Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Builders!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!

I've been thinking! (A rather mighty feat in its own.)

Could there be a builder rank for the community? A group of volunteers/hand chosen people who specifically build camps or small villages for the sake of more RP areas? While the world already has much to offer, I feel that we can give even more life to the world!

There's a few reasons behind this suggestion, but I'll name off my idea first!

Volunteers (Or applicants) who sign up for this position will be given a few choice commands to help them build!

Their access to the commands will be:
-Gobj placement.
-NPC placement.
-NPC puppeting. (Suggested, can do without!)
-Flying. (For those hard to reach areas)
-Phasing ability. (For events/specially allowed RP areas!)

They will in no way actually be part of the GM team, and more for the ease of creation of areas for events, as well as new RP zones, thus taking some of the burden and stress from the already busy GMs!

What exactly might they build, you ask?

Well, to help bring life back to the nearly non-existent (to me! I haven't seen any!) travel RP, they can build things like road-side camps! They could be anything from bandit hideouts, travelling merchant caravans, or just fellow travellers!

They could help tidy up existing locations after requesting the proper permissions to do so, or after getting a green light from the GMs, they could even phase and build more locations like the new Shadesfell Hold!

The pros to this, of course, include:
-More diverse locations
-More of a 'living' feeling in the normal phase.
-Ease of event creation for both GMs and normal players

The cons, however are:
-A risk of too many RP locations, leading to only small groups in certain areas
-A possibility of server lag/slow loading times? (I doubt this!)
-A risk of people getting all.. messy with their spawning and not cleaning up!

There's obviously more than I've listed in the possibilities, pros, and cons, but I figured I'd sum this up here.

Comments? Suggestions? Furious rage flaming me?

Have a ball!
Interesting suggestion. Should something of this nature be considered viable, I would highly suggest requiring GM approval for any content added. Members with such abilities would also need to be very trusted community members with a firm grasp on regional lore. My final concern is that most everyone on the server would like to have this ability and conflict would likely arise amongst those who were not chosen. I personally find that under most circumstances, the existing locations and NPCs can be suitably enhanced through the implementation of TRP2's NPC dialog function.
Well, it would be just like the case with forum helpers! Not everyone can be one, that's why there's applications to pick out those most suitable for the job!

And as for the TRP2 info- Well, not everyone has TRP2, and on top of that, people (like me) haven't a darn clue how to use dialogue function either! And I've used the addon for years now.

A good comment though!
As much as I would like to see people with the ability to add small additions to the world, I fear it won't ever be implemented as there has always been this.. fear for people abusing the commands. I'm not sure if I used the correct word there, but people would turn into mini-GM's, no? Tokens can be done through the components page, forum helpers are doing the profiles, so GM's essentially just keep watch on the community (answer questions, remind people of policies, occasional wiki-work, etc), help out with events(And run their own events off course) and build stuff. (If there are other things out there you guys are busy with, then I apologize as I do not recall them straight away. Bear the ~5 month absence)

I would love the ability to spawn minor things, camp-fires, tents, chairs, stuff that possibly only lasts for a certain duration (Say, an hour) that even if people forget to remove the items from the world, it still despawns after a while. I'm not sure if that's possible, but it would be great to have. Keep the entire town's to the official GM team, let them alter entire regions but let us alter minor areas.

As much as I'd like the idea, I fear it's not going to work out in this place.
I don't think mini-GM is quite the word. They'd have no authority over players, and would be subject to the same rules as them.

Of course, the NPC puppeting maaay fall into GM territory, so we can possibly do without!
Quote:They'd have no authority over players, and would be subject to the same rules as them.

While true, they'd still get quite a few options GM's have. The NPC-Puppeting itself.. Perhaps it's best without that.

Perhaps people could be limited to a certain amount of spawns, say.. 3 per player before being forced to despawn something first. Encourages people to RP in bigger groups, as it allows you to spawn more things together for the event / RP session.

Not entirely sure. I like the idea, but it seems a tad much.
We already have a rank for Builders here on CotH. It's called a Rigley, why would we need any more?

On a more serious note, we wouldn't need anyone to build, building isn't a difficult task and we do not need to build flavour spots all over the world. Having a team dedicated solely to building would cause them to either run out of jobs very quickly, crowd areas with places that would rarely be used or get bored and use their powers for something else.

We're fine as we are.

Edit: Oh, to add to that, with the new patch we have it makes it possible for people to spawn ridiculous things. (Eg, Booty Bay in its entirety with one GObject)
Booty Bay is one static? That's interesting.
One way I could sort of see this working, if it is even physically possible to do, is to have a separate phase that these builders are allowed to build in which gets cleaned out or deleted or whatever periodically. (Week, daily, whatever's convenient for the people who'd have to deal with said errand) It would probably need to be only accessable with a builder or GM player's assistance and a great emphasis should be put to not use the separate phase for OoC purposes, players and builders alike. Have a specific list of items in which builders have the authority to spawn, another which they may make with the presence and permission of a GM (and perhaps documented in a thread somewhere?) and have everything else off-limits. (though the list should certainly be flexible) Particularly popular sites within this phase could become a candidate for being spawned in the true CotH.

I wouldn't be too uncomfortable with giving some of the people around here some GM commands without GM authority, but... From what I understand, giving someone one GM command pretty much means giving them all the others, too, right? That's a problem right there. Though I'll say right here that I'm not particularly familiar with the ins and outs of WoW's system for GMs. Perhaps make this very much a trust matter and even a few uses of commands that aren't expressly allowed be grounds for removal of builder privileges, even if its something like "fix quest for other player" or "help other player with token to level 50." Make it very very clear that they are not GMs and they shouldn't be taking on any GM duties.
With as many staff members that we have building and customizing areas.... I am really curious as to why it really would be needed.

There are plenty of flavor spots, camps and what have you for people to use. Having players, many of which who have never used the trinity emulator to build, would be chaotic and more time consuming (ie having gms teach them) than it would be worth.
(08-06-2012, 04:42 AM)Dae Wrote: [ -> ]One way I could sort of see this working, if it is even physically possible to do, is to have a separate phase that these builders are allowed to build in which gets cleaned out or deleted or whatever periodically.

D:

Unfortunately, the only way to delete a single object (for GMs, at least) is to first move really, really close to it, to make sure that you target it and not something else with the object target command. Theeeen, you've got to look at this monstrous number known as a GUID. This evil integer generally looks like this: 1003945. Or this, to tired eyes: 1937545890485845. You have to type in this number to delete that specific object.

And then... you have deleted ONE object. Repeat x1000. I'll collect your tears in this jar.

[Image: Pixel_Jar_Collection__Pink_Bow_by_Lisu.gif]

I echo Bounty, ultimately. That aside, gobjects cause a heck of a lot of strain for certain machines. Even my desktop - and that thing would ride off if I attached wheels to it - gets annoyed in some of the more heavily-built areas.
(08-06-2012, 05:03 AM)Delta Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2012, 04:42 AM)Dae Wrote: [ -> ]One way I could sort of see this working, if it is even physically possible to do, is to have a separate phase that these builders are allowed to build in which gets cleaned out or deleted or whatever periodically.

D:

Unfortunately, the only way to delete a single object (for GMs, at least) is to first move really, really close to it, to make sure that you target it and not something else with the object target command. Theeeen, you've got to look at this monstrous number known as a GUID. This evil integer generally looks like this: 1003945. Or this, to tired eyes: 1937545890485845. You have to type in this number to delete that specific object.

And then... you have deleted ONE object. Repeat x1000. I'll collect your tears in this jar.

[Image: Pixel_Jar_Collection__Pink_Bow_by_Lisu.gif]

I echo Bounty, ultimately. That aside, gobjects cause a heck of a lot of strain for certain machines. Even my desktop - and that thing would ride off if I attached wheels to it - gets annoyed in some of the more heavily-built areas.

Is there any way to delete an entire phase, though?
Nope.
Quote:And then... you have deleted ONE object. Repeat x1000. I'll collect your tears in this jar.

From.. my experience in the trinity core (That is what CotH uses, right?) GObj removal is.. fairly easy..

.go sel
.go del

..Make a macro, and you can clear an entire city of GObjs rather quickly.
Bounty just informed me that it is actually possible to shift-click the name of a gob to delete it, but that doesn't make the process terribly more expeditious.

Our revision of Trinity handles item deletion differently.
Pages: 1 2