Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Who be dat mon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:

Right off the bat - m'name's Alex. I'm a bloke that's grown up on games rather than a meaningful social life. I've been described as somewhat of a hard-ass by some of my acquaintances, as I have a tendency to be pretty blunt in how I address people, whether for better or worse. Though keeping that in mind, I'm not a completely insensitive jerkwad. I find it personally easy to empathize with people and, in RP, with their characters and my own. I have a tendency to overthink and complicate things that are actually very simple, and I sometimes get lost in my own RPing when I get really into it, sometimes putting too much description than other people want, or sometimes even adding in description that's hardly even related to the on-going scene, a problem I tend to correct as quick as I can.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:

The glorious, crashing nation of Portugal. Portuguese is my primary language, though I personally am more comfortable speaking and writing in English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:

I was first introduced to Warcraft 3 by my older brother, and this was at a point where I still didn't understand English - or video games - well enough to do strategy very well without cheating. Regardless of that I had as much fun as I could with the game and the expansion when it came out, even mingled a little with the old DotA Allstars and had some affairs with Uther's Party. Moving on, fast-forward, my brother then bought into the hype for World of Warcraft's release while I remained skeptical, never having gotten into MMOs before that, and about one-and-a-half to two years after its release, I caved in and joined WoW. Oddly, it was WoW that sprung up my interest for the lore of the Warcraft universe and drove me to re-play the Warcraft games with better understanding. While I know a lot now, I still don't know nearly enough to satisfy my curiosity, and while it's been a long time since I've done WoW RP, I'm hoping to freshen up.

How did you find us? Did anything in particular draw you to the server?:

I had glanced over it before a few times when I was looking for WoW private servers that I could try out, and found a friend that played here as well and encouraged me to give it a try. I'm writing this at 1 in the morning my time so I haven't had enough time to go through the whole forums and dig up enough info for myself, but I have good hopes since I trust my friend's word.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:

I have moods and phases, which vary at random and drastically. Commonly though I tend to shy away from things that involve politics, those always find a way to give me a headache of the unpleasant variety. It also depends on which character I'm playing at the current.
Normally, I'm more often drawn towards scenes that aren't combat-centric. I like to see rituals take part, investigations, people discussing theories and their thoughts on subjects, arguing over what course of action is best in a time where critical thinking is needed. I also have a kink for the controversial. Not necessarily something drastic, illegal, or that would leave a bad taste in someones OOC tongue, I mean something that would "sting" several characters, such as playing a character with very dark philosophies, or someone bordering on being a "villain" character, but isn't because he happens to be on one side.

Above all else though, the RP I most enjoy is something that leaves an *impact* on characters and the world around them. I hate to be playing out a story that does not, in some way, affect some part of someone else's character. I don't *want* to be playing out a plot-line that would have some heavy significance for someone, only for them to act like nothing changed the next time they met. I like RP that feels that it's changing things, that it's leaving a mark that won't go away.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:

Again, something that I go through various phases. Sometimes I'll have an itch for some Orc. Other times I'll be craving me some Worgen or Night Elf. A dash of Dwarf doesn't hurt sometimes, and if I'm feeling up for some real experimentation, Blood Elf.

Point being I have no true favorite race, they all have their points of fascination for me. Except Humans. I find Humans to be boring no matter what I RP.

As for classes, for RPing purposes, I tend to swerve more for the mystically-oriented classes...or the ones completely devoid of such. Sure, I will sometimes like to play the front line sword & board warrior, though I get more pleasure out of being that one bloke that occasionally gives some meaningful help by words of advice, or helping someone else "help themselves" instead of going to the front of a struggle.
(TL;DR - Shamans, Priests, Rogues, Druids.)

What are your expectations of this server?:

Short and simple - Good, enjoyable, intriguing and compelling RP with a community that's likable, tolerant, varied and welcoming.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:

The "knowing when to quit" rule. It appeals to me in a weird sense, because while I wholly agree with it, I've always been one to advocate that no RP should be withheld because it makes someone uncomfortable. In the example that something were to happen to someones character that the player OOCly dislikes, I'd agree to "skip" and say that such consequence happened "off-screen". What I would disagree with though is bending a character's actions so something that would happen, does *not* just because another player does not want it to. Basically, I keep the rule "in character action, in character consequences" close at heart. I do keep limits though, such as something that would leave a permanent(or even just long-lasting) effect on the affected character.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

There we were, an excited group of adventurers ready and willing to throw themselves into the most dangerous pit of evil to get the prized loot! Men and women at the prime of their lives, the peak of their conditions, experienced in their own fields and perfect to take on any challenge!
Jonah, the leader, a seasoned soldier who's seen more fields of battle than even some commanders. He's not some honorable goody-two-shoes, though, no place for that when fighting for your life or for a cause, right?
Next is Rilay, our magic-person-thingie. She - yes, she - can do things with that magic of hers that you wouldn't even dream of. And she's pretty useful in fights, too. Charming woman, don't know much at all about her. While she can talk on and on about magic, she doesn't much about herself.
Next on the list is 'The Wall'. Actually, he does have a name, 'Eingyi', though it's so weird and he doesn't mind being called 'The Wall'. I don't even understand the reason for this name myself, he's a normal Human...with a case of the giantism. He's a 'simple' fellow, apparently met with Jonah on an ambushed caravan and they've been inseparable ever since. Whether Jonah appreciates the company or not is questionable, but nevertheless, 'The Wall' always does its job.
And finally we come to the mandatory sneaky person. We just call her 'Louise', she seems to like that name and doesn't particularly care. She hates to follow orders but has found out that staying with the party guarantees her food, safe beds, good drink and a lot of loot. Her and 'The Wall' get along like peas in a pod, but don't put her and Jonah in the same room for more than an hour alone. Like all 'sneaky people', she's the most dangerous when you don't know what she wants to do...and you never know what she wants. One minute you can find a dagger at your neck and the other a hand in your pockets.

Who am I though, you might ask? I'll let you figure out as we go.

With the party gathered, they set out to do some...investigating. There's many a strange thing happening in the world, with unusually high amounts of the Unholy cropping up, many wild beast attacks and plenty of raging Elementals. All of these incidents share one common fact, however, that none of them are seemingly sprouted by sentient force. They are just *happening*. Why, is what the party wants to find out, and hopefully how to stop it from at least getting worse. There were some rumors floating around about it having some relation to a relic called 'the emerald sword', and that one man knows the most about it. They found the directions to said man, and after a long, perilous journey, they reach the location - a lighthouse in the middle of the desert, a very peculiar place for such a building of course.

"Anyone in!? Open up!" Called the leader as he knocked on the metal door while the rest of the party just looked about to search for threats and landmarks so they can find their way back. Except for 'The Wall', who's taken a liking to chewing on the grip of his own mace. With a heavy, slow creaking, the metal door came open, standing behind it being an old man, wrinkled and with sunken eyes to the point of almost looking like a corpse and a beard that would make a dwarf feel humble. There's crumbs of some form of bread on said beard, and the old man looks somewhat irritated. His clothes are hardly clothes at all, more just torn and re-stitched bedsheets.

"What do you want?"
Replied the man with a voice so grating it would make a fae grimace. "I was enjoying my lunch, what are you doing here demanding to be let in someone else's home, hrmf!?"

Jonah reeled back with a look of clear surprise and cleared his throat to begin speaking again, though he is cut short by Rilay who spoke over his shoulder. "My apologies, sir, my friend here is a little on the brash side. May we be allowed in your lovely home? We have some matters that I feel you can shed some light on." Of course, suave as ever, the soft-spoken spellcaster has the full attention of the old man. "...Bah! Alright, but my lunch is my own." The old man replied and motioned for the party to follow him in. After a round of quiet praise to the mage, the party steps in to find the lighthouse is, in fact, nothing like a lighthouse. It's an immense library, and looks far larger when inside than outside. It's also rather dark, with sparse candles spread out along the floor to light the way, it almost looks like one wrong step could drop someone into oblivion itself. In the center of the room, surrounded by bookshelves, is a single humble desk with a plate on top and what looks to be just a piece of bread with ham inside it. The old man has already seated himself behind the desk and has gone back to his lunch by the time the party has maneuvered around the candles to get closer, with 'The Wall' having the hardest time doing so and almost knocking a few over. Louise has his back and straightened them though.

"My kind sir", started Rilay again, obviously the one best fit for this kind of conversation. "It's come to our knowledge that you may know something about a tale of old, the 'emerald sword'? We've been seeking for more insight for months now." The old man, however, did not respond and merely looked up to the mage with what can only be assumed to be a look of heavy annoyance. "This bag of bones probably doesn't even know what day it is." Louise commented up to Jonah with a very quiet tone. Despite this though it seems the old man heard the comment as he slammed a hand down on the desk with a loud bang. "Show a bit of respect while you're in my home you whore!" Shouted the angry old man, much to the dislike of the rest of the party. 'The Wall' in particular seems outright enraged by the insult towards his friend. He even raises the mace to get ready to strike. "Wall, don't do tha-" Jonah called but his warning is interrupted by the old man raising a hand and flicking a finger outwards, the result of which being 'The Wall' flying out of the room and the door slamming shut. "You young'uns have no respect or patience..." Commented the old man as he went back to the sandwich, leaving the party with wide open mouths of surprise. Silence reigns for a tense few minutes as the man simply finished off the sandwich, and only afterwards does he speak, with the party almost left in cold sweat.

"The emerald sword is just a story. Blah, blah, ancient hero that held the sword for his king and land to rid it of an evil entity. Nothing new, it's all a legend, go home and leave me alone." Said the old man with a shooing gesture. "B-but sir! There's got to be some form of truth to it!" Complained Jonah, who was almost immediately interjected by the old man shouting. "Shut up!" While he rose a finger to point to the mage Rilay. "I'll speak to this one. Not you mongrels." Rilay gulped down a knot in her throat and glanced to the other two with a worried look. This might be a bad situation for them...still, all she can do is try to talk to the old man. "Kind, ahem, kind sir, are you absolutely sure it's just a story? We need to find this sword, for it might be the only solution to all the calamities going on, the elements are in disarray, the dead are walking without anyone forcing them to-" The old man, again, interjects by holding up a hand, but now with a worried look above all else. A look which doesn't last for long before breaking into a wide grin with yellow and black, disgusting teeth showing. "So...it's happening? That old rattler is finally doing it?" He questions vaguely. Very vaguely. "Ho ho, ha-hah! Why didn't you tell me right away!" The old man spoke before breaking out into a loud laughter, so loud you'd expect that he'd be thrown into a coughing fit right away. The party collectively takes a few steps back at this odd reaction with an increasing sense of discomfort and danger growing around them. "I'll tell you! The 'emerald sword' is really a story, but it's a story that sprung from something real! It's hidden, very well hidden. Go south-south-east for a month and a half and you will find more guides there! You better hope you're not afraid of spiders!" The old man cackles out before flicking his hand out, the rest of the party being propelled back out the door by an invisible force and the door slamming shut and *locking*.

What happened from there? Who really knows. The catastrophic events are still happening, two months after the party was last seen, and there's no sign of them stopping. But, one has to ask themselves...is it really such a bad thing? These have happened before, where the world re-shapes itself, old life is cast away so a new, superior form can take place. It's only the old life's resistance that makes it such a 'painful' event.

Me? I'll be waiting in the sidelines, no matter the outcome, it won't be bad for me. And I'm really craving a ham sandwich...

<End of story>

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:

I have a tendency to try to cram in as many references as I can while making sense, into my RP, and while I like to think I'm a good RPer and writer, I recognize that I'm horrible when having to come up with things on my own and work way easier when I have something to start off with.

As a final note I'm pretty sure I had posted my introduction a few days ago but it's gone unanswered while others who I know posted theirs after me were almost immediately approved. I don't want to come off as obnoxious but it made me think that maybe I didn't post my introduction at all, so I'm re-submitting it. Apologies if it's just taking a little long to go through it.
Hello there, Keurkan! Welcome to Conquest of the Horde!

I looked through the other sub-boards around here and couldn't find another introduction by you. It hadn't been denied and there were none in queue, so you may've forgotten to post it earlier or some kind of forum error ate it when you attempted it. Good thing you posted it again, since I've been wondering when you'd stop lurking and introduce yourself. :P I've seen you in the online list several times, so it got me wondering!

That said, it's a lovely introduction and it shows a lot of forethought and effort, in my eyes. Thank you for a great introduction and story!

Remember to register your in-game account in the Account Management page with the exact information you registered your forum name under.

As per standard approval procedure, I'm going to link you to a few nice places that it certainly doesn't hurt if you double-check and make yourself extra familiar with. These are the Rules and Policies, as well as the FAQs. They've got a bunch of vital information in them.

Without further ado, welcome to the server and I hope we'll see you around!

Happy RPing!

Love,
GM Loxmardin