Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Ranged Warriors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a bit eager to get in on this server, and not sure if I'm allowed to ask this, but I'm curious...

Is it possible to allow Warriors (And probably even rogues) to have access to the Auto-shoot ability, just as every other class has access to the Auto-attack ability? I don't know why this wasn't a default in retail WoW, except maybe as an artifact of early balance concern wierdness that couldn't really manifest - Warriors aren't going to excell at ranged combat even if they can Normal Attack with a gun at a reasonable rate (And even if they do through bizzare Char-Op Fu, it's still guaranteed to be inferior to an actual Ranged combat class), but the option to allow them to try should still be on the table.
Rogues are much more likely than warriors, but... why not play a hunter? The free-form variant system we have doesn't restrict you to playing the base classes we use. A hunter doesn't have to have a pet, use a bow, wear mail... it doesn't have to do anything, really. The base classes are really vague, but they're mainly used to prevent multiclassing; hunters are generally used as the ranged weapon class.
Any race that doesn't have hunters can use warrior or rogues to RP an archer/gunslinger/shooter/etc class, but you can't use any abilities unique to a Hunter (ie beast taming, animal aspects, trick shots, etc).
(10-15-2012, 10:34 AM)Zhaei Wrote: [ -> ]Rogues are much more likely than warriors, but... why not play a hunter? The free-form variant system we have doesn't restrict you to playing the base classes we use. A hunter doesn't have to have a pet, use a bow, wear mail... it doesn't have to do anything, really. The base classes are really vague, but they're mainly used to prevent multiclassing; hunters are generally used as the ranged weapon class.
Because human crossbowman. Or Gnome gunner.

I like integrating my character into the mechanics and world of the game - If I say I'm an archer of some sort, you can expect him to be at least basic-attack capable with the weapon even if he does lack the Hunter's special shots (Even the 'mundane' ones like Aimed Shot)

The idea of playing a character that's supposed to be skilled with a crossbow but can't actually shoot anything with it beyond way-too-slow potshots really rubs me the wrong way.
Ah, I see. Oversight of mine, I apologize. There's a Human Ranger type character approved already, so, yeah, go for it!
(10-15-2012, 10:20 AM)Scow2 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to allow Warriors (And probably even rogues) to have access to the Auto-shoot ability...

The short answer is 'no'.

The long answer is that, from what I've come to understand, it's not that easy. There was a thread earlier this year with a similar question that Kretol responded to.

For reference:

Spoiler:
Kretol Wrote:Just to teach everyone a bit about how I do these types of trinkets, I do not do any scripting. The spells for the animations actually exist. To help out, I'd suggest to search on old.wowhead.com for animation, cosmetic, or anything else that may be in the name of the spell for such an animation. Keep in mind that spells may have other 'details' that aren't listed; like, it may only do the animation for a second, or it could be something else that wouldn't be ideal.
(Although one of these days I do need to look into scripting for animations. It'd be so much better and flexible)

As CappnRob and Zhaei've highlighted, you can RP one. Depending on what exactly you're looking for, rogue may be the better of the two.