Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Elven Translation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question. Well, two, really.

First is, i've got a word document of a biiiig elven translation thing. Grey Company Dictionary, basically translates English to Elven. I've used it a couple of times to help name my characters, because that way it ties meaning into the name.

Basically, splits two ways. One, is this alright as WoW lore goes? I mean, its probably a different elven to WoW elven, but WoW elven is mostly a made up program to suit the purpose, this is a proper Tolkien translation from fantasy, a pillar of fantasy stuff. Even if the game mucks the translation, it gives character names some meaning.

So, s'it okay to use a name like that and keep the meaning, even if the game technicalities disagree?
And two, does anyone want a copy/me to upload? =)
Well, You can really use any name you want, as long as it follows the rules, though I don't know about acually having the meaning behind it. But I would certainly love a copy/upload.
Although elven is cool and all, the Tolkein elvish has no relation what-so-ever to the languages in WoW. I'd strongly discourage you using it as a way to speak to others, however, if you wish to name a character with an Elvish word there is no problem with that. HOWEVER, the meaning behind the name will not carry over.

So, lets say, if you make a character named somethingorother, and that means lotus, don't say ICly, "My name means Lotus in Darnassian!", since it's not the same.
I looked that dictionary up. Pretty cool to talk in elvish.

Here is the book of phrases and here is the full english to elvish dictionary.

Edit: Also found this, which is a guide on how to write in Tolkien elvish! Also very cool.
Rightio. And i've been beaten to posting how to get it hehe, glad someones interested. And yes, I can understand about the calling it Darnassian, but I just thought it'd be kinda cool to find an actual meaning to a name instead'a plucking one out of the air. Ho hum.
Unfortunately, elves are widespread throughout folklore and fantasy genre, and are never quite the same from one lore source to another. The way I treat it is that there are different "species" of elf (or orc, or dwarf, or dragon, or pixie, or whatever), and that things that apply to one "species" does not apply to another.

It's a little heartbreaking, because it would give us so much more lore to go from if we could just pick up a book from a different author and have the lore (especially if they go into detail on culture or language) apply perfectly to ours. As it stands, though, the Tolkien RPers get all the cool toys.
This is all quite cool. Wish there were more on the warcraft languages. Very sparse even on wowwiki