Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Server Switch: Back to Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As much as I hate to be saying this so soon, I'll likely be switching the server OS back to Windows.
Apparently, there's a rather "game-breaking" bug in Ubuntu that has been around for a few years where the mouse cursor input (ie, button clicks) are 'trapped' in a particular window. Often I also can't even switch keyboard focus to other windows, either. This makes productivity almost nill considering I have to reboot to regain control of the mouse focus for an uncertain amount of time.
Case in point, after the restart last night, I think I had about five minutes before the same thing started happening.
Normally I would just try another Linux flavor, but after considering the fact that currently I have to do -all- work on the server computer (including compiling the code), it's just too inefficient for me. Normally I do code updating, edits, and compilation on my main computer then transfer over the binaries to the server computer. At that point, it's only a matter of quitting the programs, replacing the binaries, and starting the programs right back up. Perhaps I'll explore Linux options again later on, as I did like certain functionality, but for now I'm going to reinstall Windows.

This process will probably take place sometime next week. I already have pretty much everything needed for the server set up in a way so that I can simply install and run processes (such as for Apache/PHP/MySQL), I would simply need to reinstall a few other programs and import server databases that have changed. Now I just need to find out what days off I have next week...
Good luck, Kretol :D this does sound like a hell of pain to manage >_< and my friend keeps telling me my CPU's about to die Beer
Have fun with that! xD
We're damn lucky to have you as our overlord.

/returns to the mines and farms
Better you than me!
That's the hard part about windows vs. linux. Windows is more accessible, Linux allows for some cool options but at the cost of accessibility. It's also difficult to get help on due to the fact there isn't much support, due to it being free. Some issues aren't addressed quickly because of this as well.

Erm. Anyhow! Good luck with that Kretol.
As an update, I will probably be doing this on Monday (the 28th; Memorial Day).

Edit: More specifically, I may actually start sometime after midnight (ie, just turning Monday) so that it can be done during off-peak hours.
Good luck, again. Hope it goes smoothly.
Good luck! Thanks for all your work, Kret.
As a reminder, I'll likely be doing this tomorrow evening - probably after midnight (going into Monday). Estimated downtime will be a few hours.
Alright, bringing the server down now (well, in a couple minutes) to start the process. Hope it doesn't take too long!
Note that the Account Management and Components sections will be inaccessible/not work during this time.
Maybe not RP music, but definitely fun to listen to! Thanks for all the hard work Kretol!
So, apparently the old 80GB drive that I had been using before for the OS is also potentially going bad. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to start over with the reinstallation process... and go through those horrid updates. On the plus side, this is being caught before several days/weeks/months go by.
At least, I hope it's the HDD. I suppose we'll find out soon. Onward with re-reinstallation...
Alright, server's back up!
I'm fairly certain that the aforementioned slowness is actually being caused by an old video card I'm using. I decided to take the old gaming graphics card I had in there (I believe it was a GeForce GTX 285) and put in a reeeaaally old card that I got from a co-worker. My intention was to use less power since it's a server computer and wouldn't really need graphics memory! Well... I'm thinking that Windows 7 doesn't really like that. I should have detected it when I was having some visual lagginess when I was using Ubuntu, but I didn't think of the card at the time. I'll probably be ordering a cheap card on NewEgg and install it when it arrives, just so I don't run into the horrid lagginess when I'm trying to do stuff that requires graphic memory (which is... a lot. Especially if I want to do something like opening a few program windows that look somewhat nice).

Add: I would just put the previous card in, but I've given it to my cousin. Bleh!
(05-28-2012, 11:01 AM)Kretol Wrote: [ -> ]Add: I would just put the previous card in, but I've given it to my cousin. Bleh!

Hand-me-down upgrades, I love them!