Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Rigley Rambles on: Worldbuilding 2, Deathwing Boogaloo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alrighty!

With murmerings stirring up regarding Cata, I thought I might bring up my plans for a restart in regards to build projects.

Of course, much of this is subject to availability of the custom patch, the ability to even switch cores, etc; nothing is set in stone, I just am interested in discussing my thoughts on this stuff.

What I'm thinking of doing in my approach with Cata is to build less large-scale regions such as the Valias Airbase. Effectively Valias, while slotted for guild use, is rather large-- more the size of a small city or the like instead of a guild base. I'd like to roll with smaller guild bases, ones that would be a bit more conceptually viable. To this regard I mean regions such as Lastwatch, Bladebreaker, etc-- I imagine the general formula will be a large central structure with a few dwellings surrounding it.

I may take up a policy wherein I will be making such guild bases on demand more than on the simple outset, as well.

In terms of the large-scale, I already intend to rebuild Northwind for continued events with the series (that has indeed been neglected this week-- but hey, college. I'll be back in the swing of things shortly), but on top of that I have two other ideas which I wish to try and push forward, given all agreements with the administration.

I've essentially decided to pitch forward two neutral regions; a remade and refurbished Solace in another locale (which I'll get to in terms of lore later), and perhaps a goblin boardwalk-city, given all of the objects I've seen available to work with. Solace would hopefully be built around the area of Wintergrasp, and have a few different divisions on it-- The dock city would be built out within one of the crags caused by the Cataclysm, constructed against cliff faces and a goblin/gnomish barge.

Effectively a neutral city with leanings towards the good and the wealthy, and then the complete opposite. One that's to have Dalaran's opulence, the other meant to be...

Well, goblin.

Why neutral towns? Mostly because of the patch, if I'm to be honest. I love options for housing, and sadly we won't be spawning these buildings outside of patch-specific areas-- otherwise it would be a mandatory thing, which is frowned upon. Basically my compromise is a fairly-sized settlement that isn't of much importance in the grand scheme of things; a civilian town for Dalaran and a dock-city for a goblin cartel.

Once more, nothing is set in stone and I'm expecting there will be a bit of discussion involved prior to any effective construction. I've already begun a few tentative spawns on our testing server however [I might provide some screenshots, but really its just the base structures and checking the spaces they would take up], and in both cases I'm fairly certain these ideas will prove viable enough. We'll have to wait and see, of course, but I'd also like to hear some thoughts from you guys, either on the ideas already lain out above or other possibilities.

Despite some comments on terrain thus far, Cata actually seems like it will be quite hospitable to spawns in terms of flat ground to work with. The only thing I need to figure out now is Mac compatibility with the new patch, but hopefully that won't cause issue.

Anyways-- Leave any thoughts below!
Lastwatch, and I was just talking with Rosencrat about this too, is probably my favorite place that you've built Rig. We aren't a server with a massive population; that isn't our strong point. Our strong point is quality RP, and with a small amount of players, squeezing as much into a small area as possible is awesome. And while I'm here I might as well throw my hat in for the goblin town because really... Goblins need the love.
Yes, awesome. I've nothing much to comment on, really, I adore the fact that you're doing something that aids us roleplayers' immersion. Nothing much more to say than 'keep up the good work!'.

/love
(08-23-2012, 06:13 AM)Kirabo Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, awesome. I've nothing much to comment on, really, I adore the fact that you're doing something that aids us roleplayers' immersion. Nothing much more to say than 'keep up the good work!'.

/love

Quote:good work
Good? I say excelent!
/love
Is there really a need for a fourth neutral goblin port?

I really like Solace and would love to see it rebuilt in Cataclysm.

My only input worth mentioning is where the effort is put. I know this new patch is all nice and shiny but perhaps improving existing areas with what the game offers should be a primary concern? For example cleaning up houses in the cities for RP or adding more things to streets such as a proper market? Another thing I know has been implemented but can be continued is camps- simple tents with a fire and some seating in mob free places perhaps in between towns. Some could be a bit more extensive such as a stopping trade caravan.
If there are any suggestions as to where people want improvements, I've had a blog page opened for a long time asking for suggestions such as where and what I should do, in regards to any additions to the world. I can put effort into the normal world, yes, but only so much as I am actually given the idea for improvements to make.

I think I've been very vocal about willingness to spruce up regions. I can't really say I take the blame for that if the suggestions aren't given.

In regards to why another goblin port, I would like one which makes use of the new cata models and has a larger scale to it. Really, looking a the models, the cata goblin objects are just stylistically unique to the current goblin towns.

I really hate typing on an iPod.

EDIT: I've just noticed I actually have time to respond on my laptop; allow me to expound upon my grievances.

I've asked many times as to what I can do to improve existing areas.

http://www.conquestofthehorde.com/Thread...#pid208273

http://www.conquestofthehorde.com/Thread...#pid208527

www.conquestofthehorde.com/Thread-Decorating?pid=227570#pid227570

And in regards to clearing existing areas? I once more have been seeking suggestions for that-- to my knowledge I have yet to be given them.

www.conquestofthehorde.com/Thread-Clear-Out-The-Stores-And-Maybe-Other-Houses-Too?pid=259124#pid259124

I'm a bit defensive in regards to this since it's already been presented to me once as a complaint-- And all I can say is the same as before. If people wish to say that effort is put on the wrong priority, they should really speak up and give me another priority to consider. I'm no wizard; I enjoy building, and if I'm not shown something else I'll try and preoccupy myself as I can, within reason.

If you have ideas, please post them in the Decorating thread on this blog, and I'd be happy to take a look and put them into place, if all is in order. If you'd like to see more camps, I can do that; but I need locations before I can stamp one down, and I can't read minds and know where people think would be good spots.

Again, I apologize if my tone is harsh; that I'm being told that my effort is in the wrong place is somewhat frustrating when I've tried to be as open as possible in searching for new things to add.
So far Rigley, I've loved all the custom places you've built (and I am still waiting for Arathi Basin for all my human farmland needs), except maaaaybe Solace. Solace is... waaaaay too big, IMO, and cluttered. It doesn't seem to synergize well... but, that's just my opinion, and when you've got a 100% success rate otherwise with everything else, then it's really not a big concern.

... the only thing I'd like to see you spawn would be dwarven towns (especially Wildhammer houses from Cata), but they're built into the ground directly sooooo I am 99% sure they will never happen :(