Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Rigley Rambles on: Solidarity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, friends.

Right. So. Solidarity.

I like Solidarity. At least, I like the idea; the concept of a political or revolutionary RP is something that I've always found to be an interesting kind of dynamic. It's an idea that had been kicking about in my mind for about a year prior; partially influenced by when I first saw the Commoner's Party, as well as a few other sources from games and the like (I think Skyrim actually rejuvenated my interest in that sort of thing).

With my forward of praise out of the way, allow me to throw out some points here.

1) The server seems more suited for 'episodic' events.
In general the server population seems to favor events which start and end in one setting. Not storylines, mind you, but events-- ones which aren't ongoing and expect to keep attention to them for a certain span. People seem to favor going to events then leaving; heading elsewhere for their RP, or getting on other characters. Because of this an event line like Solidarity falls flat.

I've mentioned in the past that events such as The Island would also suffer from this-- thus why I've made note in the last few weeks that I likely would not run that event. The real concept behind both of these events is that they're less a complete experience and more of a framework; a bare bones kinda plot which is meant to give people something to work off. I had attempted this in the past with the Battle of Stonetalon to a minor degree, and the Hearthglen storyline to a greater success with mission boards-- but even they began to dwindle off as time passed, and really there was more emphasis behind the hub created than the events themselves most of the time.

Point being, Solidarity's set up isn't one in which you're meant to get everything intended from an event. The idea was more within how people would interact with one another over the conflict; the Royalists were largely supposed to be player influenced until the halfway point as stated prior, for instance.

To my current observation though I haven't seen Solidarity actually spurring any of the intended RP. Without the more casual meetings between players the event line is just going to seem a bit fast-- one day conquering one plot of land, then the next, etc. It seems like the event line is just falling flat in that respect.

2) Solidarity is focusing on the wrong faction and race.
I get the feeling while doing Solidarity that the event line as a whole is just focusing on the wrong things. Two wrong things, even;

Stormwind-- while the bastion of humanity in the Eastern Kingdoms and all of that, I've encountered pretty swiftly that there isn't exactly the greatest of interest in it. This has varied reasons-- the king being one, the nobility another, the common occurrence of non-Stormwind humans, and the Alliance in general.

I guess most people tend to steer towards neutral-- which does kinda disinclude them from the same kind of interest a patriot would have during this sort of eventline. It also might have something to do with the preference of neutral characters-- thus, people might not be interested in an aggressor nation to the Horde.

The other problem is humans, in general-- it seems like there is much more interest in elven politics when things come down to that sort of matter. With humans there seems to be a higher preference, again, to the use of neutral characters rather than one actually tied to his race, if that makes sense. I suppose it would have worked better to orchestrate a belf event, or even one for the old horde races in some respects. Lots of people just find humans boring; thus I suppose an event wholly concerning them would get the same kind of idea.

(Perhaps it should be telling that one of the most readily involved characters thus far is a Draenei.)

3) Solidarity's ending is already apparent.
I suppose this is one of them I personally may only be drawing a conclusion towards, but part of me feels that there would be some lack of interest if only because the event has a slated ending-- people don't know -how- that ending is going to come about, but it's been stated before that the changes brought about by the event chain are going to be temporary-- if it was not already stated then odds are you could have easily guessed either way, especially with lore-important points such as Moonbrook being overtaken.

So yeah. I guess it's a predictable ending-- and part of me is thinking that because people know that the work is going to be undone it seems more like a futile experience, or one that will put them on the 'losing side' to participate in.

Idunno. Again, this is only my guess on this specific notion.

4) Solidarity is a companion event to an event that never was.
Solidarity was meant to run alongside the Defias Brotherhood event line. The idea was to spark a lot of interest in the area, and generate a bit of a dynamic between the two. Unfortunately, nothing ever came of the Defias event-- perhaps that should have been a warning to me.

I guess its also notable that Solidarity -wasn't- the leading event on my poll. Heck, it had three votes while two others had fifteen and sixteen. It had the least interest out of all the events polled for, and I went on with it anyway. I guess it was just too tempting to try and double up an event line, and it seemed like the two would play off one another really well. I can't really say if they would have or not, but I suppose in the end I should have trusted the numbers better.

---------------------------------

...So yeah.

I'm not sure what to do here, is why I've brought this all up. I like Solidarity. I still love the concept, and I wish it could work as I had intended. But as is this seems to be an event line that is slowly grinding itself down, and at a much more rapid pace than the others I've run. It's funny to note I suppose that I've only once ran a whole storyline that I plotted out-- Hearthglen. Battlefield: Khaz Modan and Battlefield: Stonetalon had whole second acts that were meant to take place-- Stonetalon was to involve all of the races in their own representations and highlights in the battle, even. It was meant to stretch out into the Barrens, as well. Khaz Modan had a whole unused enemy general, as well as an untouched run of events in the Wetlands where the whole 'battlefield' thing would seem much more apparent.

I don't know what to do, but part of me feels the solution is to truncate Solidarity as I did these two. How though I'm not sure.

/ramble.
I loved and still love Solidarity :(

But then again, Solidarity is the exact sort of event chain that only I like. Like you said, people aren't invested in long-winded storyline, they like pop-n-drop episodes RPs :\ I seem to be the ONLY one who likes these sorts of events on CotH.

As for using my draenei and not my human, I was hoping to branch influence out to Alliance races and still be justified for it. That, and Cristovao was/is preoccupied with House Whiteshore. I hoped to get him involve too, but yeah.

As for the foregone conclusion of an ending, I'll admit even though I know HOW Solidarity will end, I was very interested in the road it'll go to get there. Will the leaders be killed and be replaced by fanatics? Will they finally reach their breaking point because of an Alliance betrayal? THIS EXCITED ME.

I still think Solidarity can work, but you might have to retool a few things.

1: Make the RPs more episodic. Personally, I thought this was already the way it was going, with the Westfall events have 1 minor event (the farms), then one big event (Moonbrook). This "two-parter" system I enjoyed, as it built up a big movement in the zone.

2: Run the Royalist and Solidarity main events side-by-side rather than force people to wait for one or the other. I know Matthew wants in on the Royalist side.

3: Convert "open" side RPs into player-assigned side RPs. Like gather up a collection of people you know who want to run them, and assign them accordingly, rather than leaving them up for grabs.

Just my two cents. I'd hate for it to die like this :\
(05-26-2012, 07:24 PM)CappnRob Wrote: [ -> ]1: Make the RPs more episodic. Personally, I thought this was already the way it was going, with the Westfall events have 1 minor event (the farms), then one big event (Moonbrook). This "two-parter" system I enjoyed, as it built up a big movement in the zone.

I think I may take this to heart and just run these events as such; in that vein of thought I believe I'll be streamlining things up some more.

(05-26-2012, 07:24 PM)CappnRob Wrote: [ -> ]2: Run the Royalist and Solidarity main events side-by-side rather than force people to wait for one or the other. I know Matthew wants in on the Royalist side.

Not really possible, unfortunately. The point was that until a certain point the Royalists couldn't really act as a whole united force-- They basically don't have the reason to. It's more of the two sides clashing ICly against one another outside of events-- debating in bars and getting into scuffles, all of that sort of thing, yah?

(05-26-2012, 07:24 PM)CappnRob Wrote: [ -> ]3: Convert "open" side RPs into player-assigned side RPs. Like gather up a collection of people you know who want to run them, and assign them accordingly, rather than leaving them up for grabs.

I may just be tossing these in favor of streamlining things, to be honest.

I don't really want to just drop things as they are. So I may see how Duskwood's events go.
Maybe do a flip-flop way of things? Solidarity episodes, then Royalist episodes, back and forth? The Royalists don't have reason to attack Solidarity outright, but they do have reason to be suspicious.
Suspicious, yes, but that doesn't really stand to create the same kind of events Solidarity would be doing. The Royalists are kinda underplayed until the latter bit of the event, basically, and that's kinda on purpose for other reasons.
I feel bad, Rigley. :c
I think solidarity, while a wonderful idea, is just a bit too aggressive of an event. It's one that relies heavily on a certain type of input as well as a multitude of other factors to work, all of which you've laid out, and accompanied with the dwindling lack of interest... it sort of fell apart. That stinks that it did, and even though I didn't take part in it I can certainly say it wasn't because of lack of thought or effort...

It was just an amalgam of things that led to this event's fall.

Sadly, I don't think CoTH is ready for this sort of thing. At this current time and phase, there are certain races that get the most love for RP, and during this time and flow... it wasn't humans. I'm not even sure if people are interested in the alliance at all, at the moment, as it seems the most barren areas of RP are in the Alliance.

All in all, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head... now was just not the time for this. The event was too wide-spread, had a defined outcome, and there's generally not an interest in this sort of thing. CoTH has always favored the idea of "sectioned" RP, that's less linear and more... soap-ish. Not in the dramatic way, but as you put it, the episodal way, where you go from one event, to the next, creating a storyline pattern that relies on shock and or awe along with other surprises to keep people captivated.

Maybe, sometime in the future, people will be more accepting of events that are a fairly bit more scripted? It's hard to say, because from what I've seen... people would always rather take things a course they feel they've molded rather than ones that have been molded for them. It's sort of putting GM's at a disadvantage I've noticed too, because right now you're trying to steer away from personal "fanon" or having a server that doesn't follow official lore... and all signs point to that official standpoint being contradictory to what people want to play.

I'm tired, don't know if I'm making sense, but hopefully what I post will give you guys something to chew the fat over and maybe have some heavy thinks over. All in all, this to me seems to be an indication for what the players want vs. what's intended for the server's future, but on a smaller and less maddening scale.

Or I'm just rambling and sounding like a fool. Heh. I know I'm tired for certain.
Aye, Rensin. As I said, I suppose it would have done better simply to follow the numbers on the poll-- Granted, how successful one of them would of been is suspect, since it follows the same sort of scheme as Solidarity in terms of requiring player involvement.

Hrm.

All of that being said, I'm continuing on with this event. I kinda wish it was working a bit more, what with being my last hoo-rah event wise for some time*. I guess that's why I want to see the whole thing through.

/shrug.

More on that on a later date.