Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Languages: Is this possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I was thinking perhaps it may be possible script-wise, say someone has a special character that for some reason speaks X language. Now, the base game allows you to switch between languages, but only Common/Orcish and your racial language.

What I'm saying is would it be possible to force a character to have to option of switching to that language? Like, script wise, adding the option of having that language.

I think this'd be a cool addition to the server and would make things interest for multilingual characters.
Usually players simply use tags to indicate that the individual is speaking another language. For instead, a player would actually write out "[Thalassian] I'm not speaking Common" to indicate directly that the character is speaking Thalassian or "<I'm not speaking Common>" for any foreign language directly (any language that isn't implied to be Common or Orcish, at least).

I do caution against having a character who speaks multiple languages with fluidity unless that character actually actively studies language--mostly in that not all races are willing to let others take up their language. A human who speaks Dwarven, Gnomish, Darnassian, Draenei, Orcish, and Thalassian with native fluency will raise a lot of brows. On the other hand, it's possible your dwarf may know gnomish or your draenei knows some orcish (because lore supports interracial interaction in that race's history).
I find the actual function to be much more interesting, so people can't quickly metagame knowing a little X language just to be able to remark on what they're saying. If this feature is even remotely possible, I'd love to know as it could be something I want to apply for with a future character. Or, even, donate for, if it's that much trouble.
As of right now, the current rule on the server is that players can claim to know a language that is not in their arsenal, however it is not enforced that they know it. We don't plan on giving players the option to have access to the OOC mechanic for the languages, as that would force others to accept, say, a human speaking thalassian.
If one had an approved special profile saying they speak Thalassian, then they'd have to accept it, wouldn't they?
They would not, nope. We do not enforce it one way or the other. It is up for the players involved to decide that.
So someone can simply defy RP that has been established over time?
It can be explained as them using a different dialect, speaking to fast or perhaps having too heavy of an accent to understand. Normally if you ask before-hand if everyone is fine with it, then most will accept it. The only situation I can think of it being refused is when trying to get into a conversation being held off to the side.
In general asking nicely will never fail you. I RP several polygots, and every time I just ask nicely OOC for people to use brakets and they do. Hell, most folk use brackets by default anyway, just so people can follow the discussion OOCly.