Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Just came to say hello
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:

I enjoy a variety of different games, including of course Role-playingGs. The main attraction to RPGs is for the stories they offer, where you can immerse yourself in a universe and perhaps even shape it to your liking. Some of my favourite moments in games are discovering new worlds (like the one of Warcraft), being inducted into secret organisations and intense sessions of chess.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:

Born, raised and living in Sweden and so, naturally, my primary language is Swedish. I'd much appreciate it though if you took no heed to my country of origin and instead pointed out any erroneous choice of words or other grammatical flaws so that I can further my English-writing abilities. Really, be as picky as you want to!

How did you get into Warcraft?:

I received Warcraft III as a birthday gift from an aunt when I was younger. While I certainly enjoyed playing it, for some reason it didn't exactly leave a lasting impression.
When World of Warcraft came around I was skeptical at first to the whole payment scheme but eventually my longing for a gryphon-mounted dwarven ranger of my own got the better of me.

After the initial disappointment that came with learning that the gryphons were automated taxi mounts I soon became lost in that new and immersive world of sword-fights and sorcery.
In time I looked to a role-playing server, I'm not sure what prompted me to make the move as I was wholly unfamiliar to the concept but I soon discovered the pure joy of taking part in unpredictable stories unfolding.
In the end, the only thing that kept me playing was the RP but by then I had grown so weary of WoW in general that I withdrew my subscription for good.

How did you find us? Did anything in particular draw you to the server?:

I recently experienced a sudden epiphany that I should once again indulge myself in role-playing after a long hiatus and so I sought the knowledge of Google to guide my way back to Warcraft and exhilarating RP. As I laid eyes on this webpage I found myself intrigued and as I perused the plentiful pages of information I felt giddy with anticipation. The firm rules and vast guides show dedication and whispered sweet promises of RP to be had with friendly people of this mind-set. The whole process of applying seems to me as a good way to ensure a level of quality by weeding out the worst offenders of unfitting tropes and making people put in more of an effort into their role-playing.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:

What kinds don't I enjoy? Well, let's see. It's been, I think, a few years since I actually role-played last but what I'm looking forward to is everything from spontaneous casual conversations to being a part of larger stories and developing my characters. To pin my interest to a certain type of role-playing I'd say I especially enjoy guild-based RPing, if that makes my case any clearer. I'm open for mostly anything that comes my way.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:

I'm going to say trolls. The pure aesthetics of trolls delight me; the posture, the colours of their skin and hair and their long-nosed faces. They seem like comfortable, laid-back and generally pleasant folk to be around when they are not on the warpath or under the influence of malignant spirits. I also have fond memories of troll role-playing with revived ancient empires and feverish Loa-worship in the steamy jungle.

What are your expectations of this server?:

I'm hoping for some intriguing role-playing and interacting with a lot of friendly people. I also aim to improve my communication skills and story-writing abilities to ultimately become a better role-player. One thing that I'm going to have to work at is expanding my knowledge of the lore which never was top notch to begin with and has since gotten a bit rusty. After spending some time browsing the forum I've come to expect this server's population to be knowledgeable and creative and aside from having fun I think I'll learn a lot from you all.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:

The rules about role-playing. I definitely agree with the approach of utilising and furthering the diversity within the frame of established lore and having more balanced, reasonable and unique characters. I think it leaves room for a whole variety of different kinds of role-playing, from the mundane to the heroic, without resorting to over the top roleplay with mountain-cleaving swords and eyes brighter than the sun.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

The view from the hill spanned the entirety of the dense pine forest and the grassy slopes leading up to the mountains, bluishly hazy in the distance. Seated on a tree stump a bald, yellow-bearded dwarf was thoroughly cleaning his long rifle with a rag.
Behind him was a fellow ranger busy with folding up the remains of their small camp. After brushing off the morning dew clinging to the tent canvas the younger, black-haired dwarf strapped the last of their belongings to their two rams standing tied to a pine tree.
Placing his rifle in his lap the elder one put his finger to one nostril and blew snot out of the other. He cleared his throat and called out for his companion:

'Tholbur.'

Tholbur took a few steps closer while unwrapping a piece of bread in a napkin and began to nibble it. He stood himself besides the sitting dwarf who peered at him with small, dark eyes.

'We'll have to make headway up through that pass nearing the mountains, but I'm thinking we'll have him before sunset.' the older dwarf said to which Tholbur nodded before finishing his bite of bread and asking:

'You don't think he's further gone, you're sure we'll catch up to him then?'

'With his leg wounded I doubt he can go very fast and with us on our rams... We're really just tiring him out so he'll hopefully be easier to handle.'

'I just don't see how you can be so sure of it, that that we can find him, when we haven't seen him still since mid yesterday.'

'We've seen his hoof tracks in the woods, unmistakably tauren. And from what I know he's confused and bent on fleeing. So he's making his way north, to reach the Wetlands, only he's unfamiliar to these parts and will take the most straight-forward path to get there. Which is where we'll find him.'

Tholbur had taken out his canteen and drank from it while he listened as the bald dwarf rambled on:

'I was riding ahead of the carriage when the whole thing went up in a cloud of dirt and pebbles. The cart just suddenly blew apart and the rams panicked. The tauren hadn't said a word until he started mumbling, I guess calling on spirits.
You see, we hadn't thought him a shaman, because he was already wounded when we first caught him. On account of that unhealed injury we reckoned him unfavored by the spirits.
On the whole he seemed strangely docile, not a violent creature, unarmed even. Tallest living thing I've ever seen but sort of slender for a tauren' the bald dwarf digressed.

'What did he do? I mean, why was he being held?, asked Tholbur.

'Why he was being held? He's an enemy, deep in our territory. Of course we're not going to let him wander around.'

'Of course, I understand that, but then what was he doing here?'

'See, that's the oddest thing. A tauren doesn't exactly provide the most inconspicuous figure, he doesn't fit to be a spy. This far south of the Thandol Span, he couldn't have just lost his way. But then if he has got no business here, I'm thinking he may simply be mad' he shrugged.

The dwarf put his hands to his knees clutching his rifle and rose, drew his dark green hood up and swung the rifle onto his back.

'We need to get moving now, lad.'

'Wait, what do we do once we see him?' asked Tholbur, straightening out his own rifle strap.

'The only thing we can do. We can't go around dragging him along out here in the nowhere. Besides, we're not risking our hides trying to spare his. Don't give him the chance to put you to harm. Keep your senses sharp, and your blunderbuss ready.'

They made loose and mounted their rams, beginning down the hill towards the mountains. The grass plains were a lively green and the sky a pale blue. The heavens radiated a blinding light, forcing the riders to shield their eyes with their hands to be able to look forward.

A greyed hare darted across the field as they neared the pass leading through the mountains, a cool breeze flowing down from the peaks. The two dwarves brought their rams to a canter and continued through the small canyon. Their eyes were kept on the top of the cliff walls when a large shadow rose there obscured by the sun.

A thunderous rumble reverberated around the small canyon and rocks were sent down flying from the sides. Caught in the hail of stone the rams and riders went down. Before the dust had settled, the dwarves emerged from under the gravel. Covered in dirt and badly bloodied they desperately looked for their assailant while their hands fumbled to retrieve the weapons.

The tall shadow was moving towards the pile of rubble under which the two animals lay and the dwarves crouched behind. Tholbur pulled up his blunderbuss and let off a shower of pellets at the briefly visible tauren. The beast fell out of sight groaning.

Not finding his ammunition pouch, Tholbor looked to his comrade who in turn gave him a hollow, terrified stare. The bald dwarf cried out in horror just as the tauren descended upon him, swinging a heavy branch which beat the ranger's head into the cliff wall. Tholbur quickly drew his short-sword and pierced the tauren's hoof as it turned around and struck from above the second dwarf with the tree-limb.

The mottled tauren shuddered and dropped the branch, stepped over the heap again and limped a few feet before settling down on the ground. He put his hands over the bleeding hoof and chanted as his whole frame trembled and rocked back and forth.
All that came was a wisp of wind, stirring the dust. Eyes to the sky he whimpered as blood continued streaming from the single wound. Some moments passed before he solemnly gathered himself up and dragging his foot walked north.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:

I should perhaps once again mention my, should I say, relative inexperience with role-playing. I haven't ever done any RP outside of WoW and some time has passed since then. So really, in the beginning, if I'm allowed in, I'm going to try my best at brushing up on the lore, practising role-play encounters and getting a feel for it again as well as discover the perks of a private RP server.

There it goes, thanks for reading.
G'day! I'm Sachiko and I'm here to tell you that you have been approved! Welcome to Conquest of the Horde! I think there's a few other Swedish players here too. And if you're looking for a friend that can help you relearn how to RP, I sure can help you out with that! :D And the story was well written. You're pretty good with grammar, you know.

I'd suggest looking over our fun rules and policies, read our fun Wiki, and check out our FAQs if you have any questions! And if there's something you can't quite figure out, feel free to ask me anything!

And you're in luck. We've got plenty of trolls hanging around as of late!
And a quick edit: I know a few Dwarf players that'd love some more Dwarf RP!