Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Obvious Facts that's not Obvious
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With RP out of reach for time being, I've found myself thinking a bit about it instead. What's dawned on me, is that things we view as obvious ain't really obvious in Warcraft. Being unable to bother people IC'ly with these things, I've decided to describe the only thing I managed to think of here: That the Head is what you think with.

My thought is that even though we say "Use your head!" or whatever while Roleplaying, there's no reason that a Warcraft Character should believe that the Head is what you think with. First off, they dont have the equipment to make detailed observations to figure it out. From the things they can make out without hi-tech equipment, I'd rather say it looks like the thoughts come from other places, while the brain just handles the sight, chewing, etc... The Heart, for instance. It's connected with the whole body! And sends blood (that could well carry information) to all of the body, all the time! I dont think there's any way they can see the Brain doing the same. Besides, spirits think, even though they dont have a head at all! (Not a concrete one, anyhow). My conclusion? The inhabitants of Azeroth does'nt think they use the head for thinking, but rather some other body-part, or even the soul or similar (seeing as Spirits and Ghosts think, I believe).

Is there anybody that's got anything to add to the theory, or something that proves me wrong? Is there any other things we see as so obvious that we let it carry over to our characters, without our character having any reason to actually believe it? I'd also be interested to know if there's anybody else that actually wander around thinking about these things :)
I would think Forsaken and other undead would believe the use of either the head or soul/essence to think, their hearts aren´t very... "active" while on the other hand if their heads/brains are seriously damaged they will die.
I agree with you, to an extent.
The Poorer and stupider would believe this, however the more educated among the world would know, or at least have theories.

That's my 2 PENCE.
Hrm, my point here is that there's no reason why the educated should believe it's the Head either :) I'd be more inclined to imagine that the peasants think "My head hurts after reading, meaning I used my head to think with," while the educated would say "The head hurts because you had to concentrate your view, meaning that the head only functions as a way to gather information. It is, however, connected to the heart that can process the information from the head. More evidence that the Head only works as a sensory thingymajigg".

As for the undead thing, it's a fair point. Then again, the Scourge is'nt dependant on thinking as far as I'm aware (atleast not the regular zombies), yet they cease to function when the head is wrecked too. Perhaps it rather points towards the head being vital in some other way, like something in connection with the magic that keeps them animated? In either case, I'll choose to believe that alliance doctors don't go to the Undercity to study anatomy :)
I´d think that Hogral is right with his thought here though, most races would probably think that they think with thier hearts or souls much like people did back in the old days on Earth.

Though there are signs of high tech in warcraft so we can´t really know for sure.
I agree with Nostra too,

but maybe the Goblins or the technologically more advanced races do have a more, you know, realistic outlook on their constitution, that they believe they think with their brains, not their hearts.

They build robots and all, so they need to have a certain knowledge of biology too, wouldn't you agree?
majketi Wrote:but maybe the Goblins or the technologically more advanced races do have a more, you know, realistic outlook on their constitution, that they believe they think with their brains, not their hearts.

Perhaps, but what would lead them to believe that thinking with the brain is more realistic than thinking with the heart or soul? They might, of course, have gotten inspiration from their robots and thought "hey, perhaps we're like that too!", but I can't see how they'd find any solid evidence for this. Then again, there's alot of stuff I can't see, so fill in if there's something I've overlooked please :)
I think you may have overlooked something.
Surgeons, the Apothecaries etc.
Apothecaries especially.
For instance, Alice stitched together Timtus, and the Undead make Abominations, but how would they know to connect a head and brain? I think those in the biological field of expertise would know, after all, if they don't how do flesh beasts exist?
Killachipmunk Wrote:I think you may have overlooked something.
Surgeons, the Apothecaries etc.
Apothecaries especially.
For instance, Alice stitched together Timtus, and the Undead make Abominations, but how would they know to connect a head and brain? I think those in the biological field of expertise would know, after all, if they don't how do flesh beasts exist?

While I think that Surgeons, Doctors and similar just dont know these things, and for that reason will use the wrong treatment in some cases, the point about Apotecharies is actually quite good. I have no idea how the Necromancers are able to sew together things that function without knowing these things, so perhaps they do? Or perhaps the whole thinking-thing has never been very important for raising mindless undead. Anybody that'd know this for sure?
Yeah, the apothecaries must know something about "that if the brain is connected to the body, the creature can do several primitive actions" or something like that. But of course, why would thoughts be there?

These are all valid arguments.
Maybe the mindless undead don't need a brain for thinking because they're commanded by the dark energy/Lich King/whatever?

The necromancers raised the dead and they obeyed. I just read a topic about zombies on WoWWiki. It says that the zombies are truly mindless because they can only follow orders for the energy that summoned them.

The Forsaken, seemed to regain their minds because the Lich King's power faded in the distant places where the Scourge armies resided. Maybe their brains were just "overpowered" by this superior energy for a certain time and they "got it back" later?