Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Imps and Rainbows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, there's a quest ( Open Their Eyes ) that states that all imps are afraid of rainbows. It also states such on their WoWPedia page.

I was discussing this with another player, and they brought up the point that perhaps not all imps are afraid of rainbows, because they had a personal distaste for "omnipotent" NPCs, and perhaps this might lead to an OP imbalance wherein a person shines a flashlight at any imp, and they run screaming.

Is there an official server stance on this? Perhaps low-level imps, ala warlock minions are all terrified, but more powerful ones aren't?
I can't think of a situation where I've ever personally been able to make a rainbow on the spot, for what that's worth. As for more powerful imps, I've always been of the opinion that there... Isn't really such a thing. They might be strong, but I would never have an imp be the final boss of an encounter. That's just incredibly anticlimactic.
I'm now imagining demon hunters holding on to a prism and magic flashlight in case of emergency.

Anyway, this is one of those things that was put in a quest primarily for humor. I'm not sure it's a good idea to make much use of it without consent, especially against warlock-controlled imps.
I do understand the OP potential, but could it not also go the other way where all player controlled imps just so happen to be immune to this fear that is apparently wide-spread? I mean, what scary warlock would want their minion to be afraid of sparkly light?

"Oh yeah, all those imps are afraid, but mine isn't because blah blah reasons."

I hope I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill.

Edit: As well, I wonder how and where the line is drawn between "lore" and "just a funny quest". Not to make this super serious, but it seems arbitrary.
It -is- a bit arbitrary, not denying that. It comes with the territory when we RP in a setting that is full of pop-culture references and jokes, though.

I only bring this up because if you check the quest, it's another one of those reference things. Not one I personally recognize, but it is according to others. So, how seriously we should take it is up for personal debate, and I've no real desire to debate something as silly as whether imps are truly frightened of rainbows or not. Which is why I think it should be up to the event runners and the warlocks themselves, since there are ways to contest it even if it IS true canon. "Well, my control over the imp is strong enough that I have him overcome his fears because he has no choice" etc. etc.

Edit: Random aside...how likely is it that your average person would even know this tidbit?
Well we all know it now. And if I ever roll a Demonologist, their imp will be afraid of rainbows because I find this tragically hilarious.
So, I wonder if imps cry when someone shows up in gear from Burning Crusade.

"OH NO IT'S A WALKING ABOMINATION OF PRISMATIC LIGHT"
(03-04-2014, 07:15 PM)Harmonic Wrote: [ -> ]So, I wonder if imps cry when someone shows up in gear from Burning Crusade.

Except it wouldn't apply as everyone cries when they see Burning Crusade gear.

[Image: 1-179.jpg?itok=Idexj2uK]
(03-04-2014, 06:05 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: [ -> ]It -is- a bit arbitrary, not denying that. It comes with the territory when we RP in a setting that is full of pop-culture references and jokes, though.

I only bring this up because if you check the quest, it's another one of those reference things. Not one I personally recognize, but it is according to others.

Double Rainbow/Robot unicorn attack reference. The quest title is in reference to Robot Unicorn attack because of the lyrics that play, which are: "Open your eyes, I see, your eyes are open."

Double Rainbow as the imps quote:

It's so intense!
What does it mean?

Which is what the guy in the double rainbow video says.
... So does this rainbow creating trinket exist?
I must have it
"Open your eyes, I see, your eyes are open."

Welp, that's stuck in my head for the next week or so.
(03-04-2014, 05:34 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm now imagining demon hunters holding on to a prism and magic flashlight in case of emergency.

You seem to be under the impression that we don't already do this.. Demon Hunters must be prepared for anything..
(03-04-2014, 07:21 PM)c0rzilla Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2014, 07:15 PM)Harmonic Wrote: [ -> ]So, I wonder if imps cry when someone shows up in gear from Burning Crusade.

Except it wouldn't apply as everyone cries when they see Burning Crusade gear.

[Image: 1-179.jpg?itok=Idexj2uK]

A-At least they're half way to completing Tier 4... :'C
I can't help but see it as a wonderfully bizarre tidbit of random lore based upon so pop-culture reference I'm not familiar with. Embrace it people!