Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Soulstones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do we know of them? I went to the WoWpedia page and it told me literally nothing that I did not know. So, I'll ask a few questions.

Code:
[*]In Cataclysm, you can use a soulstone to resurrect somebody else in combat. Does this translate to IC, as well?
[*]Can soulstones be enchanted/have an illusion placed upon them, to seem as something else?
[*]What do they look like, anyways? Are they all black and purple, or can their looks variate?
[*]Could a soulstone cause a haunting? I.E., if someone's soul was in a soulstone, could their spirit leave the soulstone occasionally, or are the spirits trapped within the soulstone until they form a physical body?

Of course, any additional info you could provide on them would be much appreciated. These questions are more guidelines than anything else. I'd just like to learn about soulstones in general.
I've always pictured a soulstone to look like purple glass or a gem of some kind.
The thing with Soulstones is this;

They are used by NPC's (the only I can think of at the moment is a goblin on the Lost Isles), so that is something there.

I am unsure as to the combat rez, but I've always viewed them as a short term phylactery without the repercussions of it being broken. Sure, it would come with your normal rez sickness and what-have-you, but since it -is- shadow magic, I would imagine there to be a bit more to it.
I remember a post a real long time ago, some years back on the resurrection guide which basically went as follows (abridged edition!) :

- A soulstone can only store a soul for ten minutes when yanked form a body.
- The body must be mended before a soul is put back in. IE, if the person died from drowning, they'd need to be out the water and their lungs emptied and what not.
- It must be the same body - No body swappin' otherwise I'd be having a character of mine reading up on warlock books a long time ago.

Not sure this is still server cannon however, but lets aim for the questions.

- A soulstone is pretty much a giant soul shard made...shardless - Purpley Black goodness. I see nothing stopping one from painting it blue to disguise it however.
- If the server goes off the 'old rules' so long as the body was fit to be inhabited again, yup combat rezzes are viable.
- If the server still goes off the '10 minutes' thing, then 'hauntings' probably wouldn't be viable.

Hope that provides a lil' insight. Someone feel free to correct me if that rez policy on soul-stones changed.
[*]In Cataclysm, you can use a soulstone to resurrect somebody else in combat. Does this translate to IC, as well?

If your spellbook says it, you can do it! I was surprised to find that out as well, but hey.

[*]Can soulstones be enchanted/have an illusion placed upon them, to seem as something else?

I imagine so. Hide them to be a little trinket around your neck or some such.

[*]What do they look like, anyways? Are they all black and purple, or can their looks variate?

I go by what they show ingame, which is a purple orb with a shadow-y mist inside of them.

[*]Could a soulstone cause a haunting? I.E., if someone's soul was in a soulstone, could their spirit leave the soulstone occasionally, or are the spirits trapped within the soulstone until they form a physical body?

I'm not sure if they can or not, though it would make for an interesting storyline. I wouldn't be against it.
(01-06-2014, 12:21 PM)Avitz Wrote: [ -> ]I remember a post a real long time ago

Do you think you could find it?

Otherwise, thank you for all the responses. It's nice to have something to go on for these.
Pretty sure soulstones could res party members as far back as vanilla! I always saw it as a "safe" for your soul so if you die you can get back up again.

Actually, that's exactly what it is:

http://wowpedia.org/Soulstone_(item)

It used to be a conjured item before made into a straight spell.
You're right, Cappn. However, the soulstones had to be applied beforehand. I personally can't check, but under past changes, 4.10 at this page, it states that they can be used in combat to resurrect, which I believe means that they can be used without being applied beforehand.
(01-06-2014, 12:43 PM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2014, 12:21 PM)Avitz Wrote: [ -> ]snip

Do you think you could find it?

Here you go

http://www.conquestofthehorde.com/Thread...ines--6843

Turns out this doesn't seem to have ever been 'Coth Approved' But I've used these guidelines in the past for other resurrections.
(01-06-2014, 12:56 PM)Avitz Wrote: [ -> ]Here you go

Turns out this doesn't seem to have ever been 'Coth Approved' But I've used these guidelines in the past for other resurrections.

Huh. @Reigen or @anyotherGM, are these still in use?
Soulstone was turned into an instant 'battle ress', yes, but I believe that was more of a change of convenience, since they have been homogenizing the abilities a lot, taking off quite a bit of their flavour. Further, in MoP, they just got rid of the stone altogether. I just cannot imagine it working without being set up beforehand myself, since no soul was stored. Pretty confusing, unless you count the possibility of the Warlock trapping the spirit/soul before it leaves the body, or something like that.
(01-06-2014, 01:01 PM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2014, 12:56 PM)Avitz Wrote: [ -> ]Here you go

Huh. @Reigen or @anyotherGM, are these still in use?

Let me put it this way. I've never even heard of that guide. I imagine people could use that if they wanted too, but I do not believe its server supported. Soulstones are still around in MoP, as a note, and can work as they used to [cast on the target before hand] or used after to res.