Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Introducing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. First things first! Did you read the rules, policies, and FAQs?
Indeed. Still working my way through the parts of the Wiki that seem less urgent, actually, like the character profiles n' stuff.

2. How did you hear about us?
You're the #1 result on Google for "wow private rp server." I figured that's got to count for something, especially considering that most of the other results were just Top 100 lists of some kind.

3. How did you get into RP?
I've always had a bit of an overactive imagination, and much of my pre-teenage youth was spent in the juvenile equivalent of LARPing or writing stories (you'll never see me claim that any of them were good, though). Around the time I was fourteen I had a friend who was into tabletop games who tried to introduce me to his own homebrewed system, what I realize now was a much-simplified version of D&D. I moved away before I could really get into anything, but roleplaying had its wicked hooks in me and I learned what I could on my own. I've read a lot and made a few games of my own to play with friends or family over the last decade or so, but never had the resources (or enough friends who were either already knowledgable or interested) to get into a real game, and to this day I've still never had a real tabletop RPG experience, to my regret.

However, fourteen was also around the first time I got a computer of my own (that ran on something other than DOS) and the wide wonderful world of the Internet was opened to me. My natural inclination towards reading and writing and my burgeoning interest in roleplaying lead me to find an MSN Group or two rooted in some of my favorite fictional worlds at the time (I think Anne McCaffrey's Pern was the first), and things spiralled wonderfully out of control from that point. I've been a member and sometimes manager of numerous message board RPs in various genres that have come and gone over the years and am still active in a couple.

4. How did you get into Warcraft?
My first Warcraft experience was with the original game, found on the school computers of all things. I used to play against other students before and after classes and never got into the single-player side of things. Later on I got heavily into StarCraft after Brood War came out and followed everything coming out of Blizzard from that point on. Once WarCraft III came out I got into the single player campaign almost exclusively, since I had no reliable internet access at the time, and my interest in the lore prompted me to go back and take a look at Warcraft II.

By the time information began to spread about World of Warcraft, I had some experience in MMOs (mostly playing Ragnarok Online - or Get Better Hat Online, as we came to call it, which I've dabbled in on and off since, crude though the game may be - no moment in any MMO has yet topped the glorious day my Sage got to dual wield books in combat. For the un-RO-initiated, sages use tomes as weapons. It may interest you that my hat was also a book. Yes, I was a little obsessed). When the game finally went live, unfortunately, all my friends jumped on the bandwagon while I was left unable to afford the game (and, again, with unreliable internet access); it wasn't until a couple years later that I got the chance to make a couple characters on a roommate's account and finally learn what the game was all about. I never got too far, though; my highest level character was a level 20 Tauren Warrior.

In December 2007 my girlfriend and I were finally able to purchase our own copies of WoW. We played until around March last year, then switched over to private WoW servers so we could still play when finances got tighter; our experience with said servers was... somewhat lacking. Just before we left Blizzard's servers, we were trying out an RP server for the first time; it seemed a bit anemic, but someone mentoined to us we should try a private RP server. They neglected to mention a specific one, though, and I wasn't able to find one myself that looked at all promising at the time. Now, our interest in WoW has been steadily rekindling, and my hunt for a good RP server has lead me to CotH. Just keep in mind that, overall, I'm relatively inexperienced as a WoW player; I've never had a character reach level 40, even.

As for my knowledge of Warcraft lore, time has unfortunately dulled that blade, but I look forward to rediscovering its nuances and learning new things.

5. What is your favorite race/class?
I have a problem.

I like to call it "characteritis." When faced with a choice of races and classes in an RPG, I find myself driven to experience at least one instance of each if the number of available character slots/save files allows. Along with the usually limited play time I have, I end up with a bunch of characters with whom I have made little progress. This taste for variety has led me to compromise and try to limit myself to a couple characters that I can focus on as long as they're versatile enough to hold my interest. WoW has accomodated me with its dedicated hybrid classes, and these are my favorites, the shaman and the druid, but I still like to mess around with the other classes once in a while; rogues and warlocks are probably the class I have the least experience with.

I don't really have a preference for race - I typically end up trying to either pick the race that seems best suited to the class I want to play, or take the opposite route and pick a race/class combo that defies an implied stereotype (I had a lot of fun with my Gnome Warrior). For druids, I prefer Night Elf over Tauren, but I like any of the available races for a shaman; it just depends on what kind of character I want to make at the moment. If I have a least favorite race it's probably Human; they're so much less fantastical, and I see them all the time in real life. Still, sometimes it's nice to be more mundane. I also usually avoid making Undead characters; I think they're cool too, don't get me wrong, but my girlfriend doesn't like them.

Regardless of anything else, I'm going to end up making a Night Elf druid as one of my characters, because in any RPG we play my girlfriend will unerringly make a character in whatever archer/hunter/ranger type class is available (if it can be an elf, all the better, and she prefers Night Elves over Blood Elves); and a druid seems the most fitting (and useful) to go along with her. I suppose I could try a warrior so I can still tank for her, but I like being able to go caster when I solo if I feel like it, and being able to heal her and her pet when necessary is a nice bonus. Besides, I'm probably going to remake that Gnome Warrior if I can.

Yeah, I like to play bodyguard, though I don't pretend to be that good at it yet.

6. What is your favorite kind of character to play?
I have a fondness for the tragic hero. Though not the emo kind; just someone who has either a great tragedy in their past, or a terrible fate looming in their future. Or both, for fun! My characters tend to have a strong sense of humor regardless of any troubled history (though good humor does not necessarily equate to quality humor, so you can expect some lame jokes and puns, without getting too annoying), and it's rare to see them being overly serious, poking fun at themselves when they or someone else catches them doing it.

Of course, I make many kinds of characters for the sake of variety.

7. What is your favorite kind of RP?
The... good kind?

I don't have a real preference, or anything I outright avoid either, but by their nature my characters often disrupt or interrupt serious situations, intentionally or otherwise.

8. Do you have any hobbies (outside of Warcraft)/talents/stupid human tricks?
My first and forever love is for reading. I am a verifiable readaholic; I get itchy if I have nothing to read while eating, riding, even watching TV sometimes; pretty much any activity where my hands are free and my mind is unoccupied. I devour books, and I'm not too picky about them either as long as they're decent fantasy or scifi. I am the only person I know of so far who, as a child, was grounded because of - or even restricted from, in an ironic twist of typical parental behavior - reading too much.

Writing and drawing (though I excel at neither, I like to think I'm halfway decent, and could probably get better if I actually practiced) are close seconds, and games when I have time. I particularly enjoy strategy games, both analog and digital, and play a few tabletop games of the card and miniature variety when I have willing vict... opponents. I also enjoy anime and manga.

And pretty much anything involving robots. Especially giant robots.

9. What country are you from?
California.

No, I did not misread the question.

10. Remember question #1? Do you agree to abide by the rules and policies?
Wouldn't be here if I didn't.
Welcome to the server!