Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Rumor Has it...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: Nn4sFtu.jpg]
Rumor Has It...

...That Azeroth is a world full of people in need, and sometimes their soldiers can't be taken away from a major task to deal with all the minor things going on. Sometimes even the mightiest of men have to break down and send out a call for anyone that is willing to help with an issue, be it pirates, undead or a rouge mage blasting up some nature. The situations tend to be in the now, thus the ones in need of help will recruit those who happen to be conveniently nearby.

They need your help.

These events do not operate on a schedule. There is no week long warning ahead of time before one is hosted. These events will spring up by rumor in a zone, not by a server-wide announcement. How will the zone be picked for an event? Easy. I will favor zones that have RP already going on in them that is not already an event. There will be an announcement over general chat so those who are in the zone can get involved if they wish. Every now and then a hint may be dropped that an event will go on in a certain zone, though the time they will happen depends on the number of people in the zone.

My goal with this is rather simple: I want to encourage more random RP and less OOC idling. The events will yield minor rewards depending on how well the job was done. It is very possible to fail a 'mission', however that will be elaborated upon further down in the post. Rewards include IC currency, enchanted items usable only in these events and IC reputation with a faction NPC.

Reputation?

One thing I've seen being talked about many times is players becoming frustrated with the lack of impact they have in the world and with events for factions. At the end of the day, characters go home with nothing to show beyond a few shiny coins that said they did something for a random, never the same, faction NPC. This is something I want to change.

For each faction that a character can do 'quests' for, it is possible for that character to gain positive and negative reputation for an NPC and his/her squad. Each event NPC has its own name and model and will always be the one handing out the quests. If a character attends events for that faction often enough and gains positive reputation, that NPC and his/her squad will start to favor that character. Reputation is NOT account wide. Each character will have it's own tracker.

The current planned event factions are:
  • Ebon Blade
  • Argent Crusade
  • Kirin Tor
  • Steamwheedle Cartel
  • Cenarion Circle
  • Consortium

Gaining/Losing Reputation

It is possible for a group to fail a mission if they do not work together. Failed missions will result in a loss of reputation, however not everyone loses the same amount. Those who misbehave, refuse to follow orders and cause the mission to fail will lose much more than those who attempted the mission, but were unable to stop it from being failed. Reputation can be lost to the point where a character will no longer be welcomed to that faction squad's events. [Only applies to Rumor Has It events.]

Characters who display their willingness to follow orders and get involved in the event will gain reputation. Sucessful missions result in rewards and possibly finding an object to help that character in future events. Positive reputation has rewards on its own, however those will come out though RP. I don't want characters having 'thresholds' that they can knowingly oocly meet. I'd rather have characters acting as they would ICly and gaining any positive reputation reward though those actions, not because a post said you get a super awesome poney at one bazillion rep.

Reputation disputes

"My character is ICly a respected member of this faction already. He should start out at max rep/mid rep/a rep higher than starting."

To put it one way, there is no way for me to track every character that claims to already part of a faction unless I wish to read all the profiles. Anyone can claim to have a character that would already be in good standing with one of the above neutral factions. For the purpose of this event chain, I'd like for everyone will start out at 0 reputation and will have to gain or lose it though IC actions. It can easily be explained that this squad of the main faction has not really kept up with the main drag. However I am willing to compromise.

Players are free to send me a PM with a reason as to why certain characters should start above the default rep-line for the faction NPC's squad. Links to profiles would be nice, most of all in the case of special profiles. I reserve the right to deny reasons and the amount of reputation given is up to me in the end. When I reach a decision, I'll send a PM with what I'm willing to give and why. Absolutely no one will start at max reputation.

FAQ

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel free to PM me or post here. I'll provide an answer as fast as possible.
Ran an event with the Steamwheedle Cartel yesterday. Thanks to everyone who joined in!