Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Occupying a village?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So, I was wondering if a guild could occupy a small village, could we? For example: The Red Rose can call on enough people to occupy Sen'jin village (I would never do -that-, because the Horde would be after me in the blink of an eye) could we do that? Like take control of a small village, at least temperarily. Like look for a small enough village and boom attack it and make it the guild base, beat the people of it, or whatever.

The Rose would be using the low numbers of either the Horde or the Alliance not to retaliate until we are done, so can we? I think it would be very fun, especially if we managed to stay secret.
Short answer: no.

As for the long answer, I'll let somebody with some more insight explain. But this isn't the first time it's been brought up and it's always shot down as far as I know.
Hmm...sad day, though I would like the long answer :P
Long Answer:

Occupying a village has a great number of variables that would be almost impossible without ridiculous support from the server and GM team to pull off, those being local NPCs, factions that control the village, and OOC issues. I'll go through each of these points individually, if I leave anything out let me know.

Server + GM support: This variable actually ties into the others greatly, so I think you'll understand when I say you'd need GMs to help you monitor the activities of locals, and if you were to take over a village belonging to either the Horde or the Alliance, someone would need to control the reactions of that faction. Resistance would likely be easily quelled by a single military contingent. The locals could want to surmount their own resistance, and then they would need to be controlled as well. Then you realize you'd be changing the history of that place; taking over an existing town is a lore-changing thing. That town would have the memory of their occupation scarred into history. You would need to get other players to acknowledge that you took over the city and somehow rid the city of its guards. To do this, -everyone- on the server would need to agree, because the moment someone tries to RP there and they don't agree with you, the can of drama has been opened.

The Horde and Alliance would easily defend an attempt at taking one of their villages from a lesser force-- and the GMs would need to control them. OOCly, if you take over a village with a guild and the NPCs in that village are hostile to your faction, prepare to remove all the NPCs or constantly here, "Goibon uden lo!" We're not really to change lore right now, and taking over a city would definitely thrust an organization responsible onto the world stage. And like I said, you cannot enforce that you 'own an area.' If you try to tell people OOCly that your guild owns a place, then you are breaking the server rules. If they accept that your organization is attempting to control the place, you'd actually have to try to enforce it by combating anyone who disagreed to your rules and tried to RP in the same IC location unhindered by the change in lore you have enacted. Going off of that, someone is bound to get upset and...it's just overall a bad idea in general.

Unless there was a player-run town that was used by players alone and didn't preexist, trying to take over a town just has too many variables to control. (Playerbase, lore changes, factions that control those cities, local resistance.)
The long answer can also be seen here as by an Administrator's word: http://www.conquestofthehorde.com/Thread...bfuscation
Aphetoros swoops in for the kill... I mean explanation.
Hmm...I see, though I'm not stupid enough to go after a -city- I do actually get your point, so let me ask another question, could we attack and raid a -small- village?
It falls on some of the points Aph brought up as well, but I'd say it's a lot more viable than occupying it. In that case, something -might- be worked out, but it'd probably be classed as a rather large event.
Or at least you know, doing a hit and run attack :P Like runing in, taking supplies with minimul deaths to both NPCs and players :P But then we get supplies and I think the lore remains unaffected (At least unaffected as much as a "raid" can be)
If you're set on raiding a village, avoid using any lore villages. Pick a roleplay location and use that, DMing the NPC presence yourself.

The problem with conquest is that most people presume to zerg rush in and beat down the inferior NPC party. I have never seen a player character lose his or her life in conquest roleplay. The casualties would certainly be heavily on the loser's side, but it would be tremendously fortunate if players managed to successfully siege a civilised, fortified settlement without receiving a single fatality on their side.
Okay, then I'll see what I can arrange with the GM staff :D I did not mean to push the issue to much, so if I did, please next time slap me 'till I get to me sences >.< I did not plan on using a village of importance anywho :P if it was important, the Horde or Alliance or whatever would send troops my way in a flash, I'm just mainly talking about, fight my way in, then run off with what goods we can grab :P And also, thanks for the info all!
Neither; I'd simply loot whatever remains.
I'm a firm believer in realistic conquest RP. That means that with every raid/battle every single player would have to be given character warnings. In real war the opportunity for death to claim both the players and NPCs must be present in order to make sense. Then and only then do I feel the GM's might consider it slightly (there are so many difficult game mechanics, raid setups, and roll battle issues though). But as much as I believe it is able to be done with correct preperation and GM presence ect. I also feel that it would become very "wall of text" come battle time. It is hard to do but not impossible so long as people know "Hey, you're probably going to die and not be rezzed." lol. Hence why people don't go around trying to just wage war, the death factor. Not to mention the political aspect of war ranging from resources to overall providence and man power. There's just alot to go into conquest RP.
(09-02-2012, 01:06 AM)Delta Wrote: [ -> ]If you're set on raiding a village, avoid using any lore villages. Pick a roleplay location and use that, DMing the NPC presence yourself.

The problem with conquest is that most people presume to zerg rush in and beat down the inferior NPC party. I have never seen a player character lose his or her life in conquest roleplay. The casualties would certainly be heavily on the loser's side, but it would be tremendously fortunate if players managed to successfully siege a civilised, fortified settlement without receiving a single fatality on their side.

Actually,
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IO-CooA4_Y[/youtube]
besieging a settlement is pretty easy. All you have to do is cordon the area around it, and don't let supplies go in. Stop/divert water sources and prevent caravans from going inside the settlement. Hunger, thirst and disease are your weapons when you besiege a place, not strength of arms. And you can fairly easily get away with very few or no casualties in a siege. All you have to do is sit around a castle/town, and watch them starve to death.

Not so much in a battle, though. That's the place where you'd be impossibly lucky not to get casualties. Thankfully, battles were rare in ancient and medieval times. And sieges were common.

Now, back to the original point. If you want to battle for control of a settlement, you should understand that the consequences can be deadly for your side. The World of Warcraft is generally bigger than you see in-game, and that includes farms and soldiers. Anything owned by the Big Two is going to have a lot of the latter, effectively making it nigh-on impossible for a PC to conquer. So, in a way, you can try, but you're going to fail.

Thing is, we don't want to diverge from Blizz-given Lore(which is why there have been restarts in the first place). So, when Cata rolls over, everything is supposed to be as it is in Cata. For example, you can't conquer Astranaar - because Astranaar isn't conquered in Cata. Some conquest RP that -has- happened is Hearthglen - because Hearthglen is conquered in Cata.

Now I really wanna see Blood Elves doing the conquest thing in Tanaris, near the gates of a certain ruined Titan city, a la the Reliquary.
I happened to know that, though agian I'm not really looking for a battle or a true siege, though siege was more at what I was going for >.<

Also, Y U ALL HELP VILLAGE?!? *Obviously would destroy village*
Pages: 1 2 3