Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: ROLL ORDERS!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am writing this a bit annoyed and very confused due to an RP combat that was 7 VS 1. There was NO clear order during this fight so I decided to make this post, the ENTIRE fight was confusing and annoying, not just to me.

Therefore, IF you are having an RP fight with several VS 1, make sure to set a roll order BEFORE you fight, by rolls or by whatever you want.

I am taking a 2 VS 1 fight here in example, A and B VS C. First C attacks, then B, then C again and then A, then C, then B until one or more people die, are incapitated or what have you.

I really hope such confusing will be prevented in the future by deciding on a FRIGGING roll order BEFORE THE FIGHT!
[Image: RAAAAGE.jpg]
There were quite a few flaws about that RP, if I may be honest, apart from a non-existing 'turn' system.

Character(s) near-death 'suddenly disappeared'. After attacking seven or so Blood Knights.
Character(s) who got hit with a pyroblast casually got up and dusted themselves off.
All right, I'm going to ask that people not post in this with rage-filled comments. The first post could probably have used better, less frustrated wording, and the "punch the computer" pic is definitely not needed.

Take a breather, this sounds like some folks have a personal issue with one another over an RP, and that's not very suitable for a public forum.
Yeees, that can be pretty frustrating to not know what's goin' on -- especially in something like combat. In the future (this goes for participants as well as leaders of the event) make sure that there's clear communication before the start so everyone knows who goes where. If necessary (and I find this very helpful) the individual leading the combat can announce the individuals who need to act when it is their turn. In lieu of the leader, an assistant can be used.

For those not currently in the action, make sure you're being patient and waiting your turn. :)
I've noticed in events people have started to forgo initiative rolls and have started to have people roll in willy-nilly order. This too is something I've had qualms over, however I've always taken it with a grain of salt because I know personally gathering the rolls/initiative of a large group of people can be frustrating.

In this scenario, it might have been a better option to discuss what was going on in party, rather than getting angry about it on the forums. I can understand being frustrated over something, but wording it impartially and nicely will serve you better in the long run rather than getting angry about it or bitter.

This is me echoing everyone else, but "Communication is key." While yes, you were confused, voicing it then and there nicely would probably serve you a lot better than trying to call out people on the forums. We are all part of a community here, and most people are receptive when approached kindly.
For a large number of players, I tend to forgo roll initiative and use the order of players as I see them in raid (like group 1, then group 2, usually having 3 players attack at a time). A custom order based on rolls sometimes means sorting out 15-20 numbers, and constantly checking a spreadsheet which can be tedious and time consuming.

I think if you have 5 or less players then rolling for order works, but otherwise I would use the raid interface to keep track of people's turns.
My apologies, I was indeed a bit frustrated when I made the original post and I know I should've worded it differently. Not really a good excuse though. The point of the original post to make people aware to make a roll/attack order before the start of combat to avoid such frustration and confusion.
Is that our situation?
I need to point out that roll orders are very important when doing that sort of events. Trust battles are a mess, and you can't just go PvP and emote slashing at everything, it just doesn't work. You don't need to roll for initiative, but you need to have a good understanding on rolling in an event. There are tutorials in here about how to lead them, I'm sure, I'm glad to explain if there isn't; but roll orders are important.

I recently was in an event that was pretty interesting, but that had no structure at all. It was confusing and I had to DM the battle, which is something I don't like doing, but otherwise it would have been a mess. :c If you aren't sure of your abilities, why not attending a few events yourself? You'll learn more things that way, and reproduce them in your own events..and those events will be enjoyable.

As for players dusting themselves off a pyroblast...the GMs and certainly the players need to watch out. Know your characters' strengths. And do understand that your character being wounded doesn't mean it's bad or anything. In fact, some of the best character developments you might have will come from being less than heroic and not shrugging that sword in your chest off on the whim of a roll.

It's hard to do good events, but it's not impossible. We're a community, if a DM is in serious trouble and is going particularly bad in their eventing, just point them out and try to help them (and if a player begins to act like a god or something too)...Though if you only have minor concerns, try not to interrupt the event, I think it's pretty rude to stop a DM during the session. ^_^ But if you don't give feedback and only act enragedly, don't wonder when the DM shields away and doesn't learn from their mistakes.

My two cents :/