Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: In hopes of sparking up the interest in RP...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, my comrades.

Some of you know I went out on a brief break from CoTH to try and regain that itch to RP, but so far I've come out with nothing.

To keep matters short, I pose to you an idea!

Character wipe. Every single one of them (minus a certain one that's tied because of IC matters). Just dump all 26-ish down the toiled and start over. If that doesn't get me back into RP, I have no clue what will.

Opinions? Thoughts? Any rules I should take into account before doing this?
I always like elaborate deaths..killing off a few characters could be fun for you. ;D

As a sidenote...Adam!
I have done this before when I went away for a long while. but I make sure that characters have no ties in game and I prefer them to not even be remembered. Just something to think about.
I've done the same for when I got back, and it was fun. So I cheer you on! May the whipping commence!
The amount of horrible deaths I can come up with for my characters... Oh good god...

@Cressy: CRSSY!
Cressy's suggestion is a really good start, I love it!

I've been struggling with the same issue or rather that I'm looking forward to certain RP and scenarios but not truly a character in its entirety. That is why I created Riael and when I did I tried to collect all of the RP concepts I have really liked before and ideas I have had for characters for some time and meld them as much as I could into one character.

I've also aimed to keep him flexible, so that even with hatred and dislike can RP with almost anyone and almost anywhere so that I do not limit the character and the RP I can get with him in any way. So far this has worked really well and grown to be one of my absolutely most loved characters I've ever made in Wow.
If you truly feel a character wipe will do you best, I encourage it. I will be sad if you decide Talesta is one you'll be throwing out :(

Otherwise, feel free to explore what character concepts you wish to explore and see if you can discover opportunities to better roleplay.
It's ultimately up to you, I feel. If you feel a character wipe / killing off your characters / giving them suitable ends or retirements will help you find your spunk again, then that's possibly a good idea. As long as you discuss it with the people who'll be affected. ;)
I'm really glad to see a thread like this, because honestly I've been tempted to do just the same when I 'returned', because honestly I never went into the mood to RP my old characters. Well, it seems I'll be doing it as well, heh...

Regardless, I think if you're really sure you should do that, go for it! I'm sure it will spark you with other, new and fun ideas, as well as get you back and RPing, and hopefully you'll RP with me more, you nub!
Let Boan kill everyone.
As a fellow altoholic, I can sympathize and agree with a lot of what's been said.

What I found post restart was that a lot of the chars I decided to keep post-restart did not work as well as I planned, whether it was due to newer players (not a bad thing, just that new players tend to change the general RP environment which makes some characters more or less relevant), old RP buddies leaving, old guilds being less active or not active at all, or just RL emotional changes.

I'll give you a good example of the last one, my Dwarf smithy Kerana. My biggest disappointment post-restart was not getting Axestorm Smithing up and running and lasting. Part of it was because my schedule shifted a lot, and so I was constantly missing the other players online. Part of it I also realized was that I'd been working so much in RL that to come here and do 'work RP' wasn't as exciting a concept. I wanted more adventure, or more tavern RP, things that most certainly were not work. So I decided to drop actively running it, letting people decide if they wanted to stay and use the employment as an RP point.

I haven't used my womanizer Dwarf Remyl much pre-restart, but I did the other day. And taking a break from the character made playing him fun again. With him as well as Dibykali, my Darkspear Orc, there were a couple similar concepts to show up from other awesome RPers, and it took some time away from the characters to also figure out what it was that I was trying to accomplish with them, and a new mindset helps in reviving my own interest in the character.

I went from wanting to only have 5 or 6 alts post-restart to having 20-something. Some newer characters, like Tun'kar, Alekzandra, Quennath, Penandion, and Yancy, have worked out awesomely. Others, like Arjua, Sister Gabrielle, and Janx'il, haven't had the desired impact. But the ones that failed had interesting points to them that I could carry over to the characters that did work to make them more interesting (Bovel's character Riael was a great example for this as well).

So, all this basically sums to taking the ideas you love to play, and making a character or limiting yourself to one or two characters that you can explore those ideas on. And in the end, you'll find what you're looking for.
Damn, that's a lot of replies.

Well, most of you felt like I should go with it, it seems. So I shall go ahead with the wipe. Of course, I need to talk things over with the people this affects, so it'll be a few days longer before I can actually go on with this.

One way or the other, thanks for the opinions!
See you all in game, hopefully.