Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Event Improvement: Two-Minute-Timer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys. A problem in the past (not sure how prevalent it is today) is the fact that people like to alt-tab during combat events! Which just drags everyone else down and really sucks for everyone else involve!

Thus, I want to bring up the idea for a 'two-minute-timer' to be a common practice. Essentially, when it's your turn or you're being attacked, you have a maximum of two minutes to respond. If you don't, you either miss your turn, or the attacker hits automatically.

"But Xigo, I take more than two minutes to write my emotes!"
Then you should really consider toning it down, chum. If it's taking you that long to write a single emote, then you're just dragging everyone else down!

"But what if an emergency comes up?"
Then give the event-runner a heads up instead of just poofing from the event.

Anywho. How would ya'll feel if a two-minute-timer started to become common in events?
I like this idea for larger events. Something I'll likely consider implementing. :3
To be short and say the least, I don't, and I won't implement it. However I don't DM in CotH (yet at least) so It's not really a problem for me.
I endorse this event or product

It's really annoying to have to wait like 5 minutes for something like:

Examplus unsheathes his flaming, enchanted sword, breathing heavily. He walks towards the Felstalker, each step sounding louder than the last. The Felhunter, wily and defensive, chitters it's appendages, seeming to know that it will meet it's maker soon. Examplus crashes down his sword into the demonic skull of the Felstalker, shattering it's bones and spraying gratuitous amounts of blood, covering the party behind him, as he pulls his bloodied sword out of the ruined cranium of the demon.

EVERY

FREAKIN'

TIME
But that also doesn't mean I'll protest against any DM that enforces a two-minute-timer.

I'm a slow person, and when I have two minutes to type out an emote, I start quaking in my boots. 'you'll drag everyone else down', no no no. Unless a certain DM just wanted a simple 'attempts to x to y.' then that upsets me.

(09-22-2013, 07:15 AM)Nymus Wrote: [ -> ]I endorse this event or product

Examplus unsheathes his flaming, enchanted sword, breathing heavily. He walks towards the Felstalker, each step sounding louder than the last. The Felhunter, wily and defensive, chitters it's appendages, seeming to know that it will meet it's maker soon. Examplus crashes down his sword into the demonic skull of the Felstalker, shattering it's bones and spraying gratuitous amounts of blood, covering the party behind him, as he pulls his bloodied sword out of the ruined cranium of the demon.

EVERY

FREAKIN'

TIME

It's better than:

kalamig throws a rock at the wolf.
There's a limit to how much you can type in one emote anyways and filling that up doesn't take long. Granted, a lot of people, including myself, will extend their emote to finish it off. But I'm all for this time limit because it keeps events movng smoothly.
I think that this is a good idea, and many event I have been to have gone even slower because some one was alt tabed. I am sure I have been guilty of it my self. Although, personally because of my dyslexia, sometimes I am slow to respond. I am usually checking all the spelling and grammar in my emote, and I am alt tabed in to google trying to figure out how to spell a word. (if you don't know google search is one of the best spell checks ever!)

So, what I suggest along with the timer, is that if the timer is running out and the person is truly working on their emote and needs more time they can send a quick "I am working on it" to get a 1 min extension or something.

Also, I will look into the raid alert system and see if I can can't come up with some addon for this.
(09-22-2013, 07:20 AM)Altaine Wrote: [ -> ]But that also doesn't mean I'll protest against any DM that enforces a two-minute-timer.

I'm a slow person, and when I have two minutes to type out an emote, I start quaking in my boots. 'you'll drag everyone else down', no no no. Unless a certain DM just wanted a simple 'attempts to x to y.' then that upsets me.

(09-22-2013, 07:15 AM)Nymus Wrote: [ -> ]I endorse this event or product

EVERY

FREAKIN'

TIME

It's better than:

kalamig throws a rock at the wolf.

There has to be a midground, like:

Kalamig pelts the rock at the wolf, aiming for it's eyes.

Granted, it isn't a huge, descriptive emote, but it's not a "Derp throws the Derp at Derp". It gets the point across with a bit of nice eloquence.
There is a problem with people alt-tabbing during an event.

However, some events? Some events it takes forever to get to your turn, and if you're not doing something else while in said event.. well.
(09-22-2013, 07:52 AM)Harmonic Wrote: [ -> ]There is a problem with people alt-tabbing during an event.

However, some events? Some events it takes forever to get to your turn, and if you're not doing something else while in said event.. well.

That's why I connected my WoW client to my Steam, so I can shift-tab and still keep an eye on the chatbox.
Don't do this. This just looks.. Rude. Really. "You took to long, auto damage~" Come on guys.

Tell people not to alt tab. That's a simple remedy.
The time it takes to get through turns us probably why many people alt tab in the first place. The timer keeps things running and encourages people to actually give attention to the event they are in. I approve of this timer idea!
Its going to take time no matter what. If people start enforcing a two minute timer on people who like to take time on what they write, it'll exclude them. I'm one of those people. This idea seems bad. Just bad. Please don't.
Generally when I'm alt-tabbing during an event...it's because the event is failing to keep my attention. I think it's less the player's fault and more so the fact that the event is doing just that - failing to be interesting enough and having enough going on to keep people's attention to the client rather than needing to alt-tab out to pass the time from turn to turn. I know someone asked me why I didn't attend Tol-barad and honestly that's the reason why. I'm not saying it's a bad event, more so that combat events just cannot hold my attention. They've always been, for me, alt tab out for 30 minutes, tab in just in time for the enemy to attack. Tab out for another 10, tab in for turn, rinse and repeat.

It's why I gush over Northwind/Skin Thieves 2 so much, because there was always something going on to keep my attention. If I tabbed out, I was going to miss something awesome and I just don't feel that many combat events can do that.

More so to the point: I'm both for and against a timer. I'm against the timer idea as it's proposed in a "You only have two minutes to type out an emote". I think longer emotes that show creativity should be encouraged and the last thing I want to do is rush people to make said emote. At the same time, it would be nice to have an indication that you're -there-. So, for a 'compromise' I'd suggest...

Two minutes to let the DM know you're typing/paying attention. Instead of typing out your emote first thing when your turn is called, you have two minutes to respond with 'I'm here and going to type'. I can't tell you how many times I thought a person wasn't there only for it to turn out they were in the middle of typing their emote. It's really handy to know before hand. If, by two minutes, they fail to indicate they're typing their response, then yeah, have them miss a turn/are auto hit.
I can agree with Reigen there. Two minutes to notify the DM you're emoting. Two minutes to emote is just a bad idea.
Pages: 1 2 3