Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: What Should I Do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(Spoiler'd for profanity)

Spoiler:

I don't know what to do. Bella has pretty much died RP wise... I need new RP, or new characters - which is not easy for me to make!

What should I do?

Should I make new characters? Should I rejuvenate Bella RP?

Should I join a guild? Should I accept my role as the bad guy? Or should I just disappear?

What should I do, guys?

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!
For the Horde!

That's my advice... though I am notoriously biased in regards to suggestions.
(Don't worry Nikodemos, I've got your back. A little reverse psychology...heh heh...they'll never see it coming.)

*cough*

Roll Alliance.
To be honest, the Horde is completely dead which is upsetting. For Role-play, I'd just switch to Alliance. Though, that doesn't mean you can't play on your Hordies character, enroll the character in events and such. Just casual RP for Hordies is dead.
Yeah, and making more Alliance characters is so going to fix that.
I dunno about you, but my Tauren gets pretty constant RP. Stop complaining about there not being Horde RP, for the love of all that is holy I'm gonna...
I get loads of Horde RP! Make a Horde! :)
Yes, instead of complaining about the lack of Horde RP and playing Alliance, lets roll Horde and maybe then there'd be more Horde players.
The Horde is far from dead. Come rp with Daichi sometime.
As a fair warning, I'm going to wander a bit, both on- and off-topic. This is also certainly going to be biased. The post isn't specifically aimed at you, @Nymus, but everyone with the same problem.

The fact is that Horde RP isn't dead. There are plenty of Horde characters. There's plenty of Horde cities. The problem is, you gotta make an effort to get Horde RP. It exists. You just gotta work for it to get it, sometimes. That applies to all RP, really. It's not dead. It's just that you gotta work for it to get it. If you're not willing to work to get RP, then nobody can help you.

What defines work, in this instance?

Making an effort to try out something new - or going back to something that's already been tested and tried, and work on it. Alliance RP has become the new Blood Elf RP. Why was Blood Elf RP so popular? Why is Alliance RP so popular? Because it is easy to get. The work's already been done by others to establish a foundation for the rest of us to build on. The Horde may look like it lacks the same, to some.

Personally, I recently created a Tauren character after getting inspired by a character played by Maulbane. As we all know, Tauren RP is apparently dead, but we began RPing in spite of this. I went with something tried and tested, while adding traits of my own to make the character mine and unique . . . And you know what I realized? When I'd made the effort, getting RP with the Tauren felt very rewarding. I loved it. This isn't the first time I've rolled a Tauren, either. I've rolled countless Tauren ever since I joined the server two years ago. None of them stuck with me for more than a few hours. None of them seemed to bring me any enjoyment. I don't know what I did differently this time, but perhaps it was simply the fact that I had a few friends who were willing to work with me and RP. You'd think that after two years, I would've known by now how making a Tauren is futile, but for some reason I can't explain, it wasn't this time. That's the beauty of storytelling and roleplaying. You are surprised.

Try out some concepts. Start simple, then add something to it to make it different. For instance, I made my Tauren's disability reflect his behavior - or is it the other way around? Was he affected by the loss of his leg? That way, something apparently cosmetic suddenly got meaning to the character. It made him differ from the bland concept of Old Tauren Shaman. Perhaps he was a very different man before his injury.

If you do a little bit of work, and get someone who will RP with you, who will also work with you, you can get results. In the case of Alliance RP, much work has already been done. Now it's the time to work for the Horde RP. If we try to make the Horde RP entertaining for each other by creating characters to play with together, we can help each other find the characters we will hold onto. By working to create our little piece of the whole, we can together assemble the final product: Good, entertaining Horde RP.

Lok'tar!

TL;DR:

Spoiler:
There is no TL;DR. I do believe my advice can help you, but it'll require work on everyone's part.
(08-09-2013, 01:57 AM)Zhaei Wrote: [ -> ]Make a Horde!

*fake cough* Conquest of the Horde.
I'd like doing some orc RP. Like a giant clan of orcs.
(08-09-2013, 02:11 AM)Rowgen Wrote: [ -> ]As a fair warning, I'm going to wander a bit, both on- and off-topic. This is also certainly going to be biased. The post isn't specifically aimed at you, @Nymus, but everyone with the same problem.

The fact is that Horde RP isn't dead. There are plenty of Horde characters. There's plenty of Horde cities. The problem is, you gotta make an effort to get Horde RP. It exists. You just gotta work for it to get it, sometimes. That applies to all RP, really. It's not dead. It's just that you gotta work for it to get it. If you're not willing to work to get RP, then nobody can help you.

What defines work, in this instance?

Making an effort to try out something new - or going back to something that's already been tested and tried, and work on it. Alliance RP has become the new Blood Elf RP. Why was Blood Elf RP so popular? Why is Alliance RP so popular? Because it is easy to get. The work's already been done by others to establish a foundation for the rest of us to build on. The Horde may look like it lacks the same, to some.

Personally, I recently created a Tauren character after getting inspired by a character played by Maulbane. As we all know, Tauren RP is apparently dead, but we began RPing in spite of this. I went with something tried and tested, while adding traits of my own to make the character mine and unique . . . And you know what I realized? When I'd made the effort, getting RP with the Tauren felt very rewarding. I loved it. This isn't the first time I've rolled a Tauren, either. I've rolled countless Tauren ever since I joined the server two years ago. None of them stuck with me for more than a few hours. None of them seemed to bring me any enjoyment. I don't know what I did differently this time, but perhaps it was simply the fact that I had a few friends who were willing to work with me and RP. You'd think that after two years, I would've known by now how making a Tauren is futile, but for some reason I can't explain, it wasn't this time. That's the beauty of storytelling and roleplaying. You are surprised.

Try out some concepts. Start simple, then add something to it to make it different. For instance, I made my Tauren's disability reflect his behavior - or is it the other way around? Was he affected by the loss of his leg? That way, something apparently cosmetic suddenly got meaning to the character. It made him differ from the bland concept of Old Tauren Shaman. Perhaps he was a very different man before his injury.

If you do a little bit of work, and get someone who will RP with you, who will also work with you, you can get results. In the case of Alliance RP, much work has already been done. Now it's the time to work for the Horde RP. If we try to make the Horde RP entertaining for each other by creating characters to play with together, we can help each other find the characters we will hold onto. By working to create our little piece of the whole, we can together assemble the final product: Good, entertaining Horde RP.

Lok'tar!

TL;DR:

Spoiler:
There is no TL;DR. I do believe my advice can help you, but it'll require work on everyone's part.

This post rocks, so I ain't gonna try and outshine it, but supplement it with my dumb, stupid words that nobody should ever read god I'm so awful

So, Horde RP. What a bag of shenanigans! I think there are a couple of reasons that cause it to founder so much. The first being the fact that so little people play Horde to begin with. It's circular logic, but it's true - people don't play because people don't play, causing people already playing to play less and then not be inclined to play because nobody's playing anymore. But I think the second reason is the cause of the players not playing playfully in the first place, which is the bane of all these troubles.

The second reason is, really, Horde's just harder to relate to. Worgen and Humans make up the brunt of Alliance players, which in turn make up the brunt of CotH players - there's really no mystery as to why this is. I can say with certainty that at least 99% of CotH players share their DNA with Humans in some way or another, and though they aren't werewolves, they're wer (it's an etymology joke don't hurt me). It can be hard to see eye-to-eye with a race that are essentially giant green warriors based around hints of African tribal culture, and harder still with fuzzy blue Jamaicans, or Native American cowmen/women. This, I think, is why Blood Elves so often weigh so heavily in the Horde.

But I think that that simply ain't good enough. We're RPers, masters of make-believe, and if you seriously tell me that you can't get into the mind of some of the more simply-designed races that high fantasy has to offer then I'm a little worried. Always punish yourself for having a comfort zone - roll a Night Elf, arguably the hardest race to RP correctly (as I don't know anybody who's actually lived past a thousand IRL), or an Orc, and try to RP them correctly. You can do it - it just takes some doing.

Something that can certainly help is simply getting out there and doing things. There's a fear of the unknown - I know that I tend to fall back on others, wondering whether I can reasonably be RPing here or there on this particular character - but sometimes you just have to do it. See Tauren RPing in Thunder Bluff, and want in? Roll a Tauren (provided you don't have some PREJUDICE AGAINST TAUREN, LOOKING AT A FEW OF YOU). See NElves hanging out in Astranaar? That's a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity, kid, get out of that tavern.

Telling people how to RP never ends well - this isn't for people who don't want to do these things, it's for people who feel that they can't do it or don't have the means to. You have both!

Part of me hopes you had the common sense to not read a Maulbane-post, but maybe I tricked a few of you.
Rowgen and Maulbane copied all that from me. +1