Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Why Dorfs why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So as many of you know, I dislike WoW dorfs, what most of ya don't know, I like dorfs in -every- other video game. Dorfs are my favorite race in Dragon Age and D&D, so why not WoW? I think the problem is not knowing the lore or history or any cool dorfs. CotH, will ya remidy (>:|) that and tell me why you play dorfs or any lore ya know? (If the post is way long I become relutent to read it so best keep it short and sweet :3).
I don't really know why I read the thread title in the same rhythm as "When Doves Cry" by Prince...

That aside, I like Dwarves, I just can't seem to bring tales to play them.
...Actually, I had no idea you didn't like Warcraft dwarves!

It's a bit hard to explain why I might like them to you, as I've little idea why you dislike them. Do you know why you dislike them? If not, I suggest lining up why you like other dwarves in other works so much, finding similarities and differences.

As far as Warcraft dwarves go, I'd say my favorite is the Wildhammer. They're very close to Tauren in terms of faith and reverence for the Earth. They're also the finest gryphon riders.

[Image: 180px-Wildhammer_Dwarves.JPG]

WoWpedia Wrote:Wildhammer dwarves are feral and untamed, prone to revelry, shamanism and daring acts of bravery (and stupidity). They eschew technological gadgets in favor of nature magic and straightforward weapons, including their famous stormhammers. Wildhammer dwarves are famous across Azeroth for their unique relationship with gryphons. They treat these noble creatures as equals rather than mounts or pets. The gryphons respond to their handlers’ respect, and are steadfast and resolute in return. This close relationship produces the most famous Wildhammer dwarves: the gryphon riders, heroes of the Second and Third Wars.

Wildhammer dwarves are fearless warriors and unswerving opponents of evil. They take to the skies astride gryphons to combat vile creatures such as harpies, black drakes, and unnatural contraptions like goblin zeppelins. Slightly xenophobic, Wildhammers are content to deal almost exclusively with gryphons and nature spirits. They are distant, even distrustful, toward members of other races. Despite their insular nature, Wildhammer dwarves do not hesitate to come to the aid of their allies when the need arises.

The fanatical archaeological fervor that has seized the Ironforge dwarves does not fall upon the Wildhammers. Perhaps they are descended from these mysterious titans — but what does that matter? Wildhammer dwarves live in the present and do not dwell in the past. Their ambivalence about their titan ancestry denies them the power that their Ironforge brethren have discovered, but the Wildhammers make up for it with bravery, determination and wild spirits.
I find that dwarves are hardy and greedy but have honor, I haven't seen that in any dorfs on WoW am I looking wrong?
Oh, you're looking very wrong. Dwarves are exceedingly honorable, the Wildhammer I mentioned most of all, with their reverance for the earth and nature.
What about the greedy and hardy nature? That's what I think is the best about them :p I love their sence of honor mixed with greed to do anything but brake their honor.
I dislike dorfs as well.

Dwarves, on the other hand are a hearty race with rich lore and warm houses. Loyal too, I figure they particularly take the Blood Elves treachery to heart! Did you know they crafted the Ashbringer? Invented gunpowder? Their views run so deep that they even divided into three feuding clans. They've opened up their city to refugees, of course gnomes but many more as well. They're adventurers, with a knack for exploration and a thirst for treasure.

Did I mention the beards?
I did not know that, but as I'm lvling a dorf atm I still can't seem to get into him D: Maybe it's the way the WoW dorfs look?

As I think about my new dorf more and more I -am- getting more into it, just not as much as trolls D:
Are you sure you're not confusing the dwarves in Warcraft with the other kinds of dwarven arch-types? Dwarves are usually portrayed as hard-and-greedy in every other medium but WoW. They're all based on the Beowulf-era warriors who covet glory in battle and treasure. They're usually penned as hardy and bit more on the decadent side, with the drinking and treasure-hording and all of that. Mead-hall warriors, ya know.

The WoW dwarves seem to be an exception to that. With c0r already pointing out the best example of the Wildhammers. Yes, they're very much mead-hall warrior types, but they're very accepting and loyal to their Allies. I mean, they let an entire race of refugees into their home without so much as a fuss. When the gnomes came a knockin', they opened their doors in the most neighborly fashion imaginable.

"Greedy" isn't an applicable term for them, in my opinion. That description seems to be monopolized by the Gordon Gecko-esque philosophies of the Goblins. They're the ones that operate under the 'Greed is Good' mentality, in the WoW-verse. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I wouldn't say... greedy so much as I'd say... curious.

However, nothing's stopping you from having a greedy, hardy, and honorable dwarf. I want to like dwarves so much, but I can't get into RPing one, for some reason.
I like the other dorfs... so I'll probably go with those stariotypes :P Also how do thanes work?
It honestly, and truly depends on the dwarf. I've never been able to pick just one clan of Dwarves as my favorite, because they're all unique and interesting. Similar to Human kingdoms and how people from them are generally different. It's good to keep in mind that every Dwarf is an individual, and while the big three clans, (and family clans!) have their own beliefs, there will always be the odd one out.

Ironforge Dwarves As Krent said, the Dwarves let the gnomes in their home without so much as a fuss. These Dwarves are known for technology, craftsmanship, and they've given themselves a pretty good name all across the Alliance. They invented the steam tank, gunpowder, rifles. Very different from the Wildhammer, as you can see.

Wildhammer Dwarves c0r explains the Wildhammer perfectly. You're talking about a clan of Dwarves who lived off of the crags and cliffs outside of Ironforge; these guys were unsuccessful in taking over Ironforge during the War of the Three Hammers, but once they left? Bud, they went to Grim Batol and really thrived.

Dark Iron Dwarves Like the Wildhammer Dwarves, they ultimately lost the War of the Three Hammers, but did that stop em'? Heck no. They built Thaurissan, and had a -lot- of tries to take over Ironforge. These Dwarves are good with magic; more-so than Ironforge Dwarves. These guys, while currently not playable. (I suppose you could in the case of the Thorium Brotherhood.) Will...Do some things in Cata. (No spoilers!)

Thanes?

In World of Warcraft, thanes — explained by a Wildhammer NPC in Aerie Peak — are individual leaders of the many dwarf clans - Quote from the wiki
I know, but how would a dorf get to be one?
Thanehood, in simplistic terms, is just being a Dwarven noble house leader, again, simple terms. It's not Skyrim where Magni Bronzebeard grants you a houskarl and a stamina drain steel axe for slaying a dragon. Just write a special profile for your Dwarf.
Lol, I ment what lore do you need to add? Like to talk to?
Pages: 1 2