Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Newbie Survival Guide!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ahh. I thought it would be nice to add this for everyone, especially those who are somewhat timid, new to RP, and/or are having a hard time navigating around the site.

The Newb's Survival Guide to CoTH!

Alright. First things first. Read the rules. Provided here, with this link.

Rules!

Next, read the rest of the wiki. We have a TON of lore, among the fact that we hold on to all the original WoW lore, and thus reading this gives you a major heads up to what has happened in our neck-of-the-woods.

Among the lore, you will find in our wiki policies on items, leveling, loot, drop rates (including gold and items), information on character profiles, including creation and the typical format we use, and the actual active characters we have at the moment. Also, don't forget to look at the FAQ's, as you may have a few questions that are in there!

Now that you have read through that, there are some other things that go in hand with this. There are stickies all throughout the forums. We expect that you have read these, along with the rules, and the wiki.

If you ask us a question, and we know it's in the wiki, we will politely say "READ THE WIKI AND/OR THE RULES". Do NOT be offended when we do, or assume we are stupid, so on, so forth. Also, please, please do not respond with "I have". Saying that proves you haven't.

---------------

That pesky "one post" rule. I strongly, -strongly- suggest you make this your introduction. A well written, nicely stated intro, that explains you as a player, gives us a good and firm impression of you.

Remember, this is you announcing that your coming onto our site! We are excited to have you, so keep going!

---------------

Now, you've got that out of the way, you know what to do, yes?

Good. Now comes the actual survival aspect.

We generally have had some certain outlines with profiles with which we avoid. When someone is posting a character for the first time, we tend to notice a lot of things. Grammar, length, format, whether or not it's a standardized race, and so on.

That's something that's been covered frequently. What is less covered are these facts when it comes to profiles.

1. We tend to like a person's first character to be pretty simple. Don't confuse this for "boring", and especially not lazily written. What this means, is that to us, someone writing a profile about the most uber muscle clad/magical fancies/stealthiest burgle, as their first profile NO MATTER HOW WELL WRITTEN, is a huge, huge sign of future characters to come from this player. And yes, I'm talking about this being a sign of someone who will be a godmoder.

2. Alignment. There has only been ONE person that I've seen play a damned good villain as their first charater. The rest are not really villains. They are silly, or overpowered, or, quite frankly, a wasted character. Most of the time, these people discard the character, go on to another one. Thus, making an "abandoned Mary Sue", as I like to call it.

3. Your responses. If you're rude, and think we are dumb because you are the special snowflake and we should accept your amazing character because everyone and their mother loves you, your not only making a terrible impression, but odds are we are already talking about getting rid of you. Remember, respect is in the rules you've read, folks.

4. Quirks. How darn quirky is your character? Sure, everyone has their differences, but I'm not going to approve the guy that's batshiz crazy, or the guy who has more random junk about him than anyone. Moderation is your friend, really.

5. THE MARY-SUENESS. There are -pages- of stuff on this in the forums. Hell, Google Mary Sue/Gary Stu. This is simply the stark contrast to the "quirky-kill" in the last example.

6. Basically, anything that we find to truly be odd. And you guys know when it's odd.

7. And, just a safety thing again. If you think its a little to raunchy, gory, or offensive, it probably is. I know for damn sure, if it offends -me-, there is something WRONG with it.

Alright, all that aside, take a breather. Look over your character. Do you approve? Good. The ultimate question is, and one I have to ask myself frequently; will this character be someone you will enjoy having interactions with other people on? If not, scrap it. Don't submit the profile. Start over, and include stuff you like. Yes, YOU. Your playing the character, not us.

Okay. You survived so far? Good.

--------------

Now, ingame.

Remember, look back at those rules, and the chat channel usage. Join the channels that you must, and use them properly. Join chat, and say hello! Your in game now!

We are strictly an RP server. So that gear that you "must have" to RP in, that item you'll die without, or whatever, forget about it for now, and go and get your vouches!

Now, with vouching. You've got to ask yourself, "what kind of person will people vouch for?"

The answer is almost always simple. Be respectful OOC, play your character using the guidlines we've provided, and BE PATIENT. People will see if you are an asset to the server. However, if you are just a plain ass, you probably won't get far.

It is easier to attract flies with honey that with vinegar. Or something like that. So, do us a favor, and act like your having fun, and not being uptight about everything.

-----------------

Now you've got your vouches, and you've been here a while, and perhaps you have your character approved. Huzzah! This is not the "end of the road", as the policies and rules still apply.

The biggest part of being able to survive here in Conquest of the Horde is pretty simple. Check your attitude. If you've had a bad day, check the baggage at the door. If you think this is not the place for you, but your not quite sure, avoid being a drama llama and making it known how "terrible" you think we are compared to "X Site".

Keep to the rules, be respectful, and please, remember, have fun. That's what this place is for, FUN. Others come here for that, and it really puts a huge damper on things when you have the guy/gal who seems to care only about themselves, and therefore become a void of anger, unhappyness, insults, and carry forth a GENERAL LACK OF RESPECT.

--------------

Things to keep in mind while interacting in character.

There are murderers, theives, angry people, rude people, people who like noone, and people who love to be alone. THIS IS RP. Do not take offense! If the person is being a terror OOC, SCREENSHOT SCREENSHOT, SCREENSHOT!!

Help us to help you when it comes to it. Or, sadly, we cannot help you. If we catch you both flaming eachother, or you decide to take matters in your own hands, you'll both get in trouble. Regardless of who started it.

----------------

Well. This pretty much sums it up. If there has been something I have forgotten, or something seems out of place, go back to the Wiki. If it's NOT there, we will take your question. But, more than likely, it's there.

Newbie links! Links to pretty much all you need.

I neglected to name the links, so that you have to look at them all. You cannot say "bah, I'll skip this part, the wiki is for noobs!".

Good stuff!

Quote:The rest are not really villains. They are silly, or overpowered, or, quite frankly, a wasted character.

<Bawls> I know, I knooowwww...
Thankyou Rensin, for taking the time and effort to make this post. Hopefully new people will have some sense to read this.

If they don't, I will prod them until they do.

Good job Rensin. I'd give you a cookie but I eated it...
were is the realmlist thingy that tells ppl how to get the realmlist?? i cant find it usuly it says connection guild on it but i dont see it any were.
Following the guidelines that are clearly outlines in this guide would have given you that information.

But given the benefit of a doubt....

http://wiki.conquestofthehorde.com/Connecting

Realmlist is here.

Please read the wiki.
Read the first page of the wiki!