Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Northwind
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

[Image: NorthwindHeader-1.png]

"This is Explorer's League site B-184. Things have changed. We're requesting permission to abort. The mist has gone thicker. The voices are louder. More men are going in that gate and not coming back. Some of them that do come back don't come back... right. We're falling back to the workshop. Away from that gate. Please, respond as soon as possible."

About 'Northwind'
Northwind is the culmination of several different ideas borrowed from a multitude of survival-horror and general 'grimdark' settings, games, novels and generally any medium of work (including creepypasta). It is my own take on the idea of survival-horror in implementation in World of Warcraft, basically.
To summarize some elements of the event;
  • Fully non-combat events. Combat is highly discouraged (in an In-Character sense) in almost all situations. If anything does occur there will be no rolls, and will run entirely off trust.
  • Highly interactive setting. You can act using any action that would be logically possible in a situation-- breaking through windows, rummaging through barrels and chests for objects of use, picking up decor from around to aid you, or even just reading a book.
  • Single-Person events. Northwind runs currently with only single-player events. This means that I am able to react to your actions more accurately and be able to fully respond to any inspection or movement your character makes, rather than attempting to focus on a broad group and react as a whole.
  • Variations for character archetypes. The good will face one trial, the bad another-- more are being made at current.
  • Returning 'guests'. You can opt to have a character return into another event, even if he ICly would prefer to stay far away. If a character has been to Northwind once, their dreams might just bring them back again.
Among other things. Ten hours of testing has already been put into this event system, and the outcome seems to be fairly polished at this point.

Northwind will also serve as a possibility for a new roleplay location. That will be a later addition, however, and I will elaborate on it when it comes.

Participating
Participating in Northwind has a very simple set-up at the moment. Your character needs only one trait to be plausible for the event;
Would he or she fly on a flight master's mount over the Eastern Kingdoms?
If so, you have everything taken care of in terms of event requirements. More lead-ins will be available later as the chain develops more. In order to be ran through one of these events you need only send me a Private Message, or whisper me if I am calling for a participant and have no others on the docket who are online at the moment. Be aware that Northwind events can easily last up to two hours-- this is fully dependent upon how fast your character acts, thinks, and moves throughout the event.

Rules of participation are as follows:
  • Character deaths are not mandatory. If you wish to run an event with the possibility of character death you may tell me before the event begins. By default I will not expect you to consent to character death. Be aware that a bad ending will result in the character being injured, but this will never take the form of a debilitating injury or anything lasting. It will always be healable wounds, and will mostly be painful rather than long-lasting.
  • Keep argument to a minimum. Keep in mind that this event line incorporates many elements of horror-- mindtrippery is to ensue, and if you ever find yourself questioning the justification of a piece of content in the event, be aware that that is indeed the most likely explanation. If there is a concern about content I would prefer that it is held until the end of the event so that things may run more smoothly. That being said, if anything in the event causes you discomfort tell me and we can simply end the run there.
  • Pick things up! Get into the situation! Have fun! Interact with the environment, get into a panic fit, etc. Don't hold back emotes or the like and just have fun with the situation-- it will make things more enjoyable on both my end and yours if you can sink into character during these events, and inspection of objects can sometimes elicit some humorous content to break tension or objects of lore or aid.
And honestly I think that may be about the extent of it. The event is not overly requiring of you, other than time. As mentioned most actions are possible (though some may not end favorably), and I will always give reasoning or reaction to a response from your character.

[Image: NorthwindClickme.png]

Special Event Form
Special events (those marked with red font) require a form to be submitted to me for use in scripting the event. If you are interested in one of these runs, click the spoiler below.
Spoiler:
Quote:Example Sheet: Send this form to me via a private message. You may add this form in -after- your initial request. Be aware that I may not choose everyone's form; if I do not feel that there is enough material or if there are too many special events in a row, then I will respond telling you ahead of time that I will not be running a special event for your run once you are near the top.

Special runs are not exactly more intense or involved, but they use elements that require more in-depth information to be used correctly.

Character Name: Rigley Darrson

Race: Lordaeron Human
Trade: Tinker, Warrior

Significant friends, family, etc: Wife, family, best friend. . .

Significant foes, fears, etc: Sharks, Storms. . .

Significant character traits: Cowardly, Humble, Kind, Curious. . . (Please be thorough!)

NOTE: I will not consider a submission with a blank space in any field. As mentioned above, I will also not do many special runs in succession-- I need time to script these, and making many in a row would be overly taxing. In this case I'll be picking whichever I can do more with.

Current Events
For those interested, the following lists the current 'events' possible in the event line.
Spoiler:
  • The Statue
  • The Hanged Man
  • The Husk
  • The Beholder
  • The Skin Thief
  • The Zephyr<Pending>
  • Wrath <Pending>
  • The Gazer <Pending>
  • The Rain <Pending>
  • Gluttony <Pending>
  • The Watchman <Pending>

[Image: Northwindpicture1.png]
I have heard that these events are approximately this scary.

Spoiler:
Alright!

I've received several PMs already. So people know how this will work, I will usually end up getting to about two events a day, due to the time they take to run. When running the events I will go down the current list of applications, and grab the first person who is around to respond. If no one's on I'll just ask in LFG and chat!

The current queue is:

1. Marilyn
  2. Mathias
  3. ImagenAshyun
  4. LostStranger
  5. Krent
  6. Zarquon
  7. Muhaha8
  8. Caravan
  9. valonforth
  10. cartoonkarl
  11. Kira13
  12. McKnighter
  13. Zenethen
  14. CappnRob
  15. Spiky
  16. Ural
  17. Nikodemos
  18. Magnolia
  19. Sachikomaeda
  20. Noble
  21. c0rzilla
  22. dragonmad
  23. Reigen
  24. Mezrin
  25. Stealthscout
  26. Krilari
  27. Wuvvums
  28. Psycho
I get home from work at around 5:00 server time and will probably start running a brief bit afterwords.

Looking forward to this-- Very pleased by the number of people applying so far.
To anyone who hasn't signed up, I really encourage you to do so! The event will knock your socks off, most of all if you're a lover of non-combat!
I'm pretty freaking excited for this, not gonna lie.
Just finished my second event, and let me be the first to say... Both times are some of the most fun events I've ever taken part of! The first one (The Hanged Man) was sheer terror incarnate for me, while the second (Envy) was very... Very morbid, really. The rest of my thoughts, well... You know them from in-game discussion!
Yay! I'm in line! <3
One down!

13 more to go. Today had a bit less free time for me on that end, so hopefully this list will star depleting a little bit faster in the coming days.

EDIT: Scratch that. I made my two-a-day quota!
(07-09-2012, 06:39 PM)Caravan Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty freaking excited for this, not gonna lie.
(07-09-2012, 08:07 PM)McKnighter Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-09-2012, 06:39 PM)Caravan Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty freaking excited for this, not gonna lie.
Three in the morning for me. This is why we Serbians can't have nice things.
Two-a-day met!

To note: People up front may wish to PM me and tell me what times are convenient for you-- otherwise it'll likely end up as today where I run on my own schedule and (possibly) miss you.

I'm very pleased with things so far. Looking forward to more!
Might do to cross names out on that there line-up post, so we readers can have a better idea of who's down and who's up.
People who have been done are no longer on the list, actually.

It'll be edited each time I run an event.
(07-09-2012, 02:42 PM)Sol Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard that these events are approximately this scary.

Spoiler:

Having suffered Voragh through one of these, I can now confirm that they're even scarier.
Pages: 1 2 3 4