Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Mentor Program?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a random thought I had. Why not during the application process to join the server, they have an option to select if they want to have another character show them the ropes of the server for a day.

If they select yes, they get a PM from a staff member telling them how to contact a GM in game. The GM in game would then get in contact with pre-selected mentor to show them the ropes.
I rather like this idea. :)
Heh, funny you should bring this up!

Just yesterday I took two new members around on an informal tour. It was a great time and I was suitably impressed with their politeness and interest.

I think this is a great idea to suggest.
This sounds awesome and would be a great way to get people involved and possibly meet people who they want to RP with. I like it!
If the option is just for GMs, or FHs, sure.
I like the idea. :)
Seems like a good idea, altough needs to be worked at and we need more than one mentor.
(06-21-2012, 02:46 PM)c0rzilla Wrote: [ -> ]If the option is just for GMs, or FHs, sure.

BUT WHAT ABOUT US GRUNTS? :(
(06-21-2012, 02:46 PM)c0rzilla Wrote: [ -> ]If the option is just for GMs, or FHs, sure.

I'd say it should be open to more then just GMs or FHs simply because what happens when there's many new people, but only two mentors? Including those who would like to help doesn't seem like it would be that much of a problem.
After some thoughts, I've honestly changed my mind about this. People are helping anyway already, so. . . It'd seem unnecessary.
I don't see why this 'mentor program' needs to be formalised. The system we have in place right now (i.e. none at all, people helping newbies as and if they feel like it) works perfectly well, and I think assigning new players what's explicitly termed a 'mentor' is awfully patronising.

If it isn't broke and all that. Sorry, guys, but I'm just not feeling the idea of a program.
What Sol is saying makes sense. Joining yesterday, I was overwhelmed by the amount of people that were welcoming me and asking me if I needed help, even offering themselves as people to come to should I need anything. The server community is clearly already filled with people willing to drop everything to help; it would seem an unnecessary formality to assign a specific 'mentor' figure.
I agree with both c0r and Sol on this one. If it's done, I feel it should be just the greens and purples. Hell, there's 24 (number check?) of us combined, so I don't forsee a shortage. But I also think formalizing it might be a bit much.

/2cents.
I reckon it doesn't really need to be changed, it seems that new peons find their way on their own and people on the server are already helpful enough, usually if someone has a question they'll ask it in chat or the OOC area and usually quite a lot of people actually respond. We also have the articles and guides section for this reason as well.

Adding a mentor system just seems to be irrelevant in my opinion, I mean peons seem to be just fine without it and if there's no problem then there's no reason to add extra measures.