Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Draenei aging.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Alright, I'm working on Jakova's character profile, but people keep giving me mixed answers regarding Draenei aging, and it's really getting frustrating. In-game chat didn't help. I need a reasonable age (preferably social equivalent of someone in their 40's as a human) for someone born on Draenor that is still middle-aged/inbetween by the WoTLK and Cataclysm time periods. Thanks!
I'm not too well versed with Draenei lore, but I do know that on CotH all races reach physical maturity at 18. Wether or not you chose to mentally be an adult at that age is up to you. I do know though that in Blood Elven society, one isn't considered an adult by their peers until around 200 or so. The best thing to do is to look at the allowable ave chart found on the wiki (sorry, can't get a link due to being on my phone) and scale from there...

... Or maybe someone better with Draenei can give some input.
I don't think we know specifically what year the draenei got on Draenor. Regardless, a safe bet would be a century or two if you -seriously- want to be born on Draenor.
I see. Well, I was basically (unofficially of course) denied due to my aging and one or two other errors, so I REALLY need some help with a Draenei. Thanks for trying.
According to "The Rise of the Horde", Draenei arrived to Draenor more or less two hundred years before the corruption of the Orcs. As for aging of this race, it seems to be yet another of Azeroth's mysteries, as we don't even know what their lifespan is like. I mean, we have plenty of canon Draenei that are thousand of years old and don't look aged at all. The only aged Draenei I can think of is Prophet Velen himself, and he is VERY old - more than 25 thousand years (!). I never got the feeling that they cared too much about social age. Just think about it...how would you portray the middle age of a being that, for all we know, may live forever or, at least, for a gargantuan period of time? That being said, I think it's not impossible to play one with a middle-life mindset, it would probably depend on the Draenei's personality and life experience. A younger Draenei would have an easier time picking up more humanly habits, for example.
"-930 (959 years ago) - The Draenei ship lands on Draenor."
Quoted from the wiki. 959 years before current server year.

This, however, won't pass as a social standard for a 40 year old human. Well, it might, seeing as all Draenei reach adulthood at 18. However, most Draenei would barely count you as an adult until 2000, if you're going by the old ages (which most Draenei players are, as I've seen).

EDIT: Dernit, Ghaskan. Got it before me. Velen is said to be over fifty thousand, last I remembered. Could be wrong. Draenei don't really seem to mind age, yes, but it varies from one to another. Mine would very likely call a Draenei that's under the age of 2000-3000 a baby. So, keeping all those in mind, make it whatever age you wish! Born on Draenor is relatively young, i'd say.
I actually have a question myself that is similar to this topic...

While Light allows Draenei to live theoretically for eternity (If they aren't stabbed with bits of sharp metal or poisoned or the like), does it prevent them from showing physical signs of age?

I only ask because one of the oldest Draenei, Velen, is physically aged -despite- his life being enhanced through the use of Light.

Look at his picture if you don't believe me when I say he looks old!
He doesn't actually look -that- old, Rosen. Just... A ton of hair everywhere.
His claws... I've never heard a logical explanation for them. However, he is known to be the oldest living Draenei, so it might be that around his age they begin showing signs of aging.

Edit: Blast, I seem to be finishing my posts too early lately.
Velen's ingame model portrays him as much younger from the picture, to add to it. Knowing which one to follow may be tricky, but my point is that it might be other reasons he looks like that. Could just be Blizzard trying to make him seem different from the generic Draenei male, being a lore character and all.
(07-07-2012, 01:43 PM)Adam255 Wrote: [ -> ]"-930 (959 years ago) - The Draenei ship lands on Draenor."

Quoted from the wiki. 959 years before current server year.

Interesting, I had the idea that it had been probably over 200 hundred years, but not THAT early on. Not doubting the information, I'm more of intrigued, but anyone knows what's the source for the date?
Draenei PHYSICALLY mature at age 18. This means they can make babies and drive a car and join the army and get drunk!

However, cultural maturity is another matter entirely. That said, we don't have any OFFICIAL figures on what draenei consider "adults", sooo... get creative and take things with a grain of salt. And be vague. For the love of GOD, be vague.

As for physical aging, that'd probably be an artistic licensing thing, like elves. So... do it if you like it?
So would 1,332 be reasonable if I wanted the character to be born on Draenor?
(07-07-2012, 01:45 PM)Rosencrat Wrote: [ -> ]I actually have a question myself that is similar to this topic...

While Light allows Draenei to live theoretically for eternity (If they aren't stabbed with bits of sharp metal or poisoned or the like), does it prevent them from showing physical signs of age?

I only ask because one of the oldest Draenei, Velen, is physically aged -despite- his life being enhanced through the use of Light.

Look at his picture if you don't believe me when I say he looks old!

It's not just Velen(though he is ridiculously old. Over 40K (We have even older profiled Draenei on CoTH), if I remember it right - he'd already been ). Look at High Priestess Ishanah. They don't look old. They just look... like 35-40-year olds. Admittedly, Velen's grown his beard some.

These are Cataclysm Velen and TBC Velen in order:
Spoiler:

And this is Malfurion Stormrage, for comparison:
Spoiler:
Pre-Cata, Pre-War Of The Ancients:
[Image: Malfurionarchive.jpg]

Pre-Cata, Post-War Of The Ancients:
[Image: Malfurion2.jpg]

Post-Cata:
[Image: Malfurion_WotE.jpg]

Immortal(in lifespan) people don't seem to age, much if at all.

Quote:Draenei PHYSICALLY mature at age 18. This means they can make babies and drive a car and join the army and get drunk!

Wrong. A Physically mature person can make babies. But society dictates when they drive a car, join the army and get drunk. Even IRL, the age for consent, drinking and driving is different between different nations/societies, even though all humans mature at roughly the same rate.

You have to be considered an adult in your society to be able to do those things. It's physical maturity that governs musculo-skeletal growth and the ability to reproduce.
Quote:Wrong. A Physically mature person can make babies. But society dictates when they drive a car, join the army and get drunk. Even IRL, the age for consent, drinking and driving is different between different nations/societies, even though all humans mature at roughly the same rate.

---------------> My Sense of humor

---------------> Your head

:B
(07-07-2012, 02:08 PM)franzmallalieu Wrote: [ -> ]So would 1,332 be reasonable if I wanted the character to be born on Draenor?
Given they came roughly 950 years ago on Draenor, no. 950 years old would make the Draenei born right when they began settling.
Pages: 1 2