Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: No More Attachments - DropBox/etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently decided to disallow uploading attachments on the forums. The main purposes for this are to cut back a bit on bandwidth, ensure the greatest compatibility for if I must change server hosts (transferring all those attachments is quite a pain!), as well as limit liability for anything inappropriate uploaded that may be missed.

There is a very easy way to still share files, however! I've already converted all the links in the Downloads section of the forums as an example, and I suggest to sign up for an account at Box or Dropbox
(that's a referral link - you'll get an extra 500MB in addition to the 2GB you start with if you use it to sign up, and it helps me as well if you install the Dropbox app too!). You can then link directly to files you upload on Box/Dropbox as needed, and you have a much larger upload limit as well!

Alternatively, you may want to consider checking out Copy, a newer cloud storage service. Currently, when you sign up you will receive 15 GB of storage for free! If you do so via the previous link (also a referral link), you'll receive an extra 5 GB of storage!
(And as before, if you choose to install the Copy application, you'll reward me as well with extra space!)

For images, if you need an account somewhere I would suggest Imgur, as that seemed to have the least restrictions (and pictures don't expire unless they have no views for 6 months). A few other choices include ImageShack, Photobucket, and Flickr.

Note that this also applies to avatars! For the time being, it is still possible to choose an avatar from the forum gallery or link to an off-site avatar (which I would suggest Imgur for, as previously mentioned). You can also utilize Gravatar, which I actually highly recommend considering that you can keep record of all your avatars in your account there. You can have a central location to store your avatars, and any site that implements Gravatar will automatically detect your avatar based on your email.