Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: xbox 360 tray not opening?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Unless I tilt it about 45 degrees. I looked and from what I can see the belts look clean. It either opens just fine, or sits there not even budging. Almost if it's latched shut or something. I can hear it trying to open, but it doesn't always work. Not much I can do from the outside and I really don't want to crack it open. My PS2 never recovered from my tinkeringHmph.

Thoughts?
Sounds like you've got a jam somewhere. That or there's an electrical error with the switches.
Though it only opens when tilted 45 degrees? That strikes me as odd.
Not really. It's probably one tiny vital component that's out of alignment and when tilting the console, it falls back into place. However, this is not good at all, since moving an Xbox 360 while a game is inside it can often lead to some serious scratches on the disc. Not just the common scratches, but those deep scratches that goes along the disc's tracks and pretty much makes it useless.
Sounds like one of the gears that pops the tray out is out of place. You might have to take it someplace that officially repairs them, or send it in to Microsoft.

Usually it's from something like, pushing the tray shut instead of actually using the button.
Is it a normal 360 or a slim?
What Rensin said, basically. One should never push a tray in manually instead of pushing the button. Despite actually closing, no CD tray is actually -meant- to be closed that way.
Aadora's question on what make the xbox is a very valid point to a mid to long term solution, providing you don't mind a ugly xbox...

Basically. If you've got a older model xbox, I've gone through the same problem, so do what I did and try removing the faceplate. In the case of my Xbox it worked perfectly fine after that.
Usually removing the faceplate can work for older models, yes, as they are designed to come off. (Back in the day they used to actually try to sell decorative face plates.)

If it's the new slim ones... probably best to take it to a repair center, as microsoft puts their magical "Tamper tape" all over their products. You break that tape, which is easy to do, you void your warranty and if -anything- happens to it that's supposed to be covered (Like most RROD issues) they will charge your or refuse to fix your x-box.
In other words. Don't give them any reason to think it's your fault it's broken.
My advice:

If it is under warranty: SEND IT TO MICROSOFT. They will fix it if it is under warranty and the repairs should be free. If not free, then probably just shipping charges which could run $10~$25 US with whatever fee Microsoft sends in.

If not under warranty: Free for all! Fix it with whatever advice we throw at you + internet guides how to do it. Don't trust your abilities? There should be someone somewhere in your town/city that offers Xbox repairs.
If you don't have a warranty and you're engineering inclined, take it apart. That's always a good idea. (Don't trust me on this one)
(05-12-2012, 08:01 AM)SachikoMaeda Wrote: [ -> ]Don't trust your abilities?

Then there is always the choice of just KICKING IT.

The power of the warranty is great. The laptop I use currently I got for free with a fried BIOS chip. Wouldn't do a thing. I got to keep it if I could fix it. Did a little research and it was still under warranty with Lenovo/IBM. To and from shipping was free with the repairs.

I don't remember if Microsoft has their repair service the same way. Our Xbox was out of warranty when it red ring'd and had to get repaired. I think they charged $50 for the repairs. Of course we had to cover the shipping also.
(05-12-2012, 07:04 AM)Avitz Wrote: [ -> ]... try removing the faceplate.
Tried, didn't seem to to help at all. I have no idea if the thing is under warranty, as my wife got it for me on our two-year anniversary. Three years later and it's still kicking without this dreaded red ring of death I keep hearing about.

Quote:SEND IT TO MICROSOFT
Most likely, but it's not really high on my priority list. In the meantime I will try to figure out if it has a warranty. Knowing my wife, either it has none, or the longest possible policy.
Try to (gently) hit the 360 on the middle part above the disc tray (WITH NO DISC INSIDE, THIS IS IMPORTANT)

my friend's did the same thing a couple years back and every time he did that it worked.
Pages: 1 2