Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Stunt modifiers concept
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After spending over 3 years playing "White Wolf" games (Exalted & Scion) this thought came to me, and through simple modification on the "White Wolf" rules, i think this concept may work. The Idea is simple, add stunt modifiers to RP events that involve combat.

Don't know what that means? Let me break it down for you.

The stunt system is a modifier based system that rewards players for putting extra thought into there emoted attacks. The stunt modifier is broken into four types of emotes; basic, advanced, heroic, and epic. Stunt rewards would be determined by the player running the RP event (Referred to in this forum from here on as the Story Teller or ST). The stunt system, by it's nature, is subject to the ST interpretation, and since every ST is different what modifier you get may vary from event to event.

It is important to note that a stunt modifier should not push an attack into a critical. Also repeating the same emoted attack multiple times should not continue to receive a stunt modifier. Kicking off the wall to gain extra force for an attack was great the first time, not the next ten...

Basic:
A basic stunt are emoted attacks that have little though put into them. These stunts would yield a +0 modifier to his attack roll since the attack is very basic by nature.

i.e. "Little Timmy attempts to strikes the Troll with his sword."

This is a very basic attack and would yield a +0 modifier.

Advanced:
An advanced stunt are emoted attacks that add some detail, but is still basic by nature. These stunts would add a +10 to that attack since more thought was put into describing the attack.

i.e. "Little Timmy attempts to slash the Troll standing opposite of him across the chest."
Although this attack is more detailed then the previous, it is still rather basic by nature and would yield a +10 modifier.

Heroic:
A heroic stunt are emoted attacks that are well thought out, making even the most basic attack seem heroic by standard. These stuns would add a +15 to that attack since a lot of though was placed into describing the attack.

i.e. "Little Timmy pivots on his right foot spinning around to add force to his swing. As he comes around he attempts so strike the Troll across the chest, whether successful or not, as the blade moves past the strike He would bring his shield up to defend against any counter attack."
This attack is well thought out. It details how Little Timmy would conduct the attack in better then advanced detail, and also details what occurs post attack, whether successful or no. This stunt would yield a +15 modifier.

Epic:
Epic stunts are rare at best and are reserved for emoted attacks that surpass the detail of a Heroic stunt. Perhaps emotion was added, or a clever use of terrain, or it may be humorously effective. What ever the reason, an epic stunt would yield a +20 modifier to that attack.

I have no example for this because there can be multiple ways to achieve an Epic stunt, also it's 3am and i'm kinda tired Tongue .

In Closing:
I personally see this system as a way to encourage players to produce more interesting emoted attacks, and from personal experience, the more thought people put into describing attacks the more fun an event can be to partake in. Also anyone that has played "White Wolf" games could tell you that a well thought out stunts can go far in making your PC seem more heroic.

Note:
This idea is in concept and will need to be play tested before I can say for certain if it would work, but I would love to see people thoughts on the idea. Also I am not sure if this idea was talked about in the past, I'm sorry if it was.

I have to remind you, that stunt modifiers in the White Wolf games are usually used for high powered characters *Cough* Exalted *Cough*. In all technicallity, someone who isn't half a titan (Like an Exalted *Cough*) would probably make it only harder for himself to perform these actions. Also, while White Wolf designs their game mostly on theater and grand battles of so, some people here don't. They like modest realistic battles. And in all truth, roll modifiers have had a tendacy to spark up some unpleasant OOC matters... (Look as to why the Prestige system was erased.)

A great system, frankly. But I personally don't think it should be imbued here.
Although you are right that Exalted and Scion are games more made for cinematic style combats between demigods and gods, if you look at the actual rules for stunts you would see that it is literally just a reward based system for describing an attack. Also remember, in exalted heroic mortals can stunt as well.

"Stunts: The rules of Exalted reward players with additional
dice for describing their characters’ actions in an evocative
manner. The out-of-game rationale for a stunt bonus is that
well-described actions keep the game interesting for everyone
and help the Storyteller set the scene. In game, stunts represent
the capacity of epic heroes to be truly spectacular when they
take risks and act like heroes."

Exalted 2nd addition

Really people already describe an emoted attack. All I suggest is adding some type of reward for people who put that extra thought in there emote and a modified form of the stunt system made the most sense to me, sense the basis of the reward is already utilized in game. However, if a modifier system simply does not work in this game, that is something different entirely.
Though you ask us to grant the individual a roll bonus, which is one of many reasons why we dumped the prestige system (the last way someone could get roll bonuses): because of the bonuses.
Fair enough.
I love White Wolf soooo much. But the boon of tabletop games is that it's intended for your close buddies that roughly average to a small group of maybe five or six, excluding the DM. Sadly, when systems like the Stunt Modifiers are added or are attempted to be implemented on a larger scale (Over 20 people, let alone the active hundred or so ((or more?)) that play here), it tends to trickle downhill in a stream of complaints and misuse. While it may work great on Pen and Paper games, putting it into a wider scale over the internet where -no one- is guaranteed trust... well, then you're gonna have a problem.

As much as I'd like to get some bonuses on my roll-drinking-bouts because Rensin is Rensin, sadly I think we'll all have to be content with the "everyone is equal" /roll 100. 'Sides, it adds that 'x' factor that people love to ignore, where the exaggerated could happen, and a chicken could kick the crap out of Arthas...

Metaphorically speaking.

Damn I get weird when tired/waking up.
I can understand that this system would be abused if left in the hands of players in the regular world. I meant, however, that this system be used strictly in RP events where the groups are relativity small and all calls referring to stunts are determined by the one leading the event (the story teller).

I meant this for PC vs. NPC conflicts, not PC vs. PC conflicts.

However, I could see what you guys are saying and how it would create difficulties. I believe this could work out but I have only been on the server since last April.
In all honesty, no matter how you dress this up. It is bound to be abused in some way. There is some potential but from my point of view it feels like a semi-reincarnation of the Prestige system for bonuses on the skill of your writing. This would be an unfair advantage to those knowing the English language better to add more words and sentences than someone who doesn't.
Seconding what Jaella said.
Also, to add to that, what if we're just lazy? Yes, we've all had this where we just get lazy in RP. Don't lie. In events I find this happens more than all to me. I just write an emote, tab out and wait for my que to emote. Would it really be fair that other people do better than me just because I don't have all my attention focused on writing the best emote ever?

It's a nice concept, but I don't think it can work here.