Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Some different variations:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'll keep it simple:

Runecasters exist in several forms.
Inscribers are runecasters. They come in the forms of Dark Inscribers, aswell.

Are there dark -runemasters-?

Another question:
Inscribers use runes to cast spells. Technomages use magic to manipulate their machines. What if one was to use runes on technology? A Techno-Inscriber.
Quote:Inscribers use runes to cast spells. Technomages use magic to manipulate their machines. What if one was to use runes on technology? A Techno-Inscriber.

I see no reason for this to not work, in theory, but I have a hard time believing that more than a handful of runes would be practical in this regard. Typically runemasters augment themselves with the use of runes, but the question is in the mechanics:

Do they increase endurance with the rune by improving how much oxygen is in their blood? Do they increase strength by augmenting their muscles? Obviously these runes wouldn't carry over to any sort of tech, except maybe improving a combustion engine.

Although I'm sure you could do something similar to a runeblade and augment a tank or gun. Although anything that isn't completely basic would probably require a fair bit of research with a character to get specialized runes.
Quote:Inscribers use runes to cast spells. Technomages use magic to manipulate their machines. What if one was to use runes on technology? A Techno-Inscriber.

Personally I see this as pointless. It's like going through two hoops to cast a spell, and you don't get corrupted if you use technology as a conduit anyway, so there isn't really a major benefit I can see.

Quote:Are there dark -runemasters-?
Personally I'd say yes, but there isn't any record of them. Just as a Runemaster might use fire, why can't they use shadow?
Well, the runemaster rarely uses spells per-say. But the imbuing of their strength via fel energies rather than ley lines, was what I was getting at.
I always thought a runemaster by definition utilises tattoos with ley patterns on them to tap the power of said ley lines. I'm not sure if this power couldn't manifest in the forms of darker magic, maybe, but their whole schtick is ley power. /shrug
It doesn't work from Fel, Sundae, because Fel doesn't have Ley-lines. It's raw unmonitored Arcane. And highly dangerous. Perhaps the use of it for evil and dark uses, yes. Maybe even Warlock-esque runes or something the like. But not Fel.
(06-23-2012, 08:41 AM)Psycho Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't work from Fel, Sundae, because Fel doesn't have Ley-lines. It's raw unmonitored Arcane. And highly dangerous. Perhaps the use of it for evil and dark uses, yes. Maybe even Warlock-esque runes or something the like. But not Fel.

This, basically. Although the prospect of someone getting Eredun runes inked onto them INTRIGUES me, fel has no ley patterns because, as raw arcane, it's pulled straight out of the Twisting Nether. The stuff runemasters tap is the cleaner, uncorruptive form of arcane that the Titans imbued into Azeroth through the Well of Eternity that permates the ley lines.
Then how exactly does Dark Inscriber work?
The inscriber and the runemaster don't utilise the same runes, or at least as far as I understand it. Runemasters have a set of abilities unto themselves through their runes - inscribers simply use a runic method of processing traditional spells to cast regular arcane magic, using runic patterns as a proxy. Dark inscribers work the same way inscribers do, so in this case, yes, if they're using fel magic, their runes probably do tap the Twisting Nether. Runemasters exclusively harness ley lines, however.
A Dark Inscriber, almost by definition, can be categorized as a 'Dark Runemaster'. It specifically states in the RPG books that many of the runes that they can create to utilize as spells, they place on their own bodies for ease of use; And if not their own, the bodies of others, for necrotic purposes.
If someone tattooed themselves with Eredun runes I could see two things happening.

One, they go insane from being exposed to the language as people generally do.

Two, they get lynched for consorting with the Burning Legion and being a threat to Azeroth.

Both are very likely.
Quote:One, they go insane from being exposed to the language as people generally do.

Very probable.

Quote:Two, they get lynched for consorting with the Burning Legion and being a threat to Azeroth.

Only if they trundled around a major settlement.