Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Mi Casa!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This seems like the right place to post this question, possible suggestion. Are we allowed to claim an area as our living area, such as a building somewhere that there are no NPC's in and little traffic to. Because I would think it a good idea for players to have their own sort of "pad" they could chill in or whatever. Just throwing it out there, maybe we could even post in our Character sheets what place we want or something.
From what I remember, you can say a place is your house as much as you want, but don't expect GMs to defend it. I.E., guards will not be spawned, and claims of tresspassing will not be ecknoledged.
well I was just wondering if we could be bold enough to make the claim of territory lol, trespassing should be handled IC if you ask me. Thanks for answering though.
But I remember from a RP server I once played on that they draw a map over SW, and then people could write which buildings they claimed as theirs. So for example the house in Cut-throat valley would be occupied by one person, and then it belongs to him. But again, limited houses and maybe a lot of people want a house so it just ends up with some people being mad? I just thought this idea might help the discussion ^^
I'm going to comment because a bajillion months ago this actually caused a problem and fight.

The way I always have handled housing, is by "claiming" an empty abode that I rarely see people near as mine. Claiming is in quotes because it really only matters to me and whoever I bring along with me to said house.
"Trespassing" is handled as 'Oh, actually I have something to do away from home and should go do that instead.'
I find an IC reason to not be at 'home' at the moment and go about my business.
With so many people it's almost impossible to keep track of who lives where and worry about stepping on toes.

Also, if you decide to try and approach 'trespassers' and they ask you politely in whispers to find a different and less violent approach, it's best for everyone to nicely come to an agreeable concession. :)
Since housing isn't custom right now, and likely isn't going to be (There's a lot more to be taken care of on the server than giving players a place to play house), it's easier on everyone and you to just go with the flow and play along with others.
Claiming and then trying to defend a location with force or angry words usually ends badly for one or both of the parties involved. :\

Just my experience and two cents.
Not sure if this would be considered ressurecting a fairly old topic, but when I used to run a private server, we had player-housing, and it's very possible. It's possible to obtain the codes for spawning houses (of different styles as well, including a cathedral-style for guild housing), boats & zeppelins (stationary), etc (as objects of course; like spawning a table). I'm sure people have suggested this however, so it probably won't do any good, but I do still have the database tables containing the codes. And as for trespassing, it'd still be possible, but players wouldn't be taking residence in some cave or area of possible RP. Not to mention, it'd be interesting to see civilization growing, with houses, boats, and zeppelins owned by the players, spawned around Azeroth. As said above, it'd also be interesting for guilds, as they would be able to have a guild house. Although I doubt it'd pass by you guys, if you want the codes, I still have them.
Yeah, they used to do that, the whole player housing thing. It takes too much effort and work into doing it, and really. . . Why do people really need to be playing house? . . ./glares, Unless you guys are doing naughty things! But that is for another rant post.

But yeah, they used to do it and decided against it just because it became too tiresome.
And because all the players did was sit alone in their respective houses... And not go out to RP with other people!
What I do is normally pick a place I stay for a while but not live, sort of use it as a place for meetings, plotting, scheming all that good stuff. But I don't make my character actually live in the place or attack "trespassers" as it's not my land, well I would attack someone if they were in that place at the wrong time, per say. But as I said my character just plots there, he doesn't live there.

Edit: Normally it's a place that has no NPC's what so ever.
Well, player housing makes for more RP.

And as houses are added in one area, it becomes a civilization, and a new town can arise...
We certainly could do it, but we probably won't.
These services typically require intensive maintenance on the part of a DM, at least as far as my NWN1/2 experience has indicated, and I feel this server benefits more from keeping any such resources dedicated to ongoing story-lines. However, I will of course note that player housing would prove a fine addition should we find ourselves with more DMs available in the future. :)
Honestly, my opinion is that player housing would take most of the GM's time and they're doing a pretty damned good job of making our server the great RP server it is. Now as Shivali said player housing would make players stick to their homes instead of going out and role playing in different places in the world. Look at Stromgarde for instance, it has enough houses/shops to home most of the people online, so if the homes were spread out all over the map it would be pretty darn ridiculous. But as I've posted before if you want the player house feeling just go to an empty place without NPC's and host player to player meetings and guild meetings as such. There's no need for player housing, really.
Player housing would be great, it is just that there is so limited space in Azeroth. Also an idea is for strong guilds/ player factions is if they could apply for an area/house. Say a group for the Scarlet Crusade was ran responsibly and they may take Hearthglen base of operations.

Hard to maintain if there are tons of players chomping for the same location. However it does add to the depth of RP. It can lead to playing favorites.

A hit and miss sort of thing, player / guild housing, however great fun if done right. >:+)
Actually it would lead to a bunch of RP's that are in weird places and uneasy to get involved in.