Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Temporary characters for events
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There's a lot of really neat events and guilds and the likes going on in CotHland, not all of which I actually have a character that could go in a direction to participate in them. This is disappointing for me, as I would love to show my fellow users support in their endeavors. I also like events and would, at some point, enjoy hosting them myself, but don't really have a schedule predictable enough to do so regularly.

So, I did a little thinking, and came up with a possibility that would let me stick my nose into RP places I might not normally go, support other users' events and get a taste of DM's perspective in an event. And that is to offer up my service as a temporary character/NPC to peoples' events whenever I should be available. Healing sick civilians? I could provide a character or two to be blessed in your event. Need a few thugs to do some dirty work, or act as guards against a thievery-themed event? I could do that. Plenty of evil characters could use some people to ritual at, and I wouldn't be surprised if even the most well-meaning DK snapped and took out a complete stranger, much to the detriment of their own sanity.

We already see this sort of thing in effect at times on the server, such as being able to apply for event CMCs, and when a GM will come and spice things up with some surprise puppetry to make the world come alive. (which I love btw, GM peeps) The thing is, every CotH user has the tools to give off a similar effect, so I figure why not do so? Personally, I'd like to get a discussion going about this being a bit more of a thing, so that we are all on the same page on the matter.[/b]

What I'd like to hear from you:

To everyone: How do you feel about the idea? (questions/feedback appreciated)

To DMss/event coordinators: would you like other users to play event-specific characters for you?

To everyone: would you be interested in providing this service for others?
I tried a a thing. Didn't get a huge response. But you could always try a thing.

However, I could warn you about a lot of things that arise out of rolling disposable characters for other people, both IC and OOC.
Dae Wrote:To everyone: How do you feel about the idea? (questions/feedback appreciated)

I think the idea is a very good idea as both a DM and someone who sometimes just doesn't have characters to throw into some events but still wants to attend myself. It's a sound idea, and so long as it's not breaching anything huge like someone deciding OH LOL RANDOM GUARD TO ARREST PEOPLE, I think it could go well. But in the end, it's the admin's decision.

Dae Wrote:To DMss/event coordinators: would you like other users to play event-specific characters for you?

This sort of thing is always something that can be either help or hinder. It could be a help because you'd have something to represent the peeps that aren't there but are totally there when you forgot to have the GMs spawn someone or something like that. However, it could also be a hindrance because while someone may create a helpful NPC corporal for that event, it may not always feel right the responses that the NPC does if they either misunderstand your instructions on the NPC or do something that may throw them off the 'average NPC' route. While that may not always be the case, it would likely happen a large amount of the time. That feedback in specific was only for the types of events I run, so I won't comment on random NPCs in citizen-y or not-all-combat oriented events.

Dae Wrote:To everyone: would you be interested in providing this service for others?

I would be glad to provide this service to others if time permitted. If anyone wanted to ask, I'd be glad to randomly create something or just throw one of my lesser characters into it.
Following along with Geoni's post, I am also in on Project Villain. My link can be found in my signature below.

That being said, I think the idea is great. I feel like it gives players a way to help or participate in events even if their own long term characters might not fit in to the concept.

If I were to be DMing an event, I know I would find it helpful to have others to help guide and lead the action along, if nothing else, just to take a little of the burden of DMing off my own shoulders.

As I said before, I am already offering to provide a service like this with my Project Villain post.
(09-08-2013, 08:24 PM)Morhana Wrote: [ -> ]Following along with Geoni's post, I am also in on Project Villain. My link can be found in my signature below.

That being said, I think the idea is great. I feel like it gives players a way to help or participate in events even if their own long term characters might not fit in to the concept.

If I were to be DMing an event, I know I would find it helpful to have others to help guide and lead the action along, if nothing else, just to take a little of the burden of DMing off my own shoulders.

As I said before, I am already offering to provide a service like this with my Project Villain post.

What I'm talking about is a spur-of-the-moment thing, because at the moment I can't be there to coordinate events reliably and on schedule. Drop in, improv the character on the fly as necessary and have some fun while helping out others.

I've always liked concept of "temporary" characters that Geoni's been advocating for on this server for over a year now, but to be honest, I view Project Villian with too much respect to categorize as "a service like this." Where as I'd be playing the "Injured Draenei" or the "wretched Thug"s of the Cothverse, Project Villian seems to me as being about making the named big bad at the end of a questline. Its a project, that even in your own page is expected to span at least two events.

AKA: give yourself more credit; what I'm talking about here shouldn't detract from what you're doing. (unless a DM wants some really, really villains) :P
Temp and disposable characters can be fun and sometimes break out in their own regard!
Quote:I've always liked concept of "temporary" characters that Geoni's been advocating for on this server for over a year now, but to be honest, I view Project Villian with too much respect to categorize as "a service like this." Where as I'd be playing the "Injured Draenei" or the "wretched Thug"s of the Cothverse, Project Villian seems to me as being about making the named big bad at the end of a questline.

The whole project was meant for not just villains, but temporary characters as well. Which is why I said 'villain/temporary character'. Although, I think I used the word villain too often. But yeah, the whole project was about temporary characters for events and storylines that are likely to die or become of no use afterwards. However, I just went ahead and figured that it'd be villains that would be most frequently asked for, since smaller characters would usually just be detailed in a raid warning or emote.

It's not like I lay copywrite claims to the little service I came up with, and in the end, you're going to have to write the guidelines out according to your own offerings and how much organization you want behind it since this kind of thing will always be a service offered from specific players.

Edit: It's not as catchy, but I could always rename it 'Project Temporary Character'. :P
I've actually gone and edited my post, as well as my signature, to hopefully push the idea that I'm offering more than just villains. I've taken to naming it ProTemp.
Let me throw in my words on this.

Love it. Do it. I'll do it. People want help? Poke me. I love providing advancement for other characters. This is perfect.