Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: As a favor to my friend, a question about Tyrande
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a friend of mine who played Warcraft 3, and he was having a good time. He made it to the night elf campaign and he absolutely hated Tyrande. He hated her to the extent that he gave up on Warcraft and blizzard. He just hated her, Cenarius as well. No love for the night elf characters. He describes Tyrande as a, and I quote, " stupid blood thirty b***h" (to give you an idea how extreme he sees her, he sees Grom Hellscream as knowledgeable, strong but hot headed). So he wants me to ask, do you guys love Tyrande and if so why? (emphasis on the why)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to troll, my friend really wants to know. His name is Will, he exists, I know I pick on elves ALOT but I am asking this for his sake. Do not take offense, do not cry, just answer the question.
I think she's made her mistakes. She isn't my favorite lore figure. But, I don't understand what you or your friend are referring to. The initial repelling of the orcs? I'm all for that. I don't think the elves had seen any other entity at that time. Here's these green skinned things, powered by demonic forces (yes, Hellscream drank demon blood to overcome Cenarius) chopping down their home.

After what your people (the night elves) overcame so many millenia ago against the Legion when it split the world apart, would you be so willing to forget? Night elves have very long memories.
She's my least favorite lore figure. She was okay in Warcraft 3, but everything about her in WoW has broken her for me. A human teaching her patience. Bleh.

She's a weak leader, despite being stubborn as a mule and charismatic enough to command people's respect.
In all honesty I liked Illidan and Kael most. But when I saw the tauren. I wished I had a whole race in WC3 simply dedicated to the tauren, then I learned of worgen in cata. Anyway to answer your question. I found Tyrande boring and bland. Any change from her brought me happiness. She wasn't a very fun character/hero to play in WC3. I prefered more the orc side of the heroes aka the orc campaign.
(08-10-2013, 04:31 PM)Xigo Wrote: [ -> ]A human teaching her patience. Bleh.

Please stop reminding me about this.

Tyrande was not a great character in WC3. She got worse over time in WoW and the expansions. But she has been and will be better than Grom Hellscream.
(08-10-2013, 04:37 PM)Mathias Wrote: [ -> ]Tyrande was not a great character in WC3. She got worse over time in WoW and the expansions. But she has been and will be better than Grom Hellscream.

This, really.

In WC3, Tyrande wasn't a bad character. The worst I could say about her there is that she was a bit bland, but that's about it. Her actions were all logical from what she knew at the time (Nelves being xenophobic and demon-tainted orcs choppin' their trees, she's going to fight back.) The expansion got a little silly with her being suddenly in the distressed damsel role needing rescue by two men, but she was otherwise at least a positive example of a strong female character.

Grom, on the other hand...

There's a reason that, despite loving orcs with every fiber of my being, I am at best indifferent to 99% of their lore figures (seriously, the only one I can say I legitimately like is Nazgrel.) The worst part here is with Grom Hellscream, who immediately goes axe-crazy and starts drinking demon blood the moment he's away from Thrall. Hot-headed is one thing, but he never managed to come off as intelligent or honorable through-out the story of WC3. He did a bunch of awful, misguided things and then supposedly redeemed his entire life of badness by killing a demon. I mean, it's nice that he managed to do that to end the blood curse, but calling him a hero in any description given everything else he did seems odd to me.

That storyline, combined with the main stories in Cataclysm and MoP, leads me to believe that Blizzard thinks one thing: orcs are moronic mouth-breathers that are either so stupid or incompetent that they can't do anything right unless the human-raised Jesus-orc is leading them. The moment Thrall is not there, it's like every orc acts in the most ridiculously bloodthirsty and idiotic manner possible.

I love orcs. I'm one of the biggest orc fans ever. Yet I pretty much liked all of the elf characters in WC3 more than the two orc ones.
She's not bland. A High Priestess with supreme martial skills. She also leads battles. Has a dope tiger mount. Risks her life for Night Elves. Apparently, crazy hot. Wut?
(08-10-2013, 05:16 PM)Kull Wrote: [ -> ]She's not bland. A High Priestess with supreme martial skills. She also leads battles. Has a dope tiger mount. Risks her life for Night Elves. Apparently, crazy hot. Wut?

Eh, "strong warrior-woman" is kind of a fantasy staple these days, to be honest. One can thank Xena for that. In terms of personality, she really doesn't display much of one in WC3.

Also, I don't think her alleged hotness really makes her a better character. Attractiveness is subjective and it doesn't make a character better or worse. She's not my type, anyway. Tongue
Tyrande's cool. But you're right she's not flavorful like Illidan or something.
[Image: ruff_head.jpg]

(if you watch Zero Punctuation you'd get this :D )
I love just about every species in the setting, even the kobolds...

My favorite lore figures are Gul'dan, Arthas, Deathwing, - I can list many that I like for awhile.

I understand the dislike of Tyrande though, at first glance if you are not someone that knows Night Elven lore, her actions can seem... Silly.
But she acted according to who she is portrayed as.
And besides, everyone knows she was still second best while Azshara was still a supra-sexy elven woman. :3
To start from the beginning, on why Tyrande is awful...

-Before the WotA she forced Illidan and Malfurion to fight over each other for her affection
-She knew she wanted to be with Malfurion, but egged Illidan on regardless
-She let him commit atrocities while he was trying to get her attention (Leaguing up with Sargers, creating the new Well of Eternity, using magic in the first place, etc. etc.), because she kept leading him on.
-After all that, she ended up tearing the brothers apart even further, letting Malfurion throw Illidan in prison for 10,000 years
-She took the title of High Priestess from Maiev, despite Maiev having been groomed for the title
-Got rid of Maiev, and had her go and deal with that mess of an Elf Illidan for 10,000 years.
-Autocratic Dictator with Malfurion under her thumb
-Decides for their entire race, alongside Malfurion, that every Elf will be put into certain castes and gender roles
-With Malfurion gone, she's the sole ruler
-Eventually decides that Illidan's crimes weren't that bad
-Goes to Maiev, the person whose job she stole; Kills all her friends, releases Illidan, and basically robs her of her life's meaning once more
-Lets Illidan think he has a chance with her again
-Gets in trouble, lets Illidan save her, no thanks given
-Could totally sign treaty with Horde and Cenarion Circle to let Wisps collect timber, but doesn't
-Says, "Magic is terrible! Death to any that use it!" then about faces, and lets the Highborne back into Darnassus
-Learned patience from a Human
-Incredibly stuck up
-Decided to go ahead and drop any real Night Elf tradition, and get married in a human ceremony
-Inept at her job as ruler. Let Fandral head the druids, prolongs an unnecessary war in Ashenvale, super brash, inconsistent, and basically lets everyone else fight her fights for her.

Some of those are a bit more valid than others, but that about sums up my views on her I guess.
Speaking of Maiev, despite having Blizzard go SHE'S A VILLAIN SHE'S A VILLAIN, has she actually done something that isn't justified? I think she's pretty consistent.
General Consensus: BESIDES THAT ONE TIME AGAINST GROM IN ASHENVALE, Tyrande sucks.

So...we almost agree with your friend?
..I noticed absolutely nothing about Tyrande in WC3 other than her irritatingly skimpy clothing, loud and typically angry voice, and cheesy "my love" dialogue with Malfurion.
Malfurion was okay.
Maiev is the reason I want to have a warden character.

To add onto a few list of reasons why Tyrande's .. callous.
-Murdered a random Paladin once just because she, "felt his presence defiled the forest."
Pages: 1 2 3