Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Lyraena's Riveting Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player. (This can be anything. We like to get a feel for those that will be integrating themselves into our community.)

I am a senior creative writing major at a forgettable liberal arts university. For three years I thrived as an invertebrate ecologist, but one day I gave roleplaying a shot. It only took me a month to switch my major to English, much to the dismay of my mother.

My countenance is one of dignified ambivalence. I’ve often been accused of being kind, perhaps even charming. I have a strict personal code about protecting IRL information, however if this is a problem that will prevent acceptance, I may be able to acquiesce, depending on the audience.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?

I am American by birth and culture and Korean by blood. My first language is English, and as I am an English major, I would like to think that my command over it is extensive enough. I got an A recently in Advanced Grammar; that has to count for something, right?

How did you get into Warcraft?

Rudely, with flailing reluctance. My father was a fan of the earlier games, specifically Warcraft II. Back then, when I played Warcraft II, if you’d have told me there was lore involved, I would have given you a blank expression and dopily asked, “Wuzzat?”

A couple of years ago, a friend convinced me to give roleplay a try since he fancied me the creative type. At first I was irreverent, seeing roleplayers as weird bottom feeders among the already-nerdy masses, however now I’ve been properly assimilated. My first experience with World of Warcraft was a life-changing one, leading to a drastic career change.

How did you find us? Did anything in particular draw you to the server?

I don’t approve of most of the roleplay left on Moonguard and Wyrmrest Accord, not that it’s particularly bad. It’s just not particularly my style, for the most part. Ten friends and I intended to begin a small, private campaign on another server, however it was shut down after a mere twelve days of our arrival. After the transfer, I was the only stalwart, roleplay-hungry one left. I heard of Conquest of the Horde from another roleplaying friend and thought it might be the perfect fix for me.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?

My personal feelings toward roleplay border on the reverent. In the way that story telling moved from the spoken word to writing, plays, large theatre productions and multi-million-dollar movies, I believe the next forum for literature is something akin to roleplay: collaborative literature.

As such, I enjoy the elaborate, dark, and personal. It will come as no surprise that my favorite fantasy series comprise Game of Thrones and The Abhorsen Trilogy. I enjoy long-term, dark, mature roleplay with a dash of political intrigue.

As far as the numbers aspect, on Moonguard I enjoyed throwing large galas and ceremonies, however I also thrived in one-on-one situations.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?

My favorite race is human. I know, boring vanilla answer; I’m such a hipster.
Humans are versatile in any fantasy, and they’re one of the few races that don’t suffer from oppressive expectations. Allow me to explain.

For example, most times, for someone to play a non-stock dwarf, that person takes on the same traits. Because there is the expectation that dwarves must be stoic, hard and stalwart seneschals of the mountains, most people ironically succumb to the same stock non-Dwarf. It is difficult to pinpoint what it is that makes a dwarf a dwarf, because we’re humans and our experience is limited to our own understanding of our race.

Humans, however, can experience a wide range of emotions, personalities and motives and still be identifiably human. I find that the more people try to portray something non-stock or unique with dwarves, elves, gnomes, etc., the more they swing towards something more human.

(Random interrupting note: I’m so sorry for the wall of text. I understand if you’re feelings are somewhere around the TL;DR spectrum. Now, back to business.)

As far as my favorite class, it’s undeniably mage. Their kits are so versatile for roleplay, whether you’re looking for small tricks or grand gestures. Mages also have a culture and history tormented with strife, and they’re educated. :)

What are your expectations of this server?

The best expectation I have is a concentrated roleplaying community that is not ashamed. Too often I see good roleplayers afraid to shine because they’re bandied about as jesters and made to feel humiliated of this passion. A community of dedicated roleplayers sounds like an Eden.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:

What appealed to me most wasn’t really a rule but an expectation. The roleplaying section suggests an expectation for quality roleplay. While I haven’t been on the server yet, I must admit I’m wary of how strict the requirements seem to be and the potential for an extremely elitist community, however if I’m blessed with acceptance, I look forward to the challenge.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!

I will post it in a spoiler, because as all my answers were, it’s a block of text. This is not the character I intend to roleplay, however, he used to be one of my favorites. I suppose I should warn that this bit of writing is suggestive, though not graphic.

Spoiler:
Fadrian lifted a leg and pulled dark leather straps through the metal ringlets on his boots. A cigarette dangled uselessly from his lips as a lazy trail of smoke retreated from the dimly lit end. Behind him stood a shapely woman whose dark hair poured delicately over her wan shoulders. One fragile ringlet snaked around her neck and fell gently over her clavicle. He looked over a shoulder with pursed lips and noticed the way her hair sat there, the way it drew attention to her - With a gulp he turned his attention back to his boots and enjoyed a small smile. Hell, everything about her drew attention to her everything, and she knew it. She’d seen him look back and so she stepped forward, wrapping her ermine arms around him. His nostrils flared at the scent of lime and rosewood, and with an accent thick as honey she teased, “Well?”

Fadrian then stood straight and rolled a shoulder forward to shed himself of her, stepping back and placing his now meticulously fastened boot on the ground. “I think they call this taboo, asking after my story.” He’d finally gathered the courage to turn and face the woman, and he’d instantly regretted it. She stood there confidently before the window and the soft glow of the fireplace cast an eerie silhouette on her, white halo providing a soft outline for her body. “Nothing much to tell. I was a man of faith once and that about sums me up.” The end of the cigarette blazed weakly as he drew in a generous breath, filling his lungs with its relaxing smoke. She trailed her fingertips down his chest and murmured, “So how did we end up here like this?” Every artful word the woman sighed was done through porcelain pursed lips, as though for her to speak was to kiss the very air around her. She had trapped him just out of reach of his shirt, so he simply shrugged and brought his hand up to hold the cigarette in place, taking another drag as he rested his chin on her soft hair and said softly, “I wasn’t always like this, but I’m like this now. Who really cares about the rest?” There was the sound of metal hitting wood, and he saw silver glint atop the dresser. “I care,” she grinned.

Fadrian matched the woman’s grin and plucked the cigarette from his lips, unceremoniously putting out the cinders on the dresser next to the coin. “There was a woman, a pretty young delicate thing with big innocent eyes, who came us for help. Months we spent with this woman, and she never told us why she came to us. Broken, bloodied, bruised eyes. We could all guess.” His eyebrow rose as he watched the woman tremble sensuously, shiver running from her eyes to her feet, rippling softly through her gossamer skin. “Then one day her husband came to us.” Fadrian averted his eyes and half turned as tendrils of smoke escaped from his lungs. “Turns out, she was hurting the kids or something, so he used to hit her. She’d killed them. He’d killed her. He was there to kill us, but it never worked out for him. After that, you know, you sort of wonder why we bother.” The woman drew in a sympathetic gasp but he barely noticed, “Then, simple as that, I couldn’t stay there anymore. I had other reasons, but most of all I guess I stopped caring.”

She had drawn seductively close and placed a hand on his arm. Fadrian leaned over and kissed her sweetly on the cheek, “So you’ve got what you paid for. If there’s nothing else, I’ll be going.” He raised an eyebrow suggestively and she giggled, shaking her curls of obsidian hair gently, “No, I think I am done for the night.” She placed another silver on the table, “Was the story true this time?” With his back turned, she couldn’t see the darkness in his eyes, his fixation on the exit. He swung his shirt over his back and placed each arm through the sleeves, merely shrugging his response and waving over his shoulder after sliding the silvers from the dresser.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?

I suppose eventually, if I’m allowed in, I would like to ask some questions about finer points in lore. I have a character concept in mind I would love to roleplay, however I don’t want to make a fool of myself with my uncertainties.

I also read over the rules and came across this line.

Code:
This includes claiming titles for your character that you have not earned through roleplay on this server. As one example, do not make a character claiming to be the leader or high-ranking officer of an established organization.

Does this prohibit minor nobility or anyone claiming to be of quality? When I left Moonguard, court roleplay was opular, especially since Game of Thrones has seized many a roleplayer’s imagination.

Thank you for considering my incredibly long application.

Hello and welcome to COTH!

If you haven’t already, please do make sure to double-check the rules and policies so you’re for sure familiar to the server’s expectations!
As for making your first character, there are a lot of helpful articles and guides for you to read up on in case you don’t fully understand the lore. The wiki also contains helpful tips for making a character and for when you’re writing your first profile, such as weight and height.

When you get your account created, make sure to /join Chat and /join Barrens for if you have any questions not answered in the forums. If I’m online feel free to whisper me or send me a PM.

To answer your question about nobility: Characters that have influence over others and excessive wealth are considered special profiles, which cannot be made until you become a grunt after a month of activity. Once you hit the grunt status, you are free to submit a special profile and go from there once the character is approved!

Also to address another concern of yours about possible elitist fears: If you feel that anyone is being overly rude to you in such a way, do not hesitate to screenshot and report said person to a GM. While we do have our standards, we do -not- tolerate anyone being rude to another about them.
Another assimilated vet of Moon Guard! Welcome to CotH!
Thank you Reigen. Your words bring me comfort.

And wonderful, Zenethen, to know that there are refugees like myself. ;) I look forward to seeing you in game.
Indeed! You can find me on... Well... A lot of people... You can start with Rickson, Mirran, Dalikan, or Xaiden... Those are my most-played, I think xD