Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Le Computer troubles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So then! One day I started up the computer, everything was fine and dandy until I wanted to play LoL. The loading screen was fine, my ping was fine, except for my fps. Normally I would go 40-60 fps with it maybe dropping to 30-ish in a team fight. However, once the game was loaded and it started, my fps was 4. That's right, not 40, or 400, 04. So, naturally my jaw dropped and I was freaking out. I restarted my computer, ran virus scans and the did the usual routine to purge my computer of imaginary invaders. Nothing turned up, so I thought all was fine again. Started up the client for League, started a game... and it was still 4fps. So, I ran a few more games such as WoW and Team Fortress, but everything was pretty much running at the same rate. The log-in screen for WoW was choppy, TF2 was so bad I could hardly quit the game without thinking of resorting to using the control panel to force it to quit.

Surprisingly, other programs such as Firefox, iTunes, Malwarebytes, etc, all ran fine. I'm pretty sure it's not my internet connection's problem, but then again, I was never much of a handyman with computers. Any thoughts, suggestions and solutions? :P

Le computer's specs:
Spoiler:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHZ
Memory: 6142MB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300GE

Need any more info? Just say so!
1. Clean the inside of your computer for any dust/stuff that may have gotten in there.
2. Update your video card's driver.
3. See if your CPU's are over heating.
The advises Saetik gave you are pretty good, but before that you could do the following:

1. Check if your system drive has enough space for temporary files (usually a few GBs are way more than enough for C:\).
2. Run a Disk Cleanup on the system drive (you never know what could be clogging it).
3. Check the running Processes and see if there are some suspicious ones that are taking a lot of CPU or RAM to run.
4. Install a hardware monitoring software (such as Everest, for example) and check the temperature of your CPU in idle and fully loaded state.
5. Check the temperatures of your video adapter as well (since the video card overheats more often than the CPU usually).
6. Defragment your system drive.

The cause of such a behavior of a given PC, could be both from the hardware and the software. It is not easy to determine what does it. One thing is sure - it's not your Internet connection. If it was, the WoW Login screen would have been running fine, considering WoW loads the login screen from the HDD, not from the server.
Thanks for all the advice! I've tried most of them, and here are the results as well as an update.

1. Opened up the computer and dusted around, seemed pretty clean from what I saw.
2. Video card drivers were all up to date, so not much to do there heh.
3. CPU temperature seemed fine since my fan makes a huge racket when the computer begins to heat up too much.
4. System drive still has tons of space since it wasn't that long since the last time I wiped my computer clean (don't ask why...)
5. I used CCleaner, not sure if that'll clear up space.
6. Haven't installed Everest yet, will get on that soon!
7. Not totally sure how to check the temperature of my video adapter. :P
8. Already defragmented!

Update: So today I booted up LoL again, in the beggining it was going around 30 FPS, but then after the first game ended and the second game started again, it dropped back down to 4 FPS. Everything else seemed fine though, so... still confused. :S
Well I don't know what might be wrong other than it might be the game.
You should reinstall it or simply lower your video card settings for the game.
Alright... two more suggestions.

1. Run a full virus scan on the whole HDD.
2. Next time you run a game and it gives you troubles, open your task manager without closing the game and take a look at the performance tab. If the RAM or the CPU (or both) are working at 100%, try lowering the settings of the game.

And about checking the temperature of your video adapter - Everest can do that. It seems the most possible reason for me, though... as I said before, there arecountless many reasons why a PC would do that.
I am happy to say that my computer is back to normal! Only downside is that he completely wiped my computer and fiddled with it to see what was messing with it. So... now I just need to patch WoW and I'll be back in action. :D