Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Variant Classes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I wouldn't want to look like a crazy nublet when I post a profile/make a character, but I need to know what exactly a Variant Class is.

My understanding of the variants are different explanations for various skills in a specific class. For example; a warrior who uses shadow magic to make himself have the ability to bloodrage or gives him strength to be able to Titan's Grip.

While he is not a typical warrior, he has instead opted to use magic to strengthen his physical capabilities.

Clarification as to my right-ness?
You would be correct to an extent. However, overuse of multi classing is generally frowned upon so avoid the stealthy twohanded axe bearing mage with a preference for shamanism lol. You are not strictly prohibited to the classes offered by the world of warcraft game client and with the death of the prestige class system, such variations rarely require a special profile. Depending on the nature of your special abilities, a gm may decide that you need an initial approval. My advice is to post any such profiles in the workshop for a period of time prior to submiting for approval. Also keep in mind that any over powerful skills and abilities, or those that do not functionally make sense based on game lore or character history (Your 18 year old warrior is not a master swordsman, and very likely has no rank of consequence) will generally be shot down. Approach any variation with balanced character creation in mind. It seems like you have the right idea, just be sure to research your skill concepts to assure they are feasible lorewise. Welcome to COTH.
Variants are moreso variations of a base class that does not make them more powerful, such as a Blademaster for a Warrior. In the case of a warrior using some shadow magic, it's permissible to an extent--however, that warrior must still otherwise rely on his/her raw strength with weapons to be allowable as a warrior. Slight magic would be used to help boost him, but it's not used in battle itself. If you are to roll a warrior type who relies heavily on magic in order to boost his strength, it's best to roll with a class that actually does this in lore or game mechanics such as an Enhancement Shaman or Retribution/Protection Paladin.

In other words, a variant is simply a class in which he/she practices their skills in a different way from the base class. With a Blademaster (Warrior), they'd specialize in bladed weapons, usually a sword. With a Spirit Walker (Shaman), they'd be moreso in contact with the spirits themselves than focus channeling with the elements.

All in all, though, you'd likely be allowed to use some shadow magic for Warrior abilities, but only so far. Otherwise, a warrior in itself should use their strength and skills with weapons and armor to be allowed as a warrior.

Hope that helps! :)
Very much so, thanks guys for the quick response!