Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Skype
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so this has been bothering me for a while. I am clueless.

Skype it self seems to, at times raise its processor consumption to 50%.

And my processor is an overclocked dual core 4.0GHZ. Mixed with music on youtube, wow and the like, the PC begins to lag mysteriously. I do not understand what is skype using all this for. It is just text and a couple of pictures really. Does anyone else have this? I find my self needing to exit skype in order to retain performance. Compared to playing Skyrim with fully moded HD textures and ENBs with no performance issues I find this odd.

But not only that, after I quit it, there is a skype process in the process tab, it is still there as if it duplicates. I am starting to think I perhaps have a virus. Ideas?
There was a Skype virus a while ago but if you had it, it would be sending all your contacts a file to spread. I'll try and walk you through checking for that Skype virus when I get home. I had it when it was big.

In the meantime, I would suggest doing a full uninstall. Delete whatever user settings and empty folders, and restart your PC. Run your usual assortment of programs to duplicate the sort of environment where you notice the lag. Check your processes and see if there's anything odd or even another Skype running.

If everything checks out then reinstall Skype and repeat the stress test. It could be a networking bottleneck but I am unsure if that would affect CPU performance.

Posted from my phone!
Being in many extremely active chat groups can weigh down on your computer's performance since the absorption of backlogs when you log on after a while is essentially the program downloading a lot of data down to your computer. A full uninstall should fix that, I believe, but you might also want to find the chat log file for Skype and remove it from the folder it originally sits in. The bigger that chat log file gets, the more Skype gets bogged down. ... And the longer you stay logged out, the more logs you'll come back to when you log back in.

Otherwise, Skype's just a very demanding program. Uninstalling/removing the current chat log file should probably help for a while, though.
The latest update of skype has turned the program into a major resource hog. Everyone I know lately has been experiencing memory leaks as well as crazy, crazy amounts of processor spikes. I had to uninstall it, and re-install an earlier version of the program to get it working normal.
I experienced the same exact problem. I couldn't run Skype because of the massive CPU usage.
I researched it. Skype's latest update causes a malfunction when running it alongside some versions of Windows, which causes the massive CPU usage. Simply uninstall Skype and manually download an earlier version (I believe I use v6.9).

Hope that helps.
(Beat you to it, Valicor.)
(01-06-2014, 07:24 AM)Loxmardin Wrote: [ -> ]you might also want to find the chat log file for Skype and remove it from the folder it originally sits in. The bigger that chat log file gets, the more Skype gets bogged down. ... And the longer you stay logged out, the more logs you'll come back to when you log back in.

Clearly they need to have a variable adjustment like Elephant. Single chats get a limit and each group gets their own setting. I blame the CotH group for all the lag!

Posted from my phone!
Thank you for responding everyone. As I thought the reinstall did nothing as I did this before and I do not really want to clean the logs every now and then. A link to the 6.9 version would be nice.
The logs are part of the issue. When you have years worth of logs, Skype has to process those all at the same time, as well. So it's healthy to prune your logs or make it so they only save three months worth, rather than save forever.
(01-06-2014, 10:51 AM)Reigen Wrote: [ -> ]The logs are part of the issue. When you have years worth of logs, Skype has to process those all at the same time, as well. So it's healthy to prune your logs or make it so they only save three months worth, rather than save forever.

Logs wouldn't cause the CPU's memory to leak like that. It'd cause skype to be slow, yes, and it's good practice to clear them routinely, however it wouldn't cause the CPU to spike like it does with the most recent update. The best way to get rid of this is to downgrade. Sorry dug, I wasn't able to find a specific or reliable download of 6.9, I'm actually using a quite older version myself.

When you do find something though, make sure to turn off automatic updates.