Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Illusions and senses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In a previous open office(which happened last year in summer or before) I was told by the GMs that illusions can mess with all the senses of a regular mortal. Yesterday, in an open office with another GM(whose name may have been Arget, I completely forgot) I was told that since there is no solid proof of illusions working on anything else than vision, then it won't work.
She said that there's Mirror Image, but that's only for very skilled illusionists.
I would've stopped and agreed with her there, but it's completely different from creating simple sounds like talking.
The Schools of Arcane Magic - Illusion is a book that sorta gives a hint about what illusions can do.

The Schools of Arcane Magic - Illusion Wrote:(page 1)
<Penned by the skilled hand of Archmage Ansirem Runeweaver>
(page 2)
Illusion is the art of deceiving reality itself. The mist of illusion can make a mage invisible or inaudible to the world or twist the image of a location into something entirely different. Illusion can be used for disguise for manipulation. Illusions exist in the divination school. It is not viable to base your entire career on illusionary magic.
(page 3)
Contrary to popular belief, illusions are far more than mere parlor tricks. The sell of invisibility is among the most integral in a battle mage's repertoire. As you will often find yourself in dangerous situations and in need of a quick method for a strategic retreat. Illusions can also be used to deceive your opponents into thinking that you are elsewhere, or even trick your enemies into fighting each other. This is no easy task, but the accomplished illusionist can turn allies into enemies - and his or her own enemies into allies.
(page 4)
The former archmage Jandace Barov - may her soul rest in peace - was an excellent example of a talented illusionist. In life, she developed a spell that displayed several images of her body that were nearly indistinguishable form her real form. These images duplicated her actions from different locations, making it nearly impossible for her enemies to find her. It was almost infallible. Which brings me to another lesson - almost is simply not good enough.

I don't think it's a far stretch to say illusions can cover voices as well. Otherwise every NPC in wow is pretty dense not to notice that that you sound JUST like the blood elf who was there moments prior. I'm pretty sure there are a few quests in which deal with an illusion being placed on your character to allow them to interact with enemies. I'm also sure if your voice wasn't changed with it, you'd be found out real fast.

EDIT: Huh, maybe it does say something about sound.

Quote:Illusion is the art of deceiving reality itself. The mist of illusion can make a mage invisible or inaudible to the world or twist the image of a location into something entirely different.
The way I have handled illusions throughout my two and a half years here is:

-They can be visual, up to the point of being indistinguishable from reality with the naked eye.

-They can be tactile, the visual images carrying a tiny Mana Shield along their form, mimicking surfaces. However, it's so faint that punching an illusion or cutting into it dispels it completely, going right through. A fake bunny can be petted and can nibble gently on your fingers, etc.

-They can bear temperature, a Mirror Image's touch, for instance, being able to be warm, like a normal person's. If our illusionist also happens to know Frost Magic, an illusory Water Elemental will be cold.

-They can be auditory, a Mirror Image can talk, an illusory dog can bark, etc. etc. Or you can just create a distracting illusory bang or scream or other sound to draw attention elsewhere.

-They can be used as foci for more spells. So, Mirror Images can fire spells independent of the caster(Like in-game), and Illusions can be self-perpetuating, like your cute illusory girlfriend actually making it seem like she's drinking tea(Now I expect someone to make a forever alone arcanist that dates an illusion they made).

We've got a few illusionists on CoTH...
(06-25-2012, 12:02 AM)flammos200 Wrote: [ -> ](Now I expect someone to make a forever alone arcanist that dates an illusion they made).

I think I'm going to go do this.

But yes, the above posts are correct. Also I believe there are differences between illusions that only effect one person and illusions that are 'physically manifested'; everybody in the vicinity is affected.
(06-25-2012, 12:15 AM)mimloopen Wrote: [ -> ]But yes, the above posts are correct. Also I believe there are differences between illusions that only effect one person and illusions that are 'physically manifested'; everybody in the vicinity is affected.

I consider all illusions to be visible/audible/touchable/etc to anyone.

Only mind-magic can make things happen/seem for only a single person, from what I know. And only Priests are allowed to meddle with minds.
Flammie's correct there. Illusions are phenomena in the physical world, not the subconscious one. Also, and I am not certain of this, I heard that illusions tend to crash when they are figured out, so to speak. That they stop existing when the target comes to the conclusion that they're messing with illusions. That doesn't make much sense, but ah well.

And for as long as I've been using my illusions, I've used them as tricks. Exampli gratia: It'd be much easier to conjure an illusory wall than a real one, correct? Say somebody's chasing you, and you just summon the forementioned illusion of a wall. They'll stop chasing you, or try to find a way around, and your mana pool will be just fine.