Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Hello! My name is Odaarus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:
I'm a long-time roleplayer. I've been roleplaying for as long as I've been able to read and write. I play tabletop roleplaying games of all stripes: D&D, Pathfinder, World of Darkness, L5R, and so forth. I've also done plenty of RP in several online games and MMOs, Neverwinter Nights chief among those.

I like to have fun and make friends; I roleplay as a means to that end. I like a high degree of verisimilitude in my roleplay, but not so much that I will sacrifice fun (mine or anyone else's) for the sake of "realism" or "continuity."

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:
USA; English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:
I played Warcraft II and III a lot back in the day, and I played WoW to level 20 when the "free until level 20" promotion started, but the lack of roleplay on the server I chose was enough for me to pursue it no further.

How did you find us? Did anything in particular draw you to the server?:
I ran some searches for "roleplay servers," which I then refined to "private roleplay servers." Some blog posts by Kretol drew me in: in particular, a post about the need for a degree of moderation in roleplay environments. I couldn't agree more; otherwise, as Kretol stated, you just end up with a bunch of lovechildren from prominent lore figures, and dragons masquerading as Blood Elves.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
I will happily "switch gears" to derive enjoyment from just about any style of roleplaying, but I generally prefer hardcore roleplay with lots of back-and-forth and character development, in pairs or small groups. Excitement and danger are fun, but not strictly necessary.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
I rather like the idea of the Draenei. Their aesthetic is appealing to me, along with their faith- and magic-based ascetic culture. This is especially appealing because I tend to play divine caster classes such as Priest and Shaman.

What are your expectations of this server?:
Nothing too concrete; I don't really know what to expect. I've only played WoW a little before this. I look forward to learning the setting lore a bit better (I've done my homework to some extent, don't worry), and I hope it's easy to find or create roleplay. That's just about my only expectation at this juncture.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
I like the fact that an introduction must be submitted and approved before a player can log in and create a character. It's a good barrier method for deflecting those who aren't truly interested in roleplaying, and creates a sort of pleasant "gated community."

I'm also glad that the introductions aren't required to meticulously list every last detail of the character the applicant intends to play; I've seen this method in practice before and if anything, I think it curtails an individual's potential by forcing them into a certain narrow mindset, rather than guaging their potential while keeping all possible avenues open.

Last but not least, I particularly approve of the #1 rule: Respect. It shouldn't have to be listed in the rules of any server (considering that it's the Golden Rule), but I'm glad it's there in any case.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
(Okay, but if I terribly butcher the lore, please bear with me. I'm learning as fast as I can.)

The Orcish ambush caught the Draenei pilgrimage completely unaware. The first rain of arrows pinned many to their bedrolls, killing some where they slept. The rest were roused with cries of shock and pain, only to be cut down by Orcish raiders under the red, flickering light of crude torches.

Odaarus had already been lying awake, ears straining to hear anything in the ringing silence of the windless valley. The first creak of a bowstring had sent him scrambling for his shield, and that had been his saving grace. The barbed arrows that tore his tent to shreds skidded off the stout tower shield, but his blood ran cold as he began to hear the death rattles of many of his fellowship who had no such protection.

Consumed by righteous fury, he burst forth from his tent, clad only in his nightclothes and clutching his shield and mace. The anger drained from him as despair began to claw its way into his chest; already, there was little left to save. The bodies of his kin littered the camp, slaughtered in their beds.

And for what? Certainly, he had been taught to hate and fear the Orcs, but also to respect them, as he would any opponent save the most absolutely vile and corrupt. He was fully prepared to face an Orcish warband, outnumbered three-to-one if necessary, but he had expected to face them on the field of battle, shoulder-to-shoulder with his fellows, with the sun warming his back. This was a poor death, and his kin did not deserve it.

He would die standing, with mace in hand, he decided. He braced his shield, facing the nearest Orcish raider, but the greenskin gave him the most cursory glance, then turned and strode away. The lightning raid was over. They must have found what they sought, for even now they were whooping and barking at one another in that harsh tongue of theirs as they disappeared into the trees once more, leaving him standing cold and alone with no enemy to face, no vengeance or satisfaction for his fallen kin.

Numbly, he retreated into his tent, donned his armor as if it mattered somehow; as if it would protect him from his failure. He wondered what could have warranted such savagery... what could have been important enough for honor to be cast aside? What had the High Priestess, now slain, been hiding? Then, darker thoughts. Did it matter? The Orcs had it now, and he was alone, with no one to protect.

He worked, then, long and hard, digging many graves--dozens of them. He worked until the sun rose, and until it set once again. When the last corpse was laid to rest, he built a cairn of stones upon the spot, by the light of a bonfire fuelled by the remains of their ruined wagon. They deserved better, but he could do nothing more for them. His limbs ached to the bone when he was finished; only then would he permit himself to sleep.

When dawn came again, it was a gray and bleak one, as still as the night that heralded it. He took what food he needed from the caravan's supply--enough to feed twenty, now all dead except for him--and left the rest for the scavengers. Then, he did the only thing left to do: he set out upon the road, putting one hoof in front of the other, to complete his pilgrimage.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
Nope. Everything is pretty clear after reading the FAQ, rules, and some of the wiki. Which I really did--promise.
Hi Odaarus!

I'm JVNemesis, a Forum Helper here, and it's my pleasure to welcome you to CotH! We actually have someone running a draenei Pilgrimage event chain at the moment, which sounds like something you'd be interested in! Check around the Event Planning forum and look for Bovel. He'd be the guy to talk to there!

I believe you when you said you read the rules and policies, promise! It's always good to have it here, though, just in case!

I also just like making fancy hyperlinks.

There are also a lot of helpful articles and guides for you to read up on in case there's that one little lore piece that keeps bugging you, or you're not quite sure about X race's history. The wiki also contains helpful tips for making a character and for when you’re writing your first profile, if you need the hand.

When you get your account created, make sure to /join Chat and /join Barrens in-game, as that's where a lot of the OOC chatter between players occurs! Also, if you ever have a question about anything, don't hesitate to PM myself, or anyone with a purple or bright green name. We're here to help!

The only thing you butchered in that story were draenei, so don't worry. That's perfectly fine.
I play orcs. Cough.

Enjoy your stay!