Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: IC Laws?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now, this is another question thread to see what people think. How far do IC laws, such as laws set in towns, go? Sure, no fighting and no killing is easy. Could some towns have laws against guns, against...say...prostitution? Do those in the WoWUniverse even know what pro--
nevermind, not what I came here for. I have an idea for a character who travels and plays gambling games with those he encounters. Does anybody think that there could logically be some IC laws in some places against public gambling, or anything else that isn't usually considered when RPing?
Thoughts?
I like to think all IRL laws, in the medieval or renaissance exist in every town I just decide to do all illegal activities outside of Guard sight.
Now, it depends on how hardcore we want to go here. I generally base the ol' Kingdom of Stormwind as about late 1700s France because of a myriad of reasons, but there are actually a bunch of recorded laws regarding gambling from both the medieval and early modern periods, and they both really say the same thing - the kings and queens (and emperors and whatnot) all pretty much hated commoners gambling.

Richard I is known to have banned gambling amongst his troops unless they were of the rank of Knight or higher during 1190.

Here's a particularly juicy quote directed to Edward IV in 1478:

Quote:To the king our liege lord; the commons assembled in this present parliament pray, that where according to the laws of this land no person should play any unlawful games such as dice, quoits, football and similar games, but that every strong and able bodied person should practise archery because the defence of this land relies heavily on archers; contrary to which laws the said games and several newly invented games called closh, kayles, half-bowl, hand-in and hand-out, and checker-board are played daily in various parts of this land, both by persons of good repute and those of lesser estate, not virtuously-disposed, who fear neither to offend God by not attending divine service on holy days, nor to break the laws of this land, to their own impoverishment, and by their wicked incitement and encouragement they induce others to play such games so that they are completely stripped of their possessions and impoverished, setting a pernicious example to many of your lieges, if such unprofitable games are allowed to continue for long, because by such means many different murders, robberies and other most heinous felonies are frequently committed and perpetrated in various parts of this land, to the very great disquiet and trouble of many of your well-disposed lieges, and the unbearable loss of their goods: which players have daily been supported and favoured in their said misbehaviour by the officers and occupiers of various messuages, tenements, gardens and other places in which they play and pursue their said wicked and disgraceful games.

Honestly, it sounds like it could fit right into the House of Nobles, to me - especially following the efforts against transients ingame.

If we're going for later example, there's the fact that commoners were still outright banned from playing 'dice', etc, in the 1600s and 1700s of England, but the law was difficult to uphold due to having no real police force.

In Venice, around the same time, 'gambling houses' existed but were the subject of serious social (and political) ire, probably the same way they are today.

So, really, I think it's up to the player, but I'd say that in Goldshire and Stormwind (more appropriately, in public)? Ehh. Maybe not. It'd be fine to have a casual game - the guard's hardly got enough time to knock down doors or check every table in the Pig 'n' Whistle for people playing dice, but it'd probably be either illegal or discouraged in most Human lands (maybe Kul Tiras excluded - sailors love to gamble! :b)
As far as IC Laws go I think of them as mostly common sense.

For Example; Some of the more central villages in Azeroth (Country) might be more against weapons being in their town, but border villages like Darkshire might not care.

Sure, killing and fighting are most likely illegal, but fighting more so if it was a tavern brawl. I would imagine a friendly fight might not be too bad, as long as it was off to the side.

We don't really know of any illicit substances in WoW (with the exception of that bloodthistle the Elves are always on about), so there isn't much to go off of there. Even so snuff and other substances were commonplace in Ye Olde Days.

I also think the Horde is more lax about their laws. Clearly the Horde has a few, several aimed at the Darkspear (No cannibalism, treat ladies right/better).

Laws are just one of the side-things really.
Hm, guess we'll see how IC reactions range if and when I incorporate some gambling into my upcoming RP. Going to have a very nice troll who loves to play dice.
Gambling doesn't seem like it would be a problem.
That seems completely normal and acceptable for a troll. In fact, I can see that being a facet of Loa and their worship. Not necessarily dice, but making gambles and risks and such.
I was trying to dig up some information and find out if there actually is a lore that takes over the luck-side of things. Like...a gambling troll, it's only logical they pray to the Loa of Luck. But...is there a Loa of Luck? I can't find anything so far. Closest I can find is Loa of Prosperity.
There are all kinds of minor spirits and Loa, unnamed.
When it comes to the Horde, I don't see anything wrong with gambling, really. I mean, hell, the Goblins are part of the Horde now, right?
Yeah, I'm thinking the gambling thing is totally fine. Glad I could get a better idea about things on this thread. Now that we're here, anybody got any other specific laws they'd like to inquire about as far as IC bounds go? It is interesting to hear the verdict for some of them.
Orcs have a super-communal, tribal way of life (even now with stinky Garrosh), so I think most issues in their society would be resolved by adjudicators (probably Shamans or veterans) and/or just having a pow-wow, really. Maybe in Orgrimmar, where it's a melting pot of people and cultures, the grunts would handle disputes and stuff, but otherwise it seems pretty chilled out. Tauren would be the same way, in my mind - with a few subtle differences that it's too early in the morning for me to think about. Humans are easy because they're based on IRL Humans, and Dwarves seem like they'd have a lot in common with Norse laws, and the Scandinavians usually either fined out outlawed people from what I can find, which... Really, kinda fits.

All conjecture, but I'll be damned if some of it doesn't stick.
Well, since you mentioned prostitution...

Humans - Likely illegal, especially with the influence of the church.

Gnomes - Probably not really a thing.

Dwarves - Same.

Draenei - Likely a highly foreign concept.

Night Elves - Same as the Draenei.

Worgen - ...Well, they used to be human, so I'll put them under the 'human' view.

Orcs - Probably an unknown or foreign concept, though a very downtrodden orc(ette) might take it up in a goblin settlement.

Trolls - With the subjugation of women until recently, it might not be all that unkown. Other than that, see orcs.

Goblins - ...They're goblins, come on. They sell everything.

Forsaken - If...prostitution can be defined as the selling of the body...uh...they may not need that arm?

Blood Elves - A very decadent society, there are likely consorts both high and low class. Perhaps it's illegal on paper, but I don't imagine it being terribly enforced.

Tauren - A foreign concept.
Good insight. Now let's wander across the other side of the border. As far as "drugs" (narcotics, etc) are concerned. What think? Do guards, cities, towns, know about these things and their negative (or positive) effects on people, thus banning/allowing them? What could we think about that as far as IC is concerned?
As a note with Blood Elf, I don't see an issue with the more civilized prostitution (See Companions from Firefly)

As for drugs? I'd say guards are very much against them. At least with Blood elves, but that's from past rps I've had as such.
Pages: 1 2