Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Playable Worgen and Transformation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So is there an official stance on how the playable race of worgen transform icly? So far I've thought of three different possibilities.

If as soon as they get attacked/receive a scratch, do they instantly turn into a big hairy monster?

Is it more like a day and night thing? (Similar to one town, I do not know the name)

Or does the Worgen have full control over transformation?
We're probably just going to presume it works how the game shows it working. Worgen have control over what form they are in. Judging by the fact that you're forced to change in combat situations, I'm probably also wagering that you're forced into worgen form during moments of extreme emotion (cliche, but works.)
(02-23-2013, 11:15 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: [ -> ]We're probably just going to presume it works how the game shows it working. Worgen have control over what form they are in. Judging by the fact that you're forced to change in combat situations, I'm probably also wagering that you're forced into worgen form during moments of extreme emotion (cliche, but works.)

This is generally the way of things, yes.

Although there are Worgen NPCs that fight in human form, they generally transform into Worgen form when they get frustrated or frightened enough for it to "kick in," as it were.

Goldrinn's blessing prevents anyone from being just trapped as a beast, however, and it's not like the Hulk where a little nick or harsh word will turn you into a rage-beast, from what I've seen of their questline. Additionally, a Worgen so blessed (as are all the player Worgen) has full control of their actions in both forms, although it's implied there's a certain increase in bestial instincts - like a love of rare meats, and hunting, and the like.
From what I've seen of the different worgen NPCs on retail is that it differs, if you want to talk about characters.

Like, there are some worgen who have trouble switching to their human forms, or even prefer their new forms. Whereas there are those that have no difficulty, physically or mentally, transforming.

That's what I have seen anyway. And the whole "switch upon combat" thing? Well, even if it is a cliche (and a game mechanic) it is something we're forced to abide by, unfortunately.
(02-24-2013, 12:05 AM)hiddengecko Wrote: [ -> ]Goldrinn's blessing prevents anyone from being just trapped as a beast, however, and it's not like the Hulk where a little nick or harsh word will turn you into a rage-beast, from what I've seen of their questline. Additionally, a Worgen so blessed (as are all the player Worgen) has full control of their actions in both forms, although it's implied there's a certain increase in bestial instincts - like a love of rare meats, and hunting, and the like.

This. Goldrinn's blessing allows all Playable Worgen to shift at will from one shape to another and affords them complete control over their actions in each. That's it.
So.. does that mean that (though cliche, I love them)sudden transformations due to stress, etc. etc. aren't possible and they choose to transform or.. is there a grey area that one can kinda play with it. Not Hulk-status but just room for difference? "Everyone has complete control, all the time, no matter what" seems kinda boring to me. But I just love that pressure of "oshi gotta keep myself in line".

>.> The Hulk is also one of my favorite superheroes. So yeah.

Sorry if I misunderstood something. Tis why I ask!
@Piken

Worgen may change between their forms at will under normal circumstances. Extraordinary duress may invoke the worgen form (mileage varies, I assume), but the worgen will still have control over his or her actions.
Really I'm guessing you get to run that at your discretion, Piken. Probably depends on the character and how they handle said emotion, at least that's how I would pen it.
I wouldn't like Piken when he's angry.
From what I understand, in situations of extreme duress, it becomes more difficult to not transform into their worgen form. Though one's physical expression of stress and trandsforming due to it varies from person to person. Kinda like how people might faint when surprised, or getting blood drawn. Or like how some people are just more prone to cry.
What I'm more concerned about is people being consistent with it. If they transform easily in one situation, they should in another, similar situation, even if its terribly inconvenient for your character at the time. (Or at least have to concentrate on trying to not change.)

I do think that, when relaxed, PC worgens should generally be able to change back and forth at will.
And what of characters who might not have recieved that blessing? Gilneans who were cursed and left the isle of Gilneas either out of a desire not to harm their brethren, or that "i'd rather die than be a beast" thing, bust supposing instead of dying they were found and picked up by pirates or some other such event, kidnapped or enslaved or what have you.

I understand that Varian was forced to fight in a gladiatorial arena for the orcs (Ironic but not very nice). What if a worgen was to be captured and subjected to the same sort of sport, treated as a mere beast rather than a person. Without that gift, would that even be considered a playable character, or would it qualify for extenuating circumstances or some such?
Well, I believe it's described that any Worgen without the 'cure'/'blessing' are completely if not majority feral, because it's the 'cure' that restores their ability to transform back to human form and hold back the worgen thirst for... Whatever. So a worgen without the 'cure' would, in my opinion, be very hard to cross as - considering that without the cure your worgen'd be mostly unable to turn human, and would be 95% feral and likely want to tear everything's throat out.
I honestly think someone from Gilneas infected with the worgen cure would revert to the feral state before they could get very far, and instead seek out his kinsmen amongst the Bloodfang Worgen.

EDIT: For some clearance on that, try getting your hands on the Curse of the Worgen comics. They really clear up a lot about what was actually going down in Gilneas at the time.

@Spiralin

In regards to the actual topic of the thread, I personally think that worgen can change at will, but it requires conscious effort to avoid changing in stressful situations where suddenly they're caught in trouble and all their instincts are screaming fight! change! fight! live!

I think some worgen might change due to various misconceptions. Take the Pyrewood worgen, who change at night. It may be out of convenience, but it could also be a placebo effect; they think they have to change. I personally think that a worgen with a traumatized mind, weird superstitions or delusions would be more prone to change in certain specific situations simply because they think they have to. It might not even be voluntary.

This is all speculation on my part, though.
In cata, deadmines gets a new script to it, and one the boss you face on the top of the ship is a worgen. Explain that.
(03-19-2013, 07:50 PM)SoarTheSky Wrote: [ -> ]In cata, deadmines gets a new script to it, and one the boss you face on the top of the ship is a worgen. Explain that.

What do you mean? Explain which part about it?
Pages: 1 2