population. Every time we try, the feeling of community breaks down, people get stressed out, GMs dread logging in and normally rational players get into petty flame wars. This is not supposition, I have watched it happen more than once. Currently, I suspect we are nearing that limit again, and that worries me. I wish to remind everyone that Rule #1 is RESPECT, no matter what.

Cliques are going to happen. Certain people know each other outside the game, others have characters that fit together well, others have similar personality types and get along well. Thus, cliques form. We are long overdue for another big OOC meet-and-greet, which can sometimes break up the sense of separation between groups, but there will still always be groups. That said, it doesn't mean that players cannot get to know these groups, or that they cannot be part of several of these roleplaying groups. (An uberclique? Hm. Anyway...)

With all of this said, I DO understand why people want a larger population, and I'm not saying it's wrong. These are just my observations and opinions.
Pretty well said, Qaza. I also think that as a community grows, "clique-ing" tends to just happen, as people find similar interests, schedules, etc. Also, projects and storylines, etc. go on and people get tied up in those. And I also know how awful that can be on new players.

I will say that one remedy for that is for established players to try to make time and effort to get to meet new players. (As people are making effort toward doing, as mentioned before.) I will also follow up that even though this has been my plan (hence playing Amriya as a Tavern Greeter), I've personally had a real erratic store of time and energy, myself. I've had great intentions, but can't say I've done my part. I actually feel sincerely bad about that.

Also, when the community grows, trying to meet as many people as possible can start to feel like a chore despite anyone's best efforts. Sure, maybe it's only one bad apple out of a dozen or so. But that means that when there's a few dozen, there's a few (sometimes REALLY) bad apples. It can erode what's left for everybody else.

I really do think an OOC Meet & Greet could be a great help. We have such an immersive RP environment that the unintended downside can be that we doing really get to CONNECT with each other as people. /chat isn't quite the same, I don't think. I would be very happy to help organize one if need be.

Maybe it'll help with more "clicking". :D

I apologize, I didn't know what I was talking about.
Hey, keep us up to date on this Meet and greet, maybe it'd help to attend :)

Sva and I, just to note, are not leaving the server. I just need a break and so, am taking one. Sva and I do stick together alot so when I decide I just want to 'hack n slash', he comes with. In turn, when he wants to hack'n'slash.. I pretend to do the same (Actually I'm standing at the sidelines screaming "DONT HURT THE BEBE MURLOCS!")

But back to the reason for this post.. If its decided, someone maybe put a note up when the meet'n'greet (without hack'n'slash) is happening, so that we can attend, please :D
Qaza has essentially said what I wanted to, but I'll touch on certain points more strongly.

We're not trying to make a large community. That was never, ever our (or at least my) intention. Rather than bring in scores of people, I would rather see a small group that we all know, that can RP together as friends first and foremost. The more people get added into the game, the further from this feeling the server goes.

In fact, I'd say it's already gone too far in this sense. I already feel virtually no desire to log in to the server to RP. There are just too many people I don't know, not enough that I do, and many that I don't really consider good RPers. Maybe that makes me elitist. I dunno.

I'm sorry you didn't like the server. Some people can be rude, but no one brings anything to the GM's (or admin's) attention, and then it's somehow supposed to reflect poorly on us or the server in general when we don't even know there's a problem.
I think this thread has been one of the most insightful in awhile. Unfortunately, I don't have much to add to the conversation other than...

A meet and greet is a wonderful idea, one that doesn't need to be organized by the GMs, but rather a few individuals who feel it in their best interest. I know that I'm more than willing to help "tie things up." Are there any others that feel the same? I mean... I'm sure there are, but will they speak up?

The key factor in OoC Anonymity is that, unless you take action to know others, you will not be known yourself.
Most say, that was one, of the greatest ways to say goodbye Ive seen.

Most things said. and this has even been mentioned alot. So, Heres what I got to say:

The Idear of a "Welcome Greeting" or as mentioned "Meet and greet", is a Wonderful, and Brilliant Idear!

I will voulenter fully. But Since I dont got a Char-Profile Accepted yet, I find It hard to attend to it... Sadly

But if you could make up a Char, that I can use for this single event, I would GLADLY take on the role.

Oh, and Last: Lets make a new threat for it, so we dont use MarkM86's Topic for this`?
You don't need an approved profile to play! You only need an approved profile to level past 40. Please log in and join us. :)

I am extremely happy to see one scheduled, will be there unless something comes up that prevents me. I'm looking forward to meeting people and would love to see us click together into a rich community.
Pages: 1 2