Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Flying mount upon character creation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes, one can send gold between approved characters to buy a mount, and flight training is free. But for new players and new players of Grunts+, getting a flying mount is still a chore, or even a bit embarassing, if one has to bum some gold off of someone else.

This would promote diverse roleplay, as it would make everything equally accessible and convenient. The three biggest concerns I have, of course, are that we would have to make sure that people wouldn't sell the mount for free gold instead of using it, and making sure people don't abuse the mount for IC shenanigans. The third being a matter of level, as only special mounts are available for use at level 60, and a lot of these are awefully flashy. This issue would be up to GM/Admin judgement on how to handle. These problems can be dealt with fairly easily, and if the potential for IC abuse worries some, A message stating, "X Mount is for OoC purposes only," could be put in rotation for the regular server announcements.
Maybe one of the more simple mounts? Such as the common gryphon/windrider, not the epic ones but the starter ones. Perhaps make them free or a reduced price?
Same with the normal horses/wolves? But not the epic ones.

Just an idea.
Kretol is unable to adjust vendor prices, as a note. Not for items that already exist. Considering all approved characters get 1k gold upon a ding to 85, I don't really see how mounts are that huge of an issue. The most expensive one I can think of is the death knight mount, which still is 950g. All training is free beyond professions.
I think it is more of a technical issue, people without mounts have a harder time rping in out of the way locations without the hike... Avacyn forbid the RP is in an area only accessible via flight.
So it is more of an issue for a peon, or perhaps a grunt who has no characters he/she wants to profile and is out of them precious gold pieces.
(07-28-2013, 04:46 PM)Reigen Wrote: [ -> ]Kretol is unable to adjust vendor prices, as a note. Not for items that already exist. Considering all approved characters get 1k gold upon a ding to 85, I don't really see how mounts are that huge of an issue. The most expensive one I can think of is the death knight mount, which still is 950g. All training is free beyond professions.

Maybe it'd be possible to, instead of letting people buy the item, creating a trainer that teaches the mount "spells" instead? Mind you, I have no idea how prices for them work (and if they're adjustable)... Then again, that does remove the race restrictions too... Maybe a custom scroll item that adds certain mounts instead (like what happened with the Worgen racials)?
(07-28-2013, 04:57 PM)Brutalskars Wrote: [ -> ]I think it is more of a technical issue, people without mounts have a harder time rping in out of the way locations without the hike... Avacyn forbid the RP is in an area only accessible via flight.
So it is more of an issue for a peon, or perhaps a grunt who has no characters he/she wants to profile and is out of them precious gold pieces.

There is item for free that can assist in players getting to those locations, I believe it is called Soulshard of Summoning. And for mounts, you could say they are dirt cheap since server rates are quite high. Complete few quests on outlands with heirloom gear and you will have enough for a mount. Usually training is one with large price, but since training here is for free I really do not see a problem.
Just add the magic broom back to the GMI mount vendor. Boom.
Argent Tourney dailies are a good way to get monies.
If there was some way to do it, I'd be all for it.

That being said, this is a Kretol thing.
Although, when you think about it, giving a new player enough gold to buy a few flying mounts is equivalent to or even less than the amount of gold it took to buy them bronze tokens. Additionally, since players' characters now start out at level 60, they can do quests that give a higher reward than if they were lower levels. But this is if they're intent on not writing profiles and attaining gruntship.

That being said, I suppose it would be nice to see some vendors that sell flying mounts put on GMI to save the trip of going to Stormwind or Orgrimmar to get one.
For those who don't follow the coth twitter:

Quote:Server recently restarted to apply a rev update. In addition, all characters should now start with all needed riding skills and a broom!

Rejoice!