Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: The Marvellous and Magical Introduction of Rainbows.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:
I’ll start my introducing myself. I’m Jacq, born and raised in Australia, avid gamer and less than subtle nerd - This is my story. When I got World of Warcraft I quickly noticed my playing style was different from others. I’d stroll around in walk and not kill bunnies and dress my character in casual wear and had proper grammar, much to annoyance of others “wh0 spok lyk this n had a mor hak n slash apprch 2 wow” . I played on a PvE server and didn't know what roleplay was at the time, but always got together with an in-game friend of mine and played 'games'. That's what we called it when we roleplayed. We'd play detectives in Ironforge, a family in Darkshore, wizards in Goldshire - it was good fun. But my in-game roleplay friend sadly disappeared and I never heard from her again.

As the expansions came out I bought them and enjoyed playing Draeni and Blood Elf and after that Death Knights. An interesting effect that I have discovered over my years of playing is something I call my 'WoW-Clock'. Over this time of all the expansions and game time I lost interest at intervals and (much to my mother's joy) stopped playing. The intervals were short at first and I would have to do a whole lot of convincing for my mother to let me back on but that's just how it went. I lost interest and stopped then something would remind me of the game and I would begin to think about it again - usually this was new expansion packs or YouTube videos. But, that's just something I am conscious of now.

And finally, I was introduced to roleplay servers! I joined Moon Guard and after being quickly steered away from the shocking state of Goldshire *shivers* I was introduced to all the wondrous possibilities of roleplay, where everyone played like me. In roleplay - I was generally someone who was either able to be involved in the action, cause it or stumble across it. I always enjoy classes that can cause trouble or classes that could be involved and helpful in the trouble that was going on.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:
I’m born and raised in Australia and speak English with a little bit of Parseltongue... yeah, I'm also a huge Harry Potter fan. :D

How did you get into Warcraft?:
I was about nine or ten I think, maybe older but generally around that time. My best mate and I enjoyed gaming very much, of course being so young we didn't recognise it as gaming - we simply came home and decided to play Ratchet & Clank on the PlayStation. As our knowledge of games evolved we found Guild Wars, that was when my PC gaming experience really started. My mate always got the games first, so I would watch him play Guild Wars and he'd let me have a go etc. But on the day that I -finally- got Guild Wars, I called him up to tell him the news only to be informed that he had just bought and installed World of Warcraft.

I played on his account basically and it was safe to say I was very much a 'n00b'. But I eventually bought it myself and I played and as I wrote in the above, discovered by playing style.

How did you find us? Did anything in particular draw you to the server?:
Maybe a year ago, I think. My ‘WoW-Clock’ had gone off and I was doing my ritual of looking for private servers. Normally I would just go on an insta-80 fun server and cast super awesome spells everywhere and fly around for a while until I cooled down. But I searched in roleplaying servers and immediately found you guys. I admit I had lost interest by that time, unfortunately and I didn’t pay it a second thought. But this year when my ‘WoW-Clock’ went toff, I remembered you guys and spent days reading all the information in the wiki, guides and guild descriptions.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
I will sit down in taverns and roleplay, but I’m really more of a drama-seeker. I like to cause the in-game conflict or be involved in it, basically I usually like it more when there’s some action involved. But sitting and fishing with a friend or sipping down mead at the Pig & Whistle suites me almost just as well if it's leading somewhere.

What is your favourite race/class? Why?:
Before recently I always played Night Elf Druids. I loved the skin, the hair, the ears and shape shifting side of it all – magic. But I stretched out and become more adept in my knowledge of the races and grew a particular fondness for the dwarves. Their rich back story, their strong accents, diversity and racial aspects made them one of my favourites. But in any character I enjoy the Rogue class as well, the subtlety and the sneaking, sapping and pick pocketing made them my favourite but mainly because they could be the ones to start the action.

What are your expectations of this server?:
Your wiki and guides and forum display much promise and say a lot about the committed role players that must be in this server. Everything looks much thought out and I love how the information is stored and available, from what I can see in the forums you’re all nice people so I think I can say that I have modestly high expectations of this server.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
This was a difficult one, after reading them all over more than once - Humility and Maturity appealed to me very much but I'd have to say Respect is the best one. Mainly because it's an important thing to me in real life but also as it's always nice to be respected and I feel it really helps everyone fit in with each other.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
I was going to put the story I created for a creative writing extension program at school, but it's quite long (6 pages) and I'm afraid I have no idea how to use a 'spoiler' thing so I'll summerise then put the final passage in.

Basically, this story is set in a town called Bane in a realm of forgotten time called The Valley. A drunken, unpleasant man called Shaddock Clap is killed by lightning and his three brothers blame Death for the accident. They all set out to find Death and deal their revenge and they are told that south of town at an old oak tree is where they can find Death (obviously I use much more impressive description, plot and dialogue). They all go there and find a giant shimmering pile of gold coins. The youngest of the brothers is instructed to run back to town and fetch the essentials. Food, water, sacks and grog. He runs back to town and as he is getting the sacks he is take over by human material desire, dancing like a puppet, pulled by his own greedy emotions; so he hatches his own plan. Back at the tree the same has happened to his brothers, with a rusted dagger at each others throats they argue and hatch a plan themselves that only intends for the gold being halved. The youngest returns to the tree with the essentials and he is killed by his brothers. So clearly they have completely forgotten about their brother Shaddock and only think greedily of themselves. They then sit around at the back of the tree, lying around in the gold. They both sleep with one eye open, not even sleeping really, both remaining brothers were not prepared to lose what they had fought for. Here is the final paragraph.

But they would not need to fight any longer. With a macabre jerk and struggle, both brothers writhed around in the gold that had before held so much promise. Having consumed Emeric’s (the youngest brother) poisoned bread and wine, both were doomed. But the clinking of coin and the muffled cries soon ceased. And the area of the oak tree was silent. Only the night spoke in low whispers, the leaves blew slightly in the soft wind, light glistened on the water from the shining full moon, the scuttling sounds of night creatures were the only things to be seen and heard. For the brothers three would never see the sun rise over the valley again, their last acts had been immoral ; greed and jealousy had killed the Clap brothers three. But at least, in the end:

The three brothers found Death.

Howdy, Jack, I'm Caravan and I'd like to welcome you to Conquest of the Horde! Thank you for sharing your story! It's reminiscent of some of the stories I used to read as a child and though I appreciate your restraint in not posting the six-page story, I am intrigued by it as a whole! I particularly liked "Only the night spoke in low whispers...".

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to PM me here on the forums. You can also usually catch me lurking in-game on Cara or Xanthe. But, really, you can ask anyone else on the server (particularly our fantastic GM and Forum Helper staff) as we're all usually free and willing to help!

I suggest taking a gander at our rules, policiesand these "swelltastic" guides as a way to get a feel for our server.

:) Again, welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay~!