Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Conquest of the Bored
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to ask the community on an Idea I have and something I wished to do. But it works in so many ways. The premise I'd like to do is travel/adventure/boat RP. I'd like for the main hub for this RP to be one of the ships that will be traveling to exotic lands and fending off sea creatures. Similar to the Clovis' Marine guild where players could port to and from the boat if they wished for supplies or to handle personal things but for the most part RP would consist of characters getting to know each other, getting on each others nerves and a grand journey and adventure. Something Similar to the Odyssey or other stories of Greek Legend. A lot of creatures in wow are pretty fantastical that could serve for interesting eye opening experiences. How to present this in a way that it is enjoyable is my issue though.

I'll break it down into a couple of sections.

Storylines

First I could base this off one of the original ideas I've had. Kyjael's Quest 2

Kyjael's Quest

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about. But since I'd like to say I'm a little more educated on the lore I'd change some things drastically. Like the main character. Basically this storyline could be about a group of Kaldorei that leave Darnassus for a multitude of reasons. They can be family, friends, or peers/pupils of someone (maybe they're sent on a pilgramage?) or anything. They can meet and interact with whats going on. We could use the Kaldorei boat model which is really cool if you've never seen it. They could fight a range of things and possibly do some dungeon crawling.

Or I could always tie it into Novalight stuff.

Pros to this would be there are chars that are already developed within the story that could easily shift to this idea. Somewhat of a Con too as it might be unlikely for some to come due to such development. Jidaeo has a boat and was ICly tossing the idea of trying to make a stealth generator over the ship. Obviously it'd take a lot of work and would probably have a lot of smaller generators to network a cloak but it would serve only for RP purposes, loosing a trail or idly drifting. Somewhat of a mobile hideout. I would probably use one of the Northrend boats, for two reasons. One the cold dreary atmosphere would match Jidaeo and two because of the ability to fly. It would be cool and feasable for characters to fly to the boat, or portal to it.

Ordonis Odyssey

Been thinking of a way to go on an adventure. I was thinking Raphael Sr gives Raph Jr a Rite of passage so to speak. In which he would give his son his favorite hat that he got from his father and his grandfather's boat. Called the 'Odyssey'. Since Raphael Sr has had too many bad incidents with water traveling he'd never use it. But his son could and they could travel around this boat seeking adventure and aiding. This might be alliance based and lawfully good. I'd probably use one of the regular ships. Always a good place to start.

Brand New

An Idea I'm pushing for but has its cons. I'd be fun to start new characters and go out on a fresh adventure learning OOC/IC skills along the way. Perhaps form new friendships, or Rivalries. New stories new adventures and a place to grow. I've been trying to think of new types of characters to play perhaps this could be an outlet. Any of the ships are open for this idea.

Combat

This can go a few ways as well.

We can trust it, which is self explanatory. A way to give a nice direction over the battle. No sense of danger though since we're in control. Not necessarly true but even if we do plan to lose or place ourselves in a dangerous situation since nothing is given up to chance its really not a surprise outcome.

Roll

I love giving it up to chance. But Sometimes it can be too much, which leave you with skeletons or anonymous Pirates beating ace or our own trained characters missing Orcs standing in front of them.

DnD?

My friends and I used to play pick up games of table top rpgs just because we enjoyed RP and hated going through the 2hour period of creating a character and figuring out stats and bonus and all that. So we did things like this.

Stg: ( This is your strength, it would be attributed to your attack dmg, or any strength checks. There would probably be limits. Gnomes 1-3 humans 1-6 elves 1-4 Orcs 1-8 Tauren 1 - 10 Just an Idea )

Spd: ( This would be used for speed checks, and an attack bonus specifically on attacks where momentum is the driving force. Such as a charge or a tackle. )

Agi: ( This is your agility, this would be used as a defensive or evasion modifier. Also would roll for agility checks. This would also serve as 'dexterity' for hunters and non-magical range combatants.)

Int: ( This is your intelligence, it can modify your magic attacks and defense. Also can roll for intel checks. )

Dur: ( this would be how durable your character is, and would be the number multiplied for your HP or Health/hit points )

HP: ( How much health you have until you K.O. by reaching zero. -10 is a character death. )

Close Combat: ( This is your skill with melee combat to reflect your knowledge and ability. Useful for Warriors, Rogues, Paladins, Feral Druids, Death Knights and the like. Most melee dmg will be Close Combat + strength. Close Combat + Speed if it is a charge, ram, or tackle attack. )

Ranged Combat: ( This is your skill with ranged combat to reflect your knowledge and ability. Useful for Mages, Warlocks, Hunters, Priests, Some Shaman, Some Druid, Attacking for Spell casters would probably use. Ranged Combat + Intel for dmg. Hunters may use Range and Agility being a substitute for dexterity.)

Racial benefits.

We can go through the list and pick what each race has that could be helpful. Such as toughness would give a plus + 2 to damge rolls for instance. Or -1 or -2 to damage received. Trolls have regeneration so could have a healing factor. /roll 3 every set number of rolls to regain health. Things like this can be taken into account.

How would it work?

Starting out we'd have a select number of points to distribute there for we couldn't start out with the hardened warrior we wanted. Or! If we did they would still have room to improve. Level one basically. The rolls would be out of /roll 20 and modifiers would be added accordingly. It would be simple if those involved looked over the system. There would be a thread to keep track of our char sheets and a leveling system to promote activity and progress on the journey.

Skills and Abilities:

This would be a list of your abilities. They most likely will be moves learned from the game but can be abilities within the spectrum of your class that are allowed on the server. Arcane Lightning etc." Also skills will be leveled, so when you level up you can put points into these abilities for more damage and possibly stronger effects.

Modifiers: Modifiers would be the place for things that effect your character naturally or constantly. Such as Troll Regeneration, or Tauren Toughness. Or perhaps a gnomish device to increase strength gives you +1 to your gnome warrior, or a cloak of fire resistance. With the .addrpitem we can really get creative with quest items and loot from our travels.

A fight would go like this.

A: Thuntor raises his axe for a swing.

A:/roll 20
B:/roll 20 say A wins

B: Bella is slashed with the axe.

Dmg would be Stg + Close Combat + Modifier ( if any Stg Bonus, Weapon bonus )

B would subtract this number from their HP pool.

Then repeat.

A: Vivi the mage casts Firebolt

A: /roll 20
B: /roll 20 Say A wins

B: Is burn by the ball of flame.

Dmg: Ranged Combat + Spell level + intel

The math would be quite easy, and there would always be character sheets on the forums for quick reference. By the time things get really moving you'll pretty much know your damage since it will be the same until you level up and redistribute skill points. This can really add the necessity of the healing class. With more HP healers will have a lot to do. XP would be handed out per kill/party encounter. And Per session. If the idea of starting new characters is chosen we can learn our OOC class abilities.

Also since everyone has mains, I was thinking we could all just pick a day or two throughout the week to gather for this story, like most people who play table tops. The story would be on hiatus until we re-gathered. Unless we decided to pick our mains. Then they can wander freely. Choosing to return to a location for reasons of their choosing.

I'd still like to do this regardless if we use this system or not, but I'd try not to let the information turn you away. The system is very easy and can be tweaked so things are balanced. It'd be fun to track progression and actually see the growth in our characters as they travel. If anyone has any feedback I'd really appreciate it.
Adventure/travel/boat/Odyssey? In.

I would be willing to involve Hadara with this. :)
Lets get my Kaldorei in, though IO might just reserve her for another storyline. Whoknows, they can be intertwined.
Sure I'm up for anything. Just need a little more feedback on what storyline should I use and if there should be a combat/leveling system or just continue the way we usually RP.