Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Introducing: Thonorian
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:

This is an interesting one. Well, interesting relative to my perceptions, but of course yours may prove immensely different. This is the kind of thing that could probably be accounted for by entities greater than I. In any case, as a player I tend to put myself in to various roles while gaming. One could say that I'm a 'role' player. In all seriousness, no sentence I write outside of roleplay will start with those first three words there. Unless of course the situation calls for it.

....So then! I've been roleplaying for about five years now. I enjoy writing a great deal, and I'd very much like to be an author. I'm also a fan of thinking that I like talking to people, so roleplay is that happy medium where I'm capable of doing both at the same time.

If I were to say that I have any one goal when making a character, it's to make them sympathetic in spite of their other characteristics. I feel the most enjoyable sorts of characters are those that you can pat on the back so long as your patting them with a hand on the end of a six foot pole. If that makes sense.

The general (positive) results I tend to get from doing this usually bifurcate very extremely.
Either
a.) As intended, people will find my characters to be frustratingly distasteful in some ways, yet interaction is immensely rewarded not by sowing any seeds of hope for change, but rather by revealing a logical, understandable reasoning behind whatever seemingly irrational idiosyncrasies they possess.

Or
b.) People find the curious mannerisms and musings of my character entertaining, and as a result seek their company further.

As far as negative reactions go, I really can't say. Some people dislike my characters. I admit, all of them have unlikeable traits about them, but this is intentional; If everything tasted sweet no one would have any context for what sweet was, and they'd fail to appreciate it.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:

I am from the United States; my primary language is English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:

I played Warcraft II and III, then went on to buy WoW when it first came out. I'm a lore fiend about most things I get in to, though I can't claim to have an immensely extensive knowledge about Warcraft beyond what I've learned through playing. Well, I also know a lot about the Forsaken, since I'm a fan of Warcraft's undead in general.

How did you find us? Did anything in particular draw you to the server?:

I googled "Roleplaying Private Servers. " I think it was the name that drew me in. It had a neat ring to it, it was relative to the game, and it suggested that there's a level of lore development to step in to that I'd greatly appreciate.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:

I enjoy a wide range of roleplaying, and I've tried quite a bit. I enjoy fighting roleplays, and I enjoy romances. There's great fun in horror and mystery. I most typically use instant messenger services for 2-3 paragraph roleplaying, though Forum RP is by no means lost upon me.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:

The Forsaken Undead are my favorite race, and largely it has to do with their story. They aren't villains, and they certainly aren't heroes either. They simply wish to exist and propagate as any living being is meant to. There's something to be said for the fact that their focus is largely muddled up by little details scribbled in by the distracted living who are too worried about making sure everything but they themselves have been obliterated.

What are your expectations of this server?:

My expectations are fairly simple. I expect a stable server in which there is a small, lively community of friendly roleplayers with whom I can converse on a largely In Character basis.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:

Introduction is mandatory. I know it seems like an odd thing to favor, but it's the kind of thing that takes time out of an Admin's day, in other words, its existence is proof that the Admin/Mods care.

Did you know that we have a Mentor Program? It's entirely voluntary and you as a new player can sign up for it right now in your introduction! Are you interested in signing up to be assigned a Mentor? If so, say so here (Please enter at least "Yes" or "No"):

I...erh...Oh gosh I don't know. I'm going to say 'No'. It's not that I don't appreciate a helping hand, it's just that I largely get the sense that the 'mentor' program is meant for newer players, and I've been roleplaying for a while.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

The Revelation of The Fool

Pounding. Tapping. Turning. The eternal gears of the clock of time made a constant whirring noise that resonated throughout the air in a way that could only be described as an inexplainable translucence. To the mortal ear it was but a general sound, the noise of existing, of silence, of life. It allowed for one to hear their own existence, while hearing nothing physically at all.

The great knight looked up upon this clock in both awe and a stubborn curiosity, a curiosity that had lead him thus far. It was seven years ago that his journey began, and in those seven years there was more that happened to discover him than anything he could've ever imagined.

The king of All looked down upon this simple knight with an expression of forthright mirth upon his face. There was no escaping one who'd created all that is, unless of course said creator willed that the being escape.

So, when staring in to the face of the Universe, the sentient being that is, in fact, the Reality that had been created by the gods, what do you say? There is nothing to be said. Reality exists, and thus everything that could be thought or said has already either occurred and not, both at the same time as well as never at any time. The world was no longer even a speck but an infinitesimally small object, less than an Atom in the grand scheme of things, yet larger than anyone can comprehend at the same time, at all and no times.

The universe was an unchanging mass of dark matter, one that existed in the confines of opportunity to be created in to something distinct, rather than truly and indefinitely being one way or another. Even the rules stated previously, that there could be no escape unless reality willed it, or that everything exists yet doesn't exist, are rules that are not only subject to change while being unchangeable, they are both true and untrue.
There is no paradox, because for there to be a paradox there must be some sense, but there is no sense, and there is all of the sense, and there is nothing, and there is everything.

"it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing." -Macbeth, Act 5 Scene 5

These were my favorite kinds of stories to write; I try to include a level of symbolism, depth, or a general message that must be dug out of my stories and really read through again with the idea in mind to savor them fully. As a result, it's to my great merriment that I'll occasionally write something like this, with a bunch of fancy wording and contradictory babbling about the nature of the existential plane, and then at the bottom I'll include that quote from Macbeth I enjoy so much, as it's an indicator that what you just spent time trying to pick apart and make sense of has actually been an intentionally nonsensical tale the whole time.

The title is a part of the story. It provides context alongside the quote, in that the reader is the fool, and they are meant to recognize by the end of the story why, that they've been trying hard to find meaning in a meaningless tale, and upon coming to the realization they look at the story differently, hence, the Revelation of the Fool.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:

I think that pretty much covers it. Hoping to join in on the fun soon!
Welcome to CotH!

First, be sure to check out our servers rules and policies, just so you're well-versed on the foundation of the server. The server has a wealth of information at the Articles/Guides section of the forums, and I would highly suggest you consult at least one or two guides when you start a new character. We have a full download for the Cataclysm game folder for both Mac and PC available.

In-game, there are purple portals scattered about. The primary OOC area is under Neutral Hubs, and is named "GM Island". This is where people loiter between roleplaying. I would also suggest that you /join chat and /join barrens once you get in-game, as we tend to prefer keeping LFG open for people looking for roleplay. We also have a few commands of note available to all players. Firstly is .lo rp <item>. This command will show all spawn-able RP items that match the criteria of the name. Then, you take the six numbers next to the item and add them to .add <000000>. This armor is wearable, but holds the same armor restrictions as it would on retail (I.E., we don't have Priests in Cloth). We also have the .scale command, which functions from between .9 and 1.1, changing your in-game size.

--

I noticed that you have a love of Undead. Well, there has been a rather long storyline unfolding for them under @Sol. So, he may be good to talk to about that. Furthermore, it's glad to know that you like the introduction system. We primarily use it as a way to keep the quality of our RP here at CotH high.

That was a lovely story as well.
Quote:There is no paradox, because for there to be a paradox there must be some sense, but there is no sense, and there is all of the sense, and there is nothing, and there is everything.
That specific part... confused me, to say the least. It was all very loopy, but incredibly well-written.
Wondrous! I thank you kindly as well. I've taken the time to read through the rules, and I'll see about character creation now that it's available. I'm looking forward to joining up and testing the waters here.

Scalable size, roleplaying items....Yes, yes, I think I could make use of these things. It's going to be an interesting experience seeing how this all works out.

I'll try and put together a character profile while I wait for the client to finish downloading.

I'll see about contacting this Sol fellow and see about ingratiating myself in the midst of this story.

I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed the story. Hopefully I'll be able to make some vastly more coherent ones with the community in the not-so distant future.